DDR3 Memory

Having problems installing that new stick of memory? Found some great software or having issues with something? Or maybe want to chat about your PlayStation, X-Box, Nintendo, Sega, even your old Spectrum 48k....! Or maybe something you want to sell or acquire (computing related of course!). Let us know here...
Ben

DDR3 Memory

Post by Ben »

Hi Guys,

Any good websites you know of for buying DDR3 RAM from? I propose a little competition to see who can find the cheapest!  :lol:

Basically the new motherboard i have got doesn't like DDR2 chips which is highly annoying seeing as i have 4GB of DDR2 800Mhz RAM!! (The motherboard slot prevents it from being inserted and instead wants DDR3 modules. :(

Also can anyone think of any BOINC project that would benefit from a higher RAM speed? For cheapness i would think 1066Mhz RAM would be good enough, but if there is enough evidence for improving run times, or any other kind of benefit to BOINC i might consider getting 1333Mhz. Thanks!

Unfortunately no prize, other then the warm feeling you get for helping a team member out  :lol:
UBT - bobuk
Active UBT Contributor 10+ yrs

Post by UBT - bobuk »

hey pizza boy.......
i have never had any probs with these ppl

http://www.crucial.com/uk/store/drammem ... _google_uk

let them scan your pc

ill take the hobnobs now  :lol:

b. :D
Ben

Post by Ben »

UBT - bobuk wrote:hey pizza boy.......
i have never had any probs with these ppl

http://www.crucial.com/uk/store/drammem ... _google_uk

let them scan your pc

ill take the hobnobs now  :lol:

b. :D

I can't use the scanner as i can't even boot the PC without the RAM lol. I need the ram before i am able to do anything  :wink:

But yes, crucial where very good the last time i used them.  :D
Timby

Post by Timby »

Hi Ben, now who should have read the spec's on the board !!   :wink:

The best value for money I found was EBay Item Number 370325522079 don't know what the quality is like but I would have gone for a "known" brand!!

£59.99 for 4 Gigs P&P FOC 2nd class post
Rotwang1985

Re: DDR3 Memory

Post by Rotwang1985 »

Ben wrote:Hi Guys,

Any good websites you know of for buying DDR3 RAM from? I propose a little competition to see who can find the cheapest!  :lol:

Basically the new motherboard i have got doesn't like DDR2 chips which is highly annoying seeing as i have 4GB of DDR2 800Mhz RAM!! (The motherboard slot prevents it from being inserted and instead wants DDR3 modules. :(

Also can anyone think of any BOINC project that would benefit from a higher RAM speed? For cheapness i would think 1066Mhz RAM would be good enough, but if there is enough evidence for improving run times, or any other kind of benefit to BOINC i might consider getting 1333Mhz. Thanks!

Unfortunately no prize, other then the warm feeling you get for helping a team member out  :lol:
This is my my local computer shop excellent prices on all items (especially as I can just nip & pick them up) although the staff are a bit smarmy/cocky/tw@tty.
This is a good site Scan.co.uk - RAM (tends to cost more than above but a more extensive catalogue), although I have never bought from them - just use them as a comparison shop.

I think the speed of the RAM is best matched properly with the processor that you have, I know that the latest Intel i3/i5/i7 cpus in socket 1156 or 1366 can use the 1333MHz, my brother has an iMac with DDR3 SODIMMs & they are ridiculously expensive.

Hope this helps
Ben

Post by Ben »

Thanks both, decided I'd play it safe and went with Dabs in the end. Although i now wonder whether i should have got it from Ebay :( Nice find there Timby!

Also thanks Rotwang  :D You made a valid point there about the FSB, as my CPU FSB only goes upto 1066Mhz. However for other memory intensive projects such as Rosetta, CPDN (i think), and Freehal i think they would gain from the extra 'umphh' that 1333Mhz would provide (also the 1066Mhz ram is just as expensive as the 1333Mhz give or take a few quid) :S

I'll see how it goes  :D