Desktop super-computer

Having problems installing that new stick of memory? Found some great software or having issues with something? Or maybe want to chat about your PlayStation, X-Box, Nintendo, Sega, even your old Spectrum 48k....! Or maybe something you want to sell or acquire (computing related of course!). Let us know here...
UBT - Rick Horn

Desktop super-computer

Post by UBT - Rick Horn »

Fancy your own desktop super-computer?

720 cores and it only costs 7 Grand or so.  :shock:

Makes your new quad a bit sick.

Look and weep!

http://www.armari.com/tesla.asp
fellie
UBT Contributor

Post by fellie »

Click on the pic, theres a 940 core one lol...

the 720 cores is good value at £10 a core  :D
UBT - bobuk
Active UBT Contributor 10+ yrs

Post by UBT - bobuk »

poo.....it does not come with 'vista' installed  :wink:

must save a few more pennies....

b. :D
NaRyan

Post by NaRyan »

Don't forget it's really an octo core system.

The 720 cores are on the GPU aka the Nvidia Tesla C1060 4GB.
Or in laymen's terms, the Business side of the GTX280.
Get a nice credit per day on GPUGRID with them ;)
UBT - bobuk wrote:poo.....it does not come with 'vista' installed  :wink:

I would class that as a benefit :P
Ben

Post by Ben »

NaRyan wrote:
UBT - bobuk wrote:poo.....it does not come with 'vista' installed  :wink:

I would class that as a benefit :P
No pleasing some people  :roll: Still.. Faster gfx drivers on Vista  :idea:
melter65
Active UBT Contributor

Post by melter65 »

All that money and you get a crappy Logitech cordles keyboard and mouse! :wink:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:
NaRyan

Post by NaRyan »

XP x64, Vista x64 or Linux, makes no difference to Telsa cards, as they are not graphics cards (no output connectors on them).

They are just pure CUDA co-processors (back to the 486 days with co-processors eh????, he he) nowt else.
It's why the system has a QuadroFX card (for the display), and 3 Telsa's (for the cuda)

Besides, if Vista drivers are faster, then why does my slower poota/8800GT on win xp x64, beat the faster poota/8800GT with Vista x64 in gpugrid........ :P
Ben

Post by Ben »

NaRyan wrote:XP x64, Vista x64 or Linux, makes no difference to Telsa cards, as they are not graphics cards (no output connectors on them).

They are just pure CUDA co-processors (back to the 486 days with co-processors eh????, he he) nowt else.
It's why the system has a QuadroFX card (for the display), and 3 Telsa's (for the cuda)

Besides, if Vista drivers are faster, then why does my slower poota/8800GT on win xp x64, beat the faster poota/8800GT with Vista x64 in gpugrid........ :P
Ehh  :shock: It was you who told me the Vista drivers where quicker, and i saw for myself when i compared XP x64 to Vista x64. However that was a few applications ago. Alot has changed since then including crunching times (13hour wu's for 2,400 credits) :(
Jeffers
Active UBT Contributor 15+ yrs

Post by Jeffers »

And there was me admiring my new I7 based PC. I was fascinated while crunching to see 8 threads running at once!

Gotta have a look at this CUDA stuff next....

And wow! Just noticed that I've nearly got 100k credits! Shouldn't take long to get there now with my new rig...
Ben

Post by Ben »

Nice one jeffers  :D Defiantly take a look at GPUGrid  :wink:

Probably best to go for something like the 9800GTX+ or higher
NaRyan

Post by NaRyan »

That was quite some time ago. (many many many many moons ago :P)
The Vista app was the fastest by about 15% compared to XP.
Now is seems to be xp beats vista (no idea about linux, just know it has lower cpu usage)

Also looking at CPU usage windows XP x64 uses about 2%, while Vista jumps all over the place between 5% to 15%.

And that's on 2 idle systems, Idle as in they are only used for Boinc, nowt else, as both pootas do not have a monitor attached.
Heck on the XP system only thing plugged into it is the power and lan cables :P
Depresion

Post by Depresion »

Jeffers wrote:And there was me admiring my new I7 based PC. I was fascinated while crunching to see 8 threads running at once!

And wow! Just noticed that I've nearly got 100k credits! Shouldn't take long to get there now with my new rig...
My new rig is still doing the stress test period befor I start fideling, 7 threads of rosseta + one GPUGrid. Only problem is it's not on the network properly so I need to swap a CAT5 across now and then to update.
Ben

Post by Ben »

Depresion wrote:
Jeffers wrote:And there was me admiring my new I7 based PC. I was fascinated while crunching to see 8 threads running at once!

My new rig is still doing the stress test period befor I start fideling, 7 threads of rosseta + one GPUGrid. Only problem is it's not on the network properly so I need to swap a CAT5 across now and then to update.
Ahh nice one, although i don't see you on the GPUGrid on Temujins stats?
Jeffers
Active UBT Contributor 15+ yrs

Post by Jeffers »

Ben wrote:
Depresion wrote:

That'll be cos I haven't tried it yet!

And made the 100K, yippee!
Depresion

Post by Depresion »

Ben wrote:
Depresion wrote:

On that, dose anyone know why it's showing as PS3Grid not GPUGrid in my Sig?
Temujin

Post by Temujin »

Depresion wrote:On that, dose anyone know why it's showing as PS3Grid not GPUGrid in my Sig?
The project was initially known as PS3Grid and at that time only ran on PS3s.
They then supported GPU crunching and became known as PS3Grid/GPUGrid.
Lately they have become known just as GPUGrid.

Certainly for my stats, a project is setup once and if it then renames itself it will wait till I get around to changing it.
I would think your stats sig is something similar
Ben

Post by Ben »

Jeffers wrote:That'll be cos I haven't tried it yet!

And made the 100K, yippee!

Sorry, i didn't mean you Jeffers, i meant Depresion. Lost in translation  :roll:
Temujin

Post by Temujin »

Ben wrote:Sorry, i didn't mean you Jeffers, i meant Depresion. Lost in translation  :roll:
Its maybe due to "The Great PS3Grid Team Hijack" saga when we were all booted from the original team.
Ben

Post by Ben »

Oh... That  :shock: