boinc.mundayweb.com - back again

A section to chat about whatever takes your fancy about the team in general. For queries about the UBT Forum, please post a message here. Likewise, any suggestions for making the forum better...
Neil

boinc.mundayweb.com - back again

Post by Neil »

Hi all,

Despite move to a new server to handle the load on the site, my web host has informed me tonight that boinc.mundayweb.com cannot continue for the time being due to the load put on their web server.

Therefore, at the moment, I have suspended graphics generation and stats updates until the time that a new home is found. If anyone knows of cheap dedicated web server space or would kindly like to donate some space, please let me know.

Apologies to all, but I have tried my best to keep the site going til now.

Best regards,

Neil.
Last edited by Neil on Thu Jun 08, 2006 2:05 am, edited 3 times in total.
UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Re: boinc.mundayweb.com - out of resources

Post by UBT - Timbo »

Neil wrote:Hi all,

Despite move to a new server to handle the load on the site, my web host has informed me tonight that boinc.mundayweb.com cannot continue for the time being due to the load put on their web server.

Therefore, at the moment, I have suspended graphics generation and stats updates until the time that a new home is found. If anyone knows of cheap dedicated web server space or would kindly like to donate some space, please let me know.

Apologies to all, but I have tried my best to keep the site going til now.

Best regards,

Neil.

This is a real "shock" to me and I'm hopeful that I can help at least to get  Neil "up and running" soon-ish by providing some web serving for him  (which I have access to).

Anyone using the mundayweb.com stats will find they've "vanished" so it might be an idea to delete them from your sigs for now, until Neil can get something sorted.

regards,

Tim
UBT - BHCJackie

Post by UBT - BHCJackie »

Neil - So sorry that your web host is playing silly beggars with you.
{{{{{{{{{{HUGS}}}}}}}}}}
UBT - PiezPiedPy

Post by UBT - PiezPiedPy »

Is Right Timbo Lad -  :D
Neil

Post by Neil »

Hi all,

Thanks for your posts.

I'm currently working my way through e-mails and message posts of web hosting offers.

Watch this space!

Neil.
UBT - Halifax-lad

Post by UBT - Halifax-lad »

It seems Neil is due to bring the website back on-line very soon
The new server has been built and software installed.

I will be uploading a copy of my site sometime tomorrow to test things out.

All being well, I'll update the name servers and the site will be back. A new version of the site will be uploaded too. Although it will look the same, the way you reference your stats graphics will change. I will put in workarounds to make the old URLs work of course.

With the new version, all stats graphics will be generated by a daily cron job and therefore not dynamically (as is done at present). This is designed to reduce server load. It also means your URLs will be simpler.

E.g. http://boinc.mundayweb.com/img/u1.png

More details will follow once the site is back.

Thanks for beansprout for all his efforts,

Neil.
Neil

Post by Neil »

She's back!

The DNS entry for the MundayWeb domain was updated at noon today. It's slowly propagating around the web.

I'd like to thank http://www.vidahost.com for providing a new home for the site. :-)

Stats updates should take place tonight.

Neil.
UBT - Halifax-lad

Glad you got it back & sorted Neil

:wav:
Neil

Post by Neil »

And she's dead again as of 16:00 today.

Two of the drives in the RAID array of the new server bombed and as a result, the RAID array is still building.

It looks like the server will not be back until tomorrow. This also means that I can't access my e-mail either - I will answer any e-mails as soon as I can.

Apologies again on behalf of my web host - hopefully, it's just a one off!

Neil.
Temujin

Post by Temujin »

Neil wrote:Two of the drives in the RAID array of the new server bombed and as a result, the RAID array is still building.
no hot spares then?
bummer!!
Neil

Post by Neil »

Another update...

The RAID array has been rebuilt and fsck is now being run. I have been told that the server will be back on t'Internet by midnight.

At the moment, MundayWeb.com is pointing to a temporary location. As a result, once the server is back-up, it will take a few hours for the DNS changes to make their way around the world.

Apologies once again,

Neil.
UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Post by UBT - Timbo »

Neil wrote:Another update...

The RAID array has been rebuilt and fsck is now being run. I have been told that the server will be back on t'Internet by midnight.

At the moment, MundayWeb.com is pointing to a temporary location. As a result, once the server is back-up, it will take a few hours for the DNS changes to make their way around the world.

Apologies once again,

Neil.

Cor - it never rains when it pours (who ever thought of that expression !!).

Good luck with the "re-build".

And hope you're back online and firing on all cylinders soon !!

regards,

Tim
Neil

Post by Neil »

Update from web host:

==================================

Update by Dominic (director of Thermal Degree, the hosting company): The array was rebuilt and is now running a consistency check. The RAID controller has been replaced as well as one drive from the RAID10 array. Normally we would let the server rebuild its array in the background however this was a brand new server so we're investigating fully before we begin to load it with more clients. Additionally, there is some corruption present but this should be resolved with the consistency check and a final fsck.

All I can do is apologise because this is definitely not our normal service and we have never experienced downtime like this before. We're doing the best we can and have pointed Mundayweb to this temporary location for now, as we do with all websites if their server experiences any problems (which for what it's worth has happened just once in our time!)

==================================

ETA is now tomorrow (6th) morning (BST).

Neil.
UBT - Halifax-lad

Neil has broken the whole hosting company  :lol:  :lol:

Am Missing my widget its blank looking forward to it showing something
Neil

Post by Neil »

Hi all,

The site is now back and should be working for you. The DNS has been updated, so it may be 24 hours before some of you can access the site.

Most of the site was restored from back-ups, but all the MySQL databases were f****d. I have managed to restore them using the previous back-ups from my old hosting company and by running the stats updates scripts.

Unfortunately, any users that registered after 9am on May 29th will have to register again.

For a full low-down of tonight's activities, see http://setiathome.berkeley.edu/forum_th ... p?id=31542.

I'm off to bed! Zzzzzzzzzzzz

Neil.
UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Post by UBT - Timbo »

Neil wrote:Hi all,

The site is now back and should be working for you. The DNS has been updated, so it may be 24 hours before some of you can access the site.

Most of the site was restored from back-ups, but all the MySQL databases were f****d. I have managed to restore them using the previous back-ups from my old hosting company and by running the stats updates scripts.

Unfortunately, any users that registered after 9am on May 29th will have to register again.

For a full low-down of tonight's activities, see http://setiathome.berkeley.edu/forum_th ... p?id=31542.

I'm off to bed! Zzzzzzzzzzzz

Neil.

Well done Neil.

Think you deserve a week off !!

Hopefully though, that's the end of your troubles for a while. With a bit of luck, it'll be someone elses "turn" next.

regards,

Tim
Neil

Post by Neil »

Cheers ;-)

I've just had to repair part of the All-In-One account database as I'd used the wrong back-up to restore one of its tables last night.

Oops.

All should be fine now.

Neil.