Stopping smoking.

A section to chat about whatever takes your fancy about the team in general. For queries about the UBT Forum, please post a message here. Likewise, any suggestions for making the forum better...
NaRyan

Stopping smoking.

Post by NaRyan »

Since I'm going to try ma best (again) at giving up (again).
I'll be stopping thursday.
Getting the yummy gum tomorrow afternoon, stopping Thursday, going insane Friday :P

I kind of realized I made a big snafu on my original calculations on how much I spend on ciggies.
I worked it out on per pack (20 a day)
Well err I'm more 40 per day (had too much stress up untill monday, but thats all gone :))
Plus I do like my Hamlet cigars too  :?

I origionaly worked it out at:
£4.29 a day
£30.03 a week
£120.12 a month (for a 4 week month)
£150.15 a month (for a 5 week month)
£1561.56 a year (yipes!)
but that should be.

£9.39 a day
£65.73 a week
£262.92 a month (4 week month)
£328.65 a month (5 week month)
£3417.96 a year (SQUEEK!!!)

Soo yer can kind of see how long (or short) it will take to upgrade to Quad core.....

Mind you the last time I gave up smoking I did enjoy the difference in the taste of food :)
But geez the increase in the sence of smell was not nice at times, lol
Kind of umm noticed just how smelly this building is (meh to stinky neighbours!)
UBT-mark3346
Active UBT Contributor 15+ yrs

Post by UBT-mark3346 »

OMG...Good luck with stopping.......Taking Tax and NI into account stopping will be like getting a £5,000/year pay rise
UBT - mickyb69

Post by UBT - mickyb69 »

Yeh good luck ,Don't get that gum from poundland, made my mouth numb and tasted like poooo :lol:
NaRyan

Post by NaRyan »

UBT - mickyb69 wrote:Yeh good luck ,Don't get that gum from poundland, made my mouth numb and tasted like poooo :lol:
lol the stuff you get on the NHS tastes like poo also :P
Plus I bit my cheek that much while chewing it, I ended up with one heck of a sore mouth :(

Patches were no use, woke up one morning and found it stuck to my cat's bum.
The inhilator looks like your trying to smoke a tampax and the nasal spray burns like heck :(

So expect a looney Naryan for the next while ;)
Well more looney than usual.

Already worked out a price for the Intel quad core toys (£489.57)
But that don't include a heatsink yet, no idea what a good quad core heatsink is.
As I know nowt about Intel, been an AMD peep for many years :P
NaRyan

Post by NaRyan »

You know your off too a good start when it's only been two hours.....
And you already want to kill people......
grrrr
Andrew

Post by Andrew »

Ah look   :)   ~ if you can do it (cease smoking) great.

Perhaps another time for my tale. I wish you well.
melter65
Active UBT Contributor

Post by melter65 »

I'll also add my Good Luck to you, NaRyan

As a smoker of 26yrs, who doesn't particularly want to give up, I can still appreciate the hard work and will power it takes to stop smoking! :D
NaRyan

Post by NaRyan »

Now can you get gum that helps with PC related stress?
*Kicks snot out of windows....
UBT - mickyb69

Post by UBT - mickyb69 »

NaRyan wrote:Thanks :)
Now can you get gum that helps with PC related stress?
*Kicks snot out of windows....
Yeh its called sledgehammer , You can buy them in packs of 10 with free goggles  :lol:
Good luck keep it up  :shock:
NaRyan

Post by NaRyan »

Well I have a toy hammer that makes a squeaky noise when you hit stuff.
I use it often on my computers  :lol:

*edit
Mind you on the no smoking bit, at least when I smoked I never had a cough :S , This 4mg Nicorette gum makes me cough like heck :(
NaRyan

Post by NaRyan »

Well I can say the 2 weeks I have not smoked now I has worked out well :)

Got myself a new Mobile phone on Tuesday, It's a Nokia 5310 XpressMusic, was also also needing a new mp3 player so one of them made sence.

And hopefully by next Thursday (07/02/2008) I'll have my Quad core system too, not all due to stopping smoking, I'm classed as disabled and unfit for work, but for the last 6 months I have been in a fight with the DWP, I won (oh in about 5 minutes and 8 words when my appeal finaly happened!!), and also thanks to the one called Mum.

