Forcing Boinc to crunch a particular WU

Anything "BOINC" specific can be commented on here...such as Project news and announcements etc. Also: any problems with BOINC or maybe you have found something interesting, tell us about it. Chat about the various 3rd party client applications used for some of the projects such as optimised clients.
Woodles
UBT Contributor

Forcing Boinc to crunch a particular WU

Post by Woodles »

Don't know if this is the right place to ask this but here goes anyway.

I have a dual core system and Im currently crunching a few projects. One of them (PrimeGrid) has a WU that needs another fifteen hours of crunching before it's finished. Not a problem as it's not needed to be finished before tomorrow afternoon.

However, if I leave Boinc to manage everything itself, it insists on crunching two Poem WU's instead. Granted, they also have to be finished by tomorrow but they only take a couple of hours each and will be finished easily by just one core crunching them. If both cores crunch them, it won't leave enough time for the PrimeGrid WU to be crunched after they've finished.

Is there any way that I can have one core continue to crunch PrimeGrid while the other crunches the Poem WU's? At the moment, I have to manually suspend the remaining Poem WU's to force the PrimeGrid one to be crunched and that's going to be impossible to continue to do for the next fifteen hours, I need my sleep!
UBT - Rick Horn

Post by UBT - Rick Horn »

Make sure you are using the same resource share for each project, e.g. 100% Poem and 100% Primegrid. That should give you 1 project on each core. If not, you may have to tinker around a bit. If one of your projects is still being favoured, reduce it`s resource share a little.
Woodles
UBT Contributor

Post by Woodles »

Thanks for the suggestion Rick but it made it worse!

I had Poem set to 50% and PrimeGrid set to 40%, all other projects suspended. change Poem to 40% and now I have to suspend every Poem WU but one to stop it crunching two. (Before I could leave an additional seven Poem WU's 'waiting to run' and still have PrimeGrid crunching)

I've also got Poem computing preferences set to use only one core (version 5.10 and earlier) and to use 50% of the processors (version 6.1+) and neither setting has any affect.

Ah well, guess I'll be staying up until the small hours waiting to reset everything back to normal.
UBT - Mikee
Marvin the Dalek

Post by UBT - Mikee »

Don't do anything!

BOINC Manager will work out what needs to be done. When it sees a deadline coming up and works out that there's gonna be trouble, it goes into 'panic mode' and will commit resources to the WUs that need it. If you wait long enough you will see that you'll get 'Running, high priority' in the 'status' tab.

In any event WUs over deadline don't usually cause a problem unless they've been reissued and the other guy has returned the result before you. In the case of the 1,2,3 Primegrids you'll still have at least 6 extra hours to return the result.
Follow us on Twitter... http://twitter.com/UKBOINCTeam

Image Image

Woodles
UBT Contributor

Post by Woodles »

Thanks for that Mikee, wish I'd checked earlier, I eneded up staying up until gone four to reset everything!

Oh well, I'll know better next time ... probably! :D