listen to the signal?

SETI@home and SETI BETA - project now closed, maybe for good :-(
Jevgenijs Dorofejevs

listen to the signal?

Post by Jevgenijs Dorofejevs »

Hello,

I am new here, and I became curious about the sound of the signal,  Is it possible to get audio recordings of the signal?
melter65
Active UBT Contributor

Post by melter65 »

Hi Jevgenijs, welcome to the forum! :D

I found this question/answer on a forum called 'Curious about Astronomy?'
Can I listen to the SETI@home radio signal?

I have Downloaded the SETI program at my home on 2 different computers, it's great. I was wondering and looking, if there is any SETI like program that lets you not only see the radio waves but hear it also ?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Not that I know of. And in fact, such a thing couldn't exist, because you can't actually "hear" radio waves. Radio waves are electromagnetic radiation (just like visible light, except with longer wavelengths). You can't hear them.

Despite the insistence of Hollywood, the media, and your everyday experience with your radio, there's nothing about radio waves that makes them equivalent to sound. What happens with your radio is that the radio station's transmitter is encoding information in the radio signal (modulating it in either frequency or amplitude) that gets decoded by your radio so that it knows what sounds to make. There's no reason to believe that the ET's would be doing the same thing. And, even if they were, we'd have no idea how to decode it to figure out what the sounds are supposed to be.

May 2003, Christopher Springob
UBT - Rick Horn

Post by UBT - Rick Horn »

Hi Jevgenijs, and welcome to the team.

Melter65 is right, signals from space cannot be "heard".
It would be possible to modulate these signals so that an artificial tone could be heard, but there are only three types of signals that Seti@Home is looking for; pulses, triplets, and gaussians.

If you were able to hear them, a pulse would be a single tone. A triplet would be three equally spaced tones, and a gaussian would be a 12 second tone starting quietly, building up in strength, and dying down again.

In reality, signals from space are best seen on an oscilloscope, which is basically what you see on the Seti@Home screen saver.

Rick.
UBT - mickyb69

Post by UBT - mickyb69 »

How about putting a wine glass on your screen (after drinking the full bottle) while running the seti screensaver ? :wink:  :shock:
UBT - bobuk
Active UBT Contributor 10+ yrs

Post by UBT - bobuk »

UBT - mickyb69 wrote:How about putting a wine glass on your screen (after drinking the full bottle) while running the seti screensaver ? :wink:  :shock:

have you forgot to take your tablets again?   :wink:

b. :D
Jevgenijs Dorofejevs

melter65 wrote:Hi Jevgenijs, welcome to the forum! :D

I found this question/answer on a forum called 'Curious about Astronomy?'
Can I listen to the SETI@home radio signal?

I have Downloaded the SETI program at my home on 2 different computers, it's great. I was wondering and looking, if there is any SETI like program that lets you not only see the radio waves but hear it also ?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Not that I know of. And in fact, such a thing couldn't exist, because you can't actually "hear" radio waves. Radio waves are electromagnetic radiation (just like visible light, except with longer wavelengths). You can't hear them.

Despite the insistence of Hollywood, the media, and your everyday experience with your radio, there's nothing about radio waves that makes them equivalent to sound. What happens with your radio is that the radio station's transmitter is encoding information in the radio signal (modulating it in either frequency or amplitude) that gets decoded by your radio so that it knows what sounds to make. There's no reason to believe that the ET's would be doing the same thing. And, even if they were, we'd have no idea how to decode it to figure out what the sounds are supposed to be.

May 2003, Christopher Springob

Thank you for a fast answer!

But the curve of a signal still has amplitude and frequency why is it impossible to kind of digitalise it?
Jevgenijs Dorofejevs

UBT - Rick Horn wrote:Hi Jevgenijs, and welcome to the team.

Melter65 is right, signals from space cannot be "heard".
It would be possible to modulate these signals so that an artificial tone could be heard, but there are only three types of signals that Seti@Home is looking for; pulses, triplets, and gaussians.

If you were able to hear them, a pulse would be a single tone. A triplet would be three equally spaced tones, and a gaussian would be a 12 second tone starting quietly, building up in strength, and dying down again.

In reality, signals from space are best seen on an oscilloscope, which is basically what you see on the Seti@Home screen saver.

Rick.

And if we put data about all changes of the amplitude and frequency into kind of audio software..(the same as analog-to-digital in audio)... and maybe transport it to normal range of hearing.. is it that what happen in this modulation?
UBT - Rick Horn

Yes, I think that sums it up.
UBT - mickyb69

Post by UBT - mickyb69 »

UBT - Rick Horn

UBT - mickyb69 wrote:Bit like a stylophone then
Ahh, I remember it well!
Jevgenijs Dorofejevs

melter65