A 48 Hour Challenge

This section is where you can post topics related to Challenges from other websites, such as Formula-BOINC, SETI-Germany and BOINCstats, as well as project challenges such as from WCG, PrimeGrid et al.

As a Team, we really want to engage as many team members with these challenges, as this gives us a great way of attracting more members to our Team...plus we get to show our strengths as a Team by (hopefully) doing well in each one.

PS: I have moved lots of topics into this section where they are relevant...as you can see, we've always been happy to take part in Challenges...and long may that continue ;-)
UBT - bobuk
Active UBT Contributor 10+ yrs

A 48 Hour Challenge

Post by UBT - bobuk »

A 48 hour Challenge is being offered on PrimeGrid’s Proth Prime Search LLR application.

To participate in the Challenge, please select only the Proth Prime Search project in your PrimeGrid preferences section.
The challenge will begin 14 November 2008 18:00 UTC and end 16 November 2008 18:00 UTC.

Application builds are available for Linux 32 bit and Windows 32 bit.
These applications will be sent to 64 bit clients. (Sent auto nothing to d/l)
As with all LLR application projects, there is no advantage of 64 bit over 32 bit.

ATTENTION: The primality program LLR is CPU intensive; so, it is vital to have a stable system with good cooling.
It does not tolerate "even the slightest of errors." WU’s will take ~2 minutes on fast/newer computers and 4+ minutes on slower/older computers.
If your computer is highly overclocked, please consider "stress testing" it.

Please, please, please make sure your machines are up to the task.

Scoring Information:
Scores will be kept for individuals and teams.
Only work units issued AFTER 14 November 2008 18:00 UTC and received BEFORE 16 November 2008 18:00 UTC will be considered for credit.

We are moving up the PG Challenge table at a steady pace. At the present time the team is in position number 11.
So come on join in Smile  Nice fast Wu's for those that like 'em...

b. :D
NaRyan

Post by NaRyan »

Just a note for anyone that is doing the Proth Sieve.
Make sure all Proth Sieve work is done before starting the Proth LLR work.

They don't seem to like each other :?
UBT - The Prof....

Post by UBT - The Prof.... »

Have cleaned out entire cache apart from the Climate Prediction wu that I am currently running. Soon as I can load up that will be suspended and will be 100% Proth LLR for the duration.  :wink:
UBT - Rick Horn

Post by UBT - Rick Horn »

OK Bob, I`ll give it a go. Preferences set and ready to go.
UBT-mark3346
Active UBT Contributor 15+ yrs

Post by UBT-mark3346 »

I was setting up ready for this and downloaded a wu to see how long it would take...all day was the answer not 2 to 4 mins :!:

Then I realised what was wrong....Remember if you have set up separate Default/Home etc preferences for primegrid you need to change them all to Proth LLR  :oops:
UBT - bobuk

Post by UBT - bobuk »

Quote from PG:

The Prime Time Challenge nears!

Less than 24 hours remain until the Prime Time Challenge (14-16 November 2008). The initiation process is already warming up as users are attaching to the Proth Prime Search (LLR) in advance of the start. We are approaching the "reportable" level in Chris Caldwell's The Largest Known Primes Database! Come help us reach it and find a prime for yourself.

This Challenge is being offered on PrimeGrid’s Proth Prime Search (LLR) application only.

To participate in the Challenge, please select only the Proth Prime Search (LLR) project in your PrimeGrid preferences section. The challenge will begin 14 November 2008 18:00 UTC and end 16 November 2008 18:00 UTC. Application builds are available for Linux 32 bit and Windows 32 bit. These applications will be sent to 64 bit clients. As with all LLR application projects, there is no advantage of 64 bit over 32 bit.

WU's should take ~2-4 minutes on a fast machine and upwards of ~6-10 minutes on slower machines.

A quorum of 2 is NOT needed to award Challenge score - i.e. no wingman. Therefore, each returned result will earn a Challenge score. Please note that if the result is eventually declared invalid, the score will be removed. Please see first post in this thread for more scoring information.

