WU Restrictions

Anything "BOINC" specific can be commented on here...such as Project news and announcements etc. Also: any problems with BOINC or maybe you have found something interesting, tell us about it. Chat about the various 3rd party client applications used for some of the projects such as optimised clients.
Dan

WU Restrictions

Post by Dan »

Can anyone tell me how I might restrict the number of concurrent WUs that my client works on at any one time (overall / per project). Every time I allow MilkyWay to grab some more work it gets a little overzealous and starts trying to crunch away on 8 or so WUs which tends to be a bit much for my machine. Can I change a setting in a config file somewhere to force MW to only work on say 2-3 WUs at a time?
Temujin

Re: WU Restrictions

Post by Temujin »

Dan wrote:Can anyone tell me how I might restrict the number of concurrent WUs that my client works on at any one time (overall / per project). Every time I allow MilkyWay to grab some more work it gets a little overzealous and starts trying to crunch away on 8 or so WUs which tends to be a bit much for my machine. Can I change a setting in a config file somewhere to force MW to only work on say 2-3 WUs at a time?
If you're crunching MW on an ATI GPU, then although it looks like they're all running, only 3 (by default) will be actually running.
Have a look at the readme file that came with the ATI opti app and it will explain how to change the number of running processes but AFAIK they will all still appear to be running
UBT - Mikee
Marvin the Dalek

Post by UBT - Mikee »

You can restrict how many cores BOINC uses if that's what you mean.

Make sure you're in the 'advance view' of the manager. Goto 'advanced' > 'preferences'. At 'On multiprocessor systems, use at most ??? of the processors. 75% on a 4 core machine would reduce you to using 3 of the 4 cores.
Follow us on Twitter... http://twitter.com/UKBOINCTeam

Image Image

Dan

Re: WU Restrictions

Post by Dan »

Temujin wrote:
Dan wrote:Can anyone tell me how I might restrict the number of concurrent WUs that my client works on at any one time (overall / per project). Every time I allow MilkyWay to grab some more work it gets a little overzealous and starts trying to crunch away on 8 or so WUs which tends to be a bit much for my machine. Can I change a setting in a config file somewhere to force MW to only work on say 2-3 WUs at a time?
If you're crunching MW on an ATI GPU, then although it looks like they're all running, only 3 (by default) will be actually running.
Have a look at the readme file that came with the ATI opti app and it will explain how to change the number of running processes but AFAIK they will all still appear to be running
Ah thanks, that's what I was getting at... I'd been playing with it and I was certain that they were running faster when I manually disabled the 'inactive' jobs. Perhaps I was just seeing what I wanted to see.