So all in all, cravings are basicaly gone now, I use about 4 pices of gum per day, no longer do I have the "wake up & crave for a ciggie".
My sence of smell is back, so is my appitite (constantly hungry!), and food tastes soooo yummy again (apart from thoes £2.20 chicken sandwitches you get from the co-op, they still taste like cardboard!)

So apart from the odd ikkle temtation when I'm at the local shop, and the pack of ciggies are staring you right in your face, I'm nearly there.
Mind you the smell of other people smoking at the moment makes me feel sick as heck, so don't think I wanna start again! (not that I want too now)

*NaRyan treats himself to a pack of HobNobs ;)
UBT-mark3346

Post by UBT-mark3346 »

Well done and keep it up, treat yourself to another a pack of HobNobs in a couple of weeks  :D
NaRyan

Post by NaRyan »

Yeah and become a "HobNob addict" :lol:
UBT-mark3346

Post by UBT-mark3346 »

NaRyan wrote:Yeah and become a "HobNob addict" :lol:

Don't worry about that, I can do you a really good deal on some "genuine"  imported ones. :D
UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Post by UBT - Timbo »

NaRyan wrote:Well I can say the 2 weeks I have not smoked now I has worked out well :).......
Hi

WELL DONE !!

Just keep it up and you'll be OK from here on in.

Only thing to watch out for is the "battle of the bulge" if you indulge in too many HobNob treats.

regards

Tim
NaRyan

Post by NaRyan »

Well might help me put some weight on :P
2 Stone underweight acording to my Quack :?

But geez low fat diet and weight gain is a bit of an Oxymoron....
UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Post by UBT - Timbo »

NaRyan wrote:Well might help me put some weight on :P
2 Stone underweight acording to my Quack :?

But geez low fat diet and weight gain is a bit of an Oxymoron....
Hi,

Whoever said that you should gain weight by eating extra fat...?

A little extra carbohydrate and some extra protein and some extra veg and fruit will do the trick.

Another route that works quite well is Guinness.

In the end, keep within the "moderate" range and you'll put on some weight....but make sure you also exercise to keep your body healthy, coz if you're gonna put on weight, you need the strength & stamina to be able to carry yourself around.

regards

Tim
UBT - mickyb69

Post by UBT - mickyb69 »

Congrats on being smoke free m8.
Keep it up Image
And great news to hear you sorted out DWP .Image
Grinning Grunny

Post by Grinning Grunny »

Well done NaRyan, there should be a medal for that success, but please tell me how you did it? :twisted:  :x  :P  :evil:
NaRyan

Post by NaRyan »

"A little extra carbohydrate and some extra protein and some extra veg and fruit will do the trick."

A little extra carbohydrate is kind of out when your Diabetic, and if I eat any more fruit and veg I'm going to end up looking like one :lol:

"Another route that works quite well is Guinness."
Love guniness, but I can't take Alcohol, it don't play nice with Eplilepsy medication (just ask the poor lonley unopened bottle of Jack Daniels I have had in the fridge for the last 6 years!)

And as for exersice, I wish I had the strength to do "normal" everyday stuff 1st, and a body that was not falling apart. Got a £500 bike locked up in the cupboard outside my flat as I can't use that anymore (not for the last 2 or so years *cry*Ian misses his bike*cry*)

Ah well suppose things could be worse, I can still confuse the heck out of "brainy" peeps when I want too ;)
And as long as I have my sence of humour (and geez is it a Sarcastic dirty one :P), and good old PVsNP to keep me puzzled I'm happy :)
Guess that's why I like TSP so much, As it's a good example of a PVsNP problem :)

*edit
"Well done NaRyan, there should be a medal for that success, but please tell me how you did it?"

Two things realy, all the male's in my family have now either died or have been diagnosed with heart problems in their 50's (and at 31 it kind of got me thinking)
And I worked out that I'm spending about £4600 a year on ciggies!!!
So stopping would go well with keeping Mr Comuter(s) upto date, since it's my hobby & most times the only was I have to keep up with the "outside" world.

But to give up you can try all the NRT stuff, but it's not going to work unless you realy, realy, realy want to stop, it's 1% NRT 99% willpower