ATTENTION !!! A friendly reminder to everyone to check their machines to make sure they are stable enough for LLRing. No sense in losing precious CPU time on machines that are not up to par.

The primality program LLR is CPU intensive; so, it is vital to have a stable system with good cooling. It does not tolerate "even the slightest of errors." Please see this post for more details on how you can "stress test" your computer. If your computer is highly overclocked, please consider "stress testing" it. Sieving is an excellent alternative for computers that are not able to LLR. :)

Challenge Points and BOINC credit (cobblestones) will NOT be granted to invalid results.

Let's get to the "reportable" level and Good Luck in finding a prime!  :)

UBT - bobuk

Post by UBT - bobuk »

UP DATE:

The start draws near

Again we are in unchartered waters. The server is doing fine, but we have never experienced such a high volume of traffic. It will be interesting to see how the server handles it.

Here's some additional information:

* The web pages may take a very long time to load or even time out. This just means that more resources are being devoted to sending out work. We appreciate your patience.
   * On the sever status page, almost all non essential stats will be turned off. The Proth Prime Search (LLR) will remain up and be cached every 15 minutes.
   * The server has been configured to "spread the wealth". Meaning...if you have your client set up for a large cache, it will not be filled completely in one request...or even 2 or 3 requests...but eventually it will be filled.
   * How can you help create a better start? Lower your cache before the Challenge begins i.e. 1-2 hours worth. Once you see that your cache is full, then you can start upping it slowly to your desired level. This will allow the maximum clients to receive at least some WU's and start crunching. While the clients are crunching, the server can catch up with sending out work.
   * Challenge stats can be found on the front page...top right. Top Participants | Top Teams

Best of Luck!

Woodles
UBT Contributor

Post by Woodles »

All set up and waiting :)

I assume I'm right in thinking that 18:00 UTC is 6PM GMT?
UBT - bobuk

Post by UBT - bobuk »

Woodles wrote:All set up and waiting :)

well that's my thinking as well

if in doubt there is a countdown clock running on PG home page..

UBT - The Prof....

Post by UBT - The Prof.... »

Ready and - Ahem! - Primed. :lol:
Count down clock on home page does indeed seem to be running GMT.
On your marks...
UBT - Rick Horn

Post by UBT - Rick Horn »

Woodles wrote:
I can confirm that 18:00 UTC is 6 pm. GMT.
Woodles
UBT Contributor

Post by Woodles »

6 PM it is then :D
melter65
Active UBT Contributor

Post by melter65 »

Ready, Steady..........sit down and wait awhile for your wu's to arrive! :lol:

It would seem that the servers are over run with requests for work!
UBT - bobuk

Post by UBT - bobuk »

ime in the corner hiding  :roll:

UBT - bobuk

Post by UBT - bobuk »

message from pg:

its a wu generation problem.....

the server is fine.....

if not resolved at 2100 challenge maybe scraped

more to follow

UBT - bobuk

Post by UBT - bobuk »

from PG message board:

John: Sorry, no PPS Sieve Challenge...as much as I'd like to.  No 32 bit apps.
Challenge has been scrapped.   We deeply apologize for this.

==============================

b. :(
melter65
Active UBT Contributor

Post by melter65 »

Ah well, back to the Milkyway! :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

I'm trying to break 1000 RAC, which for a single core cruncher will be awesome! 8)
UBT - bobuk

Post by UBT - bobuk »

melter65 wrote:Ah well, back to the Milkyway! :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

I'm trying to break 1000 RAC, which for a single core cruncher will be awesome! 8)

for you it will be a miricle  :wink:  :wink:

UBT - mickyb69

Post by UBT - mickyb69 »

not to beat  around the bush ...............prime grids crap ....
:lol: good luck to ya  :shock:
If im lucky i might get some bonus abc's in the next few weeks on my 3 gig d
Ben

Post by Ben »

melter65 wrote:Ah well, back to the Milkyway! :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

No hope melts... Even i have only just scraped past 1000  :lol: