4th Weekend Crunch - Voting Time

This section is where you can post topics related to Challenges from other websites, such as Formula-BOINC, SETI-Germany and BOINCstats, as well as project challenges such as from WCG, PrimeGrid et al.

As a Team, we really want to engage as many team members with these challenges, as this gives us a great way of attracting more members to our Team...plus we get to show our strengths as a Team by (hopefully) doing well in each one.

PS: I have moved lots of topics into this section where they are relevant...as you can see, we've always been happy to take part in Challenges...and long may that continue ;-)
UBT - Halifax-lad

4th Weekend Crunch - Voting Time

Post by UBT - Halifax-lad »

Time to part decide on what the next project will be for the weekend crunch near to the end of June.

Now this 1st vote is just to see what type of project we would be interested in doing, rather than me having to list every project under the sun.

So the categories are

Space,                 Eg, Both SETI projects & Einstein
Climate                Eg, All 3 CPDN Projects
Maths                   Eg, SZTAKI & HashClash & Primegrid
Life Science          Eg, Rosetta, WCG, QMC, LHC, Predictor, RALPH, SIMAP
Engineering          Eg, uFluids
Improving BOINC Eg, Xtremlab

Note any projects that have account creation closed are not going to be listed above or those projects not deemed stable Eg BURP

So depending on what is the main vote cast on this poll another will be opened once this one has shut down (14 days time) with the projects that relate to that category.

If Engineering or Improving BOINC Win then another poll will not be needed seen as though these only contain 1 project each.

Any projects with account creation currently disabled also won't make it into the final poll.

If I have missed any major category then let me know and will amend the poll.
Last edited by UBT - Halifax-lad on Thu Jun 22, 2006 11:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
UBT - Mikee
Marvin the Dalek

Post by UBT - Mikee »

Arggh - NOT Climate types! Waste of resoures as far as I'm concerned! They take waaay too long and after the crunch I'd just abort any going.

Hashclash is sort of marking time until they decide what to do next, Primegrid have run out of resources and just rechecking aborted/duff runs from earlier.

I think there was a general concensus not to do Seti again this year.

We've just done a 'lifescience' type, so someone elses turn.

So, for me, it leaves 'Einstein' (could be fun if we all have optimised clients running), Engineering (did have a prob with uFluids taking ages to validate) and Improving BOINC (Xtremlab - I like that one - you get loads of short (10 minute) WU's and no validation either).
Follow us on Twitter... http://twitter.com/UKBOINCTeam

Image Image

UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Re: 4th Weekend Crunch - Voting Time

Post by UBT - Timbo »

UBT - Halifax--lad wrote:Time to part decide on what the next project will be for the weekend crunch near to the end of June......

Hi all,

From my point of view, I know that some of the more interesting projects are not yet fully open to the public......and that's a great shame, as some do need "extra help".

So, I have a solution that might help.....

I'm quite prepared to allow my own username/password to be used by Forum members (only) on a specific "closed" project for the course of a Weekend Crunch, on the understanding that it will only be used to crunch.

This then opens up other projects to the possibility of generating credits.

Of course, from my personal point of view, I get all the credits. So, some might object to this. On the other hand, it does mean that the projects can be crunched...!

And as long as some smart-arse doesn't decide to change the username and password and filch off with all the work, then it might help us to consider other projects - and I have accounts with all of them except BOINC Alpha and LHC Alpha.

regards,

Tim
UBT - Mikee
Marvin the Dalek

Post by UBT - Mikee »

I foresee a couple of probs apart from the obvious which you've all ready mentioned.

If projects are 'closed' I assumed that that means they're generally at Alpha stage, prone to hic-coughs, validation may take longer as there are less people around to compare results with, on the other hand they may only want to limit it as their bandwidth is limited or only want a small number crunching for their own reasons.

But...

I think the main drawback will be that you've automatically excluded 90% of the team by limiting it to just forum members - there's no way round that unless you want your password to be generally known to all and sundry.

Personally, I think it's a very generous idea, but frought with dangers, so I think we should stick to a project that can be accessed by everyone.
Follow us on Twitter... http://twitter.com/UKBOINCTeam

Image Image

UBT - Halifax-lad

A project should only be done if it is open to all, it is unacceptable to dish out your user name & password or anyone else's.

Lets just wait and see what the forum members say
UBT - PaulT

Post by UBT - PaulT »

UBT - Timbo wrote:
I'm quite prepared to allow my own username/password to be used by Forum members (only) on a specific "closed" project for the course of a Weekend Crunch, on the understanding that it will only be used to crunch.

This then opens up other projects to the possibility of generating credits.

Of course, from my personal point of view, I get all the credits. So, some might object to this. On the other hand, it does mean that the projects can be crunched...!

And as long as some smart-arse doesn't decide to change the username and password and filch off with all the work, then it might help us to consider other projects - and I have accounts with all of them except BOINC Alpha and LHC Alpha.

regards,

Tim
Thank's for the offer Tim, but I don't think that handing out your password to anyone is a good idea.  

Whilst I'm sure that none of us on the team would abuse this, their are those, particually from other teams that read this forum and given some of the antics we have seen recently, I do feel that someone could take the you know what.
UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Post by UBT - Timbo »

UBT - Mikeejones wrote:I foresee a couple of probs apart from the obvious which you've all ready mentioned......

