Hi There

An area for greetings to (or from) NEW members of the Team and/or the Forum. Say "HELLO" here - no one will bite !!
Grinning Grunny

Hi There

Post by Grinning Grunny »

Hi Everyone,
I thought I would  join a home team rather than slave away on my own, somewhere it said you wouldn't bite so I've stuck my head above the fence.

A couple of queries,
1.  I have ended up with 2 CPDN projects running on my new computer! Did I see something about dual core processors running more than 1 project?

2. Is there any way of transferring a current project on my old PC to a another machine, PC or Mac?

Chris       :)
Temujin

Post by Temujin »

Hi Chris, welcome to UBT  :wave:

You're right, we don't bite, well, most of us don't  :D

I can't answer your questions but I'm sure someone that can will be along shortly.

Enjoy your stay
Sir Cracked of the Mind
KWSN team member

Post by Sir Cracked of the Mind »

Welcome to the team, CPDN is not one of my project, so can't help you there, anyway enjoy your stay, I'm sure one of the guys will be along to help
melter65
Active UBT Contributor

Post by melter65 »

Hello and Welcome! :D

I'm the third one who can't help you! Sorry! I'm sure there'll be someone who knows the tech side of your query! :oops:
UBT - mickyb69

Post by UBT - mickyb69 »

Helloooooo there Chris .  I never bite but do talk rubish most of the time

A dual core has 2 cpus so yes you can run 2 diff projects at the same time.
Just think of it as two PC's in one box. You can even join a few projects eg. Depspid that hardly use the CPU. At the moment i have Enigma,Nqueens and 5 Depspids all running together on a dual core .
You can join as many projects you want and Boinc will look after everything
:lol:
Q2 ...errrr you can swap some WU's over from old computers .Have a look at
the projects forum . But i doubt you would be able to move any of the long term project WU's from mac to pc if you have already started them .

One thing i have noticed ...If you put your old HD into a new computer most of the time Boinc will grab them and finish them off ..even if you have cleaned the drive .

Hope this helps and i expect you will get allot more posts on this soon . :oops:
UBT - Rick Horn

Post by UBT - Rick Horn »

CPIDs sometimes merge after a few days. Mine didn`t, I`ve got four at the moment, but if it`s a problem, Temujin can force it on your stats, he did it for me.
You can use any number of computers on one project. Just make sure you use the same user name and password on each PC.

Rick.
Ben

Post by Ben »

Hi Chris,

Welcome aboard, and i lost all my teeth this morning so your fine for now  :lol: Enjoy your stay!
Joshrandom

Post by Joshrandom »

Hello Chris, welcome to UBT... :wave:
UBT - Halifax-lad

Post by UBT - Halifax-lad »

Welcome
Timby

Post by Timby »

Image Chris, as said above, great bunch lurk on this forum, you might like to pop in on the chat room at the weekend for a natter?
Any way hope you enjoy your time with us

Mark
sigma-7

Post by sigma-7 »

Greetz and welcome to the team :wav:
UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Re: Hi There

Post by UBT - Timbo »

Grinning Grunny wrote:Hi Everyone,
I thought I would  join a home team rather than slave away on my own, somewhere it said you wouldn't bite so I've stuck my head above the fence.

A couple of queries,
1.  I have ended up with 2 CPDN projects running on my new computer! Did I see something about dual core processors running more than 1 project?

2. Is there any way of transferring a current project on my old PC to a another machine, PC or Mac?

Chris       :)
Hi Chris,

Welcome on board.
You can run as many project Work Units (at one time) as you have CPU's. So at any one time, a dual core PC can crunch one Work Unit on two different projects or two work units on one project.

Obviously, you need the following:

1) An OS that supports dual (or multi) core CPU's - Windows NT, 2000 XP or Vista is OK.
2) A BIOS that is set to use both CPU's - eg a recent P4 must have HyperThreading enabled in the BIOS)
3) You need to ensure that your "Preferences" for EACH project is configured to support multi-CPU - Go to the website for each project you have signed up fo and check the following section - go to "Your  account > General Preferences" and check that:

On multiprocessors, use at most: 2 processors

is set.

(For Quad cores, set this to 4).

For CPDN, I would suggest that you leave it at 1, coz the CPDN WUs tend to be very long and very CPU intensive....if you already have 2 then set it to 2, so that they can be completed quickly...and set the project to No New Work until they have finished (else you'll get two more).

Once you've completed both CPDN WUs, set the Preference to 1 (on CPDN) and then you can use the PC for 1x CPDN WU and maybe one other project.

Hope this helps.

regards

Tim
Grinning Grunny

Post by Grinning Grunny »

Thanks Tim and everyone else for the warm welcome,

So I have changed the preferences, which must have been set by the single cpu pc, that is now up to 2 cpu's and we will see how it goes, hopefully will speed things up more. Interestingly the new imac (2.8ghz intel duo) has already done average 14.25% of 2 projects in 1 month compared to 35% of 1 on the PC (1.6ghz Athlon) in about 6 months, I can see my RAC rising daily, all this with the mac set to a 10min sleep timer and the PC going through most days, great stuff. Shame the PC will have to go soon because there's still about 550 hours to go on that project, haven't had the chance to look at transferring yet, been looking for a memory intensive project to no avail yet, I'm reluctant to try depsid because we are miles from our exchange and do not good speeds from our broadband.

Chris     :D