Trojan

Having problems installing that new stick of memory? Found some great software or having issues with something? Or maybe want to chat about your PlayStation, X-Box, Nintendo, Sega, even your old Spectrum 48k....! Or maybe something you want to sell or acquire (computing related of course!). Let us know here...
paolari

Trojan

Post by paolari »

How do I get System Restore to work again after a major trojan?
I just did the Malwarebytes.org download and got rid of the huge trojan Vundo but I still don't have the system restore capability back. What else can I do?
melter65
Active UBT Contributor

Post by melter65 »

I smell processed sandwich meat! Username 'paolari' has no matches in BoincStats :scratch:
Ben

Post by Ben »

melter65 wrote:I smell processed sandwich meat! Username 'paolari' has no matches in BoincStats :scratch:

But members can sign up to the forum without joining BOINC. Or have a different username within BOINC.

To get system restore working again it depends on which operating system you are using. Is it XP, Vista etc?
UBT - Mikee
Marvin the Dalek

Post by UBT - Mikee »

I agree with Mr. Melter.

Why post the question in this thread? I'm sure if it's a real person they'd have quite easily found a more relevant section.
Follow us on Twitter... http://twitter.com/UKBOINCTeam

Image Image

Ben

Post by Ben »

Mm, good point. But i don't understand what the objective is?  :? No links to any website etc
melter65
Active UBT Contributor

Post by melter65 »

It was the specific mention of the 'dot org' after 'Malwarebytes' that raised my suspicions. You wouldn't normally say, for example, "After I used AVGfree.com", if you wanted to ask a question about AVG would you?

I'd guess they were trying to mention the website without posting a link?
NaRyan

Post by NaRyan »

It's probably part of the latest weird way, "malware" peeps are trying to discredit Malwarebytes...

Malwarebytes is one of the best free (you can buy it and that enables real time protection), anti-malware programs there is.

And as such they have become a target of spam posts, fake emails (telling you that they are shutting down) stuff like that.

It's just a weird way of trying to give the program a bad name.
Have seen loads of these types of posts by "new users" on a lot of forums.
UBT - Mikee
Marvin the Dalek

Post by UBT - Mikee »

I wasn't aware of this before. Thanks to Ian's recommendation I've just installed it!

Seems the first post has had the opposite desired effect!
Follow us on Twitter... http://twitter.com/UKBOINCTeam

Image Image

Ben

Post by Ben »

melter65 wrote:It was the specific mention of the 'dot org' after 'Malwarebytes' that raised my suspicions. You wouldn't normally say, for example, "After I used AVGfree.com", if you wanted to ask a question about AVG would you?

I'd guess they were trying to mention the website without posting a link?

Sneaky  :shock:
melter65
Active UBT Contributor

Post by melter65 »

UBT - Mikee wrote:I wasn't aware of this before. Thanks to Ian's recommendation I've just installed it!

Seems the first post has had the opposite desired effect!
Good point, Mikee! I'll take a look myself :D

EDIT: Realised as soon as I opened it that I've already got this on the quad!
        Timby recommended it on MSN a couple of weeks ago. Now got it on
        the lappy!