SKY broadband

Having problems installing that new stick of memory? Found some great software or having issues with something? Or maybe want to chat about your PlayStation, X-Box, Nintendo, Sega, even your old Spectrum 48k....! Or maybe something you want to sell or acquire (computing related of course!). Let us know here...
UBT-mark3346
Active UBT Contributor 15+ yrs

SKY broadband

Post by UBT-mark3346 »

SKY broadband, anyone got it? good/bad somewhere inbetween?

I have Virgin (not cable) and have never had any problems but Sky chuck it in for free with the TV I already have so I am thinking of switching if the service is ok.
Sir Cracked of the Mind
KWSN team member

Post by Sir Cracked of the Mind »

I to was waiting to hear how good it is.
sigma-7

Post by sigma-7 »

For me it was rubbish and teminated my contract after six months.

The line speed (adsl2) was worse than a 56k modem at times.

I since signed up for virgin media 20meg service and have never looked back :D

Take a look at this page to help you make up your mind

http://bbs.adslguide.org.uk/postlist.php?Cat=&Board=sky
UBT-mark3346

Post by UBT-mark3346 »

Thanks for the link, very wide differences of opinion on there.

The only attraction for me is Sky is free, Virgin costs me £15/month. If I decide to switch I will wait till after christmas anyway, don't want to risk the holidays without a connection.
Zeffer

Sky BB

Post by Zeffer »

I have sky BB i tranferd from Plus.Net i was paying £30 a month for upto 8mb 40Gb bandwith i was getting 3.5Mbps Down 0.4 Mbps up

now with sky im paying £10 a month and getting 4.9 Mbps Down 0.6 Mbps Up unlimatied bandwith i know im on a fairusage but i am downloading arond 50gb to 100gb a month and no probs But i had some down time well 2 time in 3 month but not for long and thats not bad for a tener a month
Depresion

Post by Depresion »

I pay less  than £30 a month to plus.net and have topped 200gig in a month with things like Linux distros and online film rental.
Zeffer

Post by Zeffer »

yep u can get over 40gb but i need to use it from 00:00 to 08:00 that free usage time but if u use it from 08:00 to 00:00 that uses up your paid for usage so on my account it was 40gb don't get me rong that are a great ISP but not the cheepes and u get a grate service to like a static IP for one but i needed the cash so i went for sky
Purplepixii

Post by Purplepixii »

I have a friend in Yorkshire who uses Sky and she has horrendous problems - it drops the connection so often and sometimes she doesn't get back online for hours.

Not tried it myself - got BT and have no issues with it so not changing  :)
UBT-mark3346

Post by UBT-mark3346 »

Virgin
Sky

So far (touch wood) no problems with Sky but I did not have any with Virgin.net either except the price, £15 compared to free.
The most up & downloading I do is with Boinc so I am not what you call a heavy user.
Setting the Sky modem up was the simplest bit of PC kit I have ever used, it needed to be idiot proof and was.
melter65
Active UBT Contributor

Post by melter65 »

Don't forget that you need a BT phoneline for the Sky Broadband. So if, like me, you had your BT line removed when you took up with Telewest/Virgin, you'll need to factor in the reconnection fee into the price.

Also, don't confuse Sky Broadband with satellite broadband, which was getting a lot of interest at one time, but I haven't heard of for a while! :D
UBT-mark3346

Post by UBT-mark3346 »

melter65 wrote:Don't forget that you need a BT phoneline for the Sky Broadband. So if, like me, you had your BT line removed when you took up with Telewest/Virgin, you'll need to factor in the reconnection fee into the price.

Also, don't confuse Sky Broadband with satellite broadband, which was getting a lot of interest at one time, but I haven't heard of for a while! :D
I had Virgin.net, not cable broadband so it's the same BT line with both  and they both include free evening and weekend calls.