Version 6.10.17 Recommended

Anything "BOINC" specific can be commented on here...such as Project news and announcements etc. Also: any problems with BOINC or maybe you have found something interesting, tell us about it. Chat about the various 3rd party client applications used for some of the projects such as optimised clients.
Timby

Version 6.10.17 Recommended

Post by Timby »

Just a heads up for any one who likes to keep up to date with the BM.

http://boinc.berkeley.edu/download_all.php

Mark
UBT - Rick Horn

Post by UBT - Rick Horn »

Thanks for that Mark.  :D
UBT - The Prof....

Post by UBT - The Prof.... »

Updated. Cheers :wink:
UBT - Mikee
Marvin the Dalek

Post by UBT - Mikee »

Just to throw a spanner in the works!

I've had trouble with both this version and 6.10.16. On the AMD - no probs. On the quad though, for some reason it sets the 'Use CPU cores' to 0. All 4 cores just sit there with 'waiting to run' showing. GPU still runs fine. Tried all sorts to get them started but the manager just over-rides anything I put in. So I've had to revert back to 6.6.38. Ho hum...
Follow us on Twitter... http://twitter.com/UKBOINCTeam

Image Image

UBT - The Prof....

Post by UBT - The Prof.... »

Also having probs.                                                                            
Going back to older version :(
UBT - Rick Horn

Post by UBT - Rick Horn »

No problems found here. Both rigs Intel Vista dual core.
UBT - bobuk
Active UBT Contributor 10+ yrs

Post by UBT - bobuk »

no probs here  AMD quad all running fine for the past two days....

b. :D
Timby

Post by Timby »

Sorry to hear some of you not getting on with the latest recommended manager, it's working fine on all my PC's, 32 and 64 bit alike, but thats obviously no help to you  :shock:
UBT - Mikee
Marvin the Dalek

Post by UBT - Mikee »

Got a reply from the forum
Please check in your BOINC Data directory if you have a file called cc_config.xml
If you do, open it and look for the line <ncpus>0</ncpus>.
If that one is in there, either remove it, or change it to <ncpus>-1</ncpus> (that's minus one). Then exit BOINC & restart it.

The ncpus line is really only for debugging, it can be used to run more tasks per CPU than you actually have CPUs. In BOINC 6.4.5 to 6.5.0 it was used to add 1 so you could run work on the CPUs and GPUs at the same time.

In BOINC 6.6 the separate CPU and GPU schedulers were added, so you wouldn't need this line. You probably changed it at the time to <ncpus>0</ncpus>.

This later changed as the possibility was added to not run work on the CPUs, but only on the GPU. So to disable all CPUs, a value of zero for ncpus was no CPUs, To disable the ncpus option, the line either had to be removed or it had to get the value of minus one.

This change of how it worked was never back-ported properly to release versions of BOINC 6.6.
Just done as suggested, though mine said <ncpus></ncpus> , reloaded 6.10.17 and all good now.
Follow us on Twitter... http://twitter.com/UKBOINCTeam

Image Image

Temujin

Post by Temujin »

Nice find Mikey :thumbup:
I bet that catches a few people

I've installed it on a few machines and it's working well apart from 1 machine.
I'm only running GPU on these machines and what I want it to do is run milkyway while it has MW WUs and then switch to CollatzCon when it runs out of MW Wus.  It works fine on 8 machines but I have 1 machine that just wants to run Collatz, the only way I can get it to run MW is to suspend Collatz Image
hgblade

Post by hgblade »

Temujin wrote:I have 1 machine that just wants to run Collatz, the only way I can get it to run MW is to suspend Collatz Image
I've got a similar problem on one machine, John, although it's an improvement on how it used to be when it wanted to run both MW and Collatz together on one ATI GPU