Hi Mike,

You're quite right to mention the things you have....

On the other hand is the issue about a "worthy" project to crunch for.

Some projects have already featured in a "crunch" and so are excluded (for now).

Others have so few members, it's a wonder if anyone would want to join in, especially if the number of available WU's are "limited".

So, I was just postulating whether if it was a "good idea" to allow limited access to the username for one project that has goodly numbers of WU's - but maybe isn't open generally.

And it as limited to forum members for one main reason - you are the guys who tend to participate more in (on?) crunches than the main membership.

As I mentioned, the issue here is to find a project that satisfies one MAIN criteria - Must have plenty of available "short-duration" WU's (ie - dn't take MONTHS to complete !!).

And the second criteria: Enough people must want to crunch for it....!

So, it's an idea. And it might be a solution to finding a suitable project (Malaria is one - plenty of work and a well run project, as far as I can tell!).

regards,

Tim
UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Post by UBT - Timbo »

UBT - PaulT wrote:Thank's for the offer Tim, but I don't think that handing out your password to anyone is a good idea.  

Whilst I'm sure that none of us on the team would abuse this, their are those, particually from other teams that read this forum and given some of the antics we have seen recently, I do feel that someone could take the you know what.

To be honest, it wasn't going to be made available to EVERYONE !!

Just a select few, who've shown they can be trusted and who happen to be members of the forum.

For everyone else, the password is *£^&"$*-^) - oh dear, it's come out corrupted... :D

regards,

Tim
UBT - Halifax-lad

I don't see why we are saying we could do this or do that or we need to find a suitable one, its down to a vote, so let the members chose what they want to do, and if SETI came up again then that would be the one in my book as that is what has been voted on.

So in around 3 weeks we will know for definite what the forum members have chosen

PS Malaria cannot be one account creation is closed
RodEllery

Post by RodEllery »

Well thaks for the offer Tim, but I think no.

We want the Crunchathons to be available to all not just a 'trusted' few.

What we need to do is get all the other team members to participate.

--
Rod
UBT - Halifax-lad

1 week left to go and Xtremlab seems to be winning at the moment, so if you have not voted yet now is the time to do so.

Advantage of Xtremlab if it wins anyone on Linux & Windows can participate as the WU's are tiny and take around 10 mins.
splodger

Post by splodger »

Just to say that on Rosetta@home, you can set the time you want to crunch a WU for: anything from 1 to 24 hours. Just set it in your r@h preferences.

So if you wanted 1 hour WUs, then you could.
Temujin

Post by Temujin »

splodger wrote:Just to say that on Rosetta@home, you can set the time you want to crunch a WU for: anything from 1 to 24 hours. Just set it in your r@h preferences.

So if you wanted 1 hour WUs, then you could.
Does Einstein have this sort of thing built into it?
Reason I ask is that I have a wide range of PCs, P2 upto P4D@3200 and they all seem to crunch WUs in about the same time, usually 45 minutes.
UBT - Halifax-lad

No only Rosetta due to the nature of the WU's as all it needs to do is fold proteins, Einstein doesn't do this so needs to work through a whole WU
UBT - Halifax-lad

Xtremlab Wins :!:  :!:
:wav:
UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Post by UBT - Timbo »

UBT - Halifax--lad wrote:Xtremlab Wins :!:  :!:
:wav:
Great stuff.

So, now WHEN should it start???

Options:

24th/25th June (The birthday weekend!!)

or

1st/2nd July

And WHICH project should the "back-up" (in case XL has no work or the site is down !)

regards

Tim
UBT - Halifax-lad

Backup project should just be whatever the people participating wish it to be, that way there's no arguments over it :lol:
UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Post by UBT - Timbo »

UBT - Halifax--lad wrote:Backup project should just be whatever the people participating wish it to be, that way there's no arguments over it :lol:

Arguments.....? Nope not here....we never have arguments......!

So, you don't think it's neccesary to "spotlight" a different project in case XL is down - and we'll just leave it to members to crunch for their normal project choices if there's no work for XL?

regards,

Tim
UBT - Halifax-lad

Yup its easier if everyone just chooses there own back-up project gives them a bit of choice over the crunch rather than this is what we would like you to do
Darren

Post by Darren »

According to the poll, improving boinc wins!?!
UBT - Halifax-lad

Dazza wrote:According to the poll, improving boinc wins!?!
:? we know :?
Darren

Post by Darren »

Just ignore me. I am not bright today. (didn't know what xtreme lab does, obviously)
UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Post by UBT - Timbo »

UBT - Timbo wrote:So, now WHEN should it start???

24th/25th June (The birthday weekend!!)

or

1st/2nd July

Any views on this?

Or shall I make an "executive decision"

regards,

Tim
UBT - JsF

Post by UBT - JsF »

Starting on the 24th is fine for me Tim.

Jimmy
UBT - BHCJackie

Post by UBT - BHCJackie »

As it appears the birthday meet is not happening we might as well do the crunch on the usual weekend so 24/25th
UBT - PiezPiedPy

Post by UBT - PiezPiedPy »

Sound with me :wink:
UBT - Halifax-lad

Whwnever you want it to be bearing in mind you wanted to send an email to all to inform them