PrimeGrid: Dog Days of Summer Challenge

This section is where you can post topics related to Challenges from other websites, such as Formula-BOINC, SETI-Germany and BOINCstats, as well as project challenges such as from WCG, PrimeGrid et al.

As a Team, we really want to engage as many team members with these challenges, as this gives us a great way of attracting more members to our Team...plus we get to show our strengths as a Team by (hopefully) doing well in each one.

PS: I have moved lots of topics into this section where they are relevant...as you can see, we've always been happy to take part in Challenges...and long may that continue ;-)
melter65
Active UBT Contributor

PrimeGrid: Dog Days of Summer Challenge

Post by melter65 »

Two days into the latest PG Challenge, The Dog Days of Summer.

Well Done to idb for being the first member of UBT to get on the participants scoreboard and thus getting UBT on the teams scoreboard!  8)

These are long, arduous wu's and I think you'll agree with me when I say I'm glad most of the PG challenges use the faster wu's! :shock:

Expect to see more UBT members on the scoreboard within the next 12hrs!

Keep Crunching! :twisted:
idb

Post by idb »

Welcome to the scoreboard melter65, and to phoghorn who appeared yesterday.

The wus are a bit of a struggle but I think it is a bit of a shame that the challenge is not slightly longer.  That might have made it possible to do a little manipulation (not running all available cores for example) to eke out an extra workunit or two - made it more "challenging"  :D

As it stands all you can really do is sit back and let the machines get on with it...

I should have another 8 tasks finishing in the next 20 hours (unforseen problems permitting) so, with a bit of luck, I should finish in the top 100.  

Not sure where the team will end up, 15-20 looks likely.

Ian
melter65
Active UBT Contributor

Post by melter65 »

I've got another 2x60hr wu's running on the lappy (@22% done) and still running 4 of the 'biggies' on the quad, looking like 150hrs long (@48% done)

Of course we need to do the long wu challenges as well as the shorter, prettier ones. Cleverly, PG challange results add up over the year for a grand total at the end of the year! :D

I'm not knocking PG for this, it's a good way of ensuring teams don't just 'cherry pick' the popular challenges.
melter65
Active UBT Contributor

Post by melter65 »

Stats for the end of the Dog Days Challenge:

---------------------------------------------------

23rd - UBT (#1 UK Team!)

96th - idb (Nice One Ian! :D )

180th - phoghorn

187th - Iain Harvey

231st - melter65

247th - UBT - Knightlight

Well Done to everyone who took part! 8)  :D  :D  :D
idb

Post by idb »

melter65 wrote: Well Done to everyone who took part! 8)  :D  :D  :D
Yes, well done everyone.  I don't think 23rd was too bad with 5 people contributing.  

The next challenge* should be a bit less taxing on processors so, hopefully, we might see a few more people joining in.

Ian

*2nd to 3rd of October using the Proth Prime Search (PPS) application - about 10 mins/wu.
melter65
Active UBT Contributor

Post by melter65 »

idb wrote:
melter65 wrote: Well Done to everyone who took part! 8)  :D  :D  :D
Yes, well done everyone.  I don't think 23rd was too bad with 5 people contributing.  

The next challenge* should be a bit less taxing on processors so, hopefully, we might see a few more people joining in.

Ian

*2nd to 3rd of October using the Proth Prime Search (PPS) application - about 10 mins/wu.
And it's only a 48hr Challenge! :D