XP -> 7

Having problems installing that new stick of memory? Found some great software or having issues with something? Or maybe want to chat about your PlayStation, X-Box, Nintendo, Sega, even your old Spectrum 48k....! Or maybe something you want to sell or acquire (computing related of course!). Let us know here...
watsonuraby

XP -> 7

Post by watsonuraby »

I want to get Windows 7. Just for the shit of it. I don't want to do dual boot as that's a lot of work and my hard drive already has 2 partitions on it.

Basically, what I want to do is just put Windows 7 in place of XP, which I'm pretty sure I can do.

My hard drive has 2 partitions. One is C:, which is where Windows XP is installed. The other is D:, which has all my important data (including games). So basically I already backed my system up. However, what I want to know is if I can even do this without consequence. If I were to just clear out the C: partition and install Windows 7 on it, would I still be able to access the D: partition without any issues? Or would I have to reformat that partition to so Windows 7 could interact with it? I have reinstalled Windows XP on C: before without having to do anything to D:, but that's probably because I made both partitions when installing XP the first time...

Anyway, any info would be appreciated.
UBT - Mikee
Marvin the Dalek

Post by UBT - Mikee »

AFAIR there should be no problems with the D partition. This is what I did (by mistake as it happens). I've still got E: and F: both untouched by the installation. I assume you know that the C: will be wiped by Windoze 7.
However, I read somewhere that if you can get hold of a copy of Vista, install that without registering, then install Windoze 7 that may be a happier way of installation without wiping the C:.

(All advice given is purely conjecture and if anything goes wrong please don't hesitate to.... blame Microsoft!)
Follow us on Twitter... http://twitter.com/UKBOINCTeam

Image Image