Ars Technica have achieved team mergers

A section to chat about whatever takes your fancy about the team in general. For queries about the UBT Forum, please post a message here. Likewise, any suggestions for making the forum better...
Robert Boon

Ars Technica have achieved team mergers

Post by Robert Boon »

I don't know have they have achieved it but Ars Technica have managed to combine at least two teams together and as a result their credit has jumped by ovr 31 million to 57 million. As a result they have moved 18 places up the world rankings to 11th place.

http://www.arsfoodcourt.com/

http://www.arsfoodcourt.com/index.php?n ... le&sid=621
UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Re: Ars Technica have achieved team mergers

Post by UBT - Timbo »

Robert Boon wrote:I don't know have they have achieved it but Ars Technica have managed to combine at least two teams together and as a result their credit has jumped by ovr 31 million to 57 million. As a result they have moved 18 places up the world rankings to 11th place.

http://www.arsfoodcourt.com/

http://www.arsfoodcourt.com/index.php?n ... le&sid=621
I can only guess, looking at their stats that they have had some "official" behind the scenes merging - as their stats don't add up if all of one teams members crunching only for CPDN all moved on one day to the "other" team (and besides they only have 14 million CPDN credits to mvoe across).

So, I think something else has happened and given their long standing commitment to SETI/BOINC, it wouldn't surprise me if the BOINC admins allowed this....!

But also very likely that the BOINC admins won't be allowing this on a regular basis...!

Any other news about this might be helpful so we can see about UK merging teams (if agreements are reached with other UK teams somewhere/somehow...)

regards,

Tim
UBT - Halifax-lad

Post by UBT - Halifax-lad »

Maybe I am been simple but why doesn't some one ask how they have manged to achieve pulling credits from 2 teams into just 1 :?:

I nominate the Master :!:

At least there is some more competition in the place now
UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Post by UBT - Timbo »

UBT - Halifax--lad wrote:Maybe I am been simple but why doesn't some one ask how they have manged to achieve pulling credits from 2 teams into just 1 :?:

I nominate the Master :!:

At least there is some more competition in the place now
Hi David,

Yes, the question COULD be asked - now we know it can be done - but it will only be relevant to UBT, if there comes a time when another team wishes to merge fully with us. Until then, although useful to know, it won't actually "help" us...!

regards,

Tim
Darren

Post by Darren »

Of course it would help.
We could assure potentional mergees that their credits would not be lost.
UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Post by UBT - Timbo »

Darren wrote:Of course it would help.
We could assure potentional mergees that their credits would not be lost.
This is true of course - and not something I'd thought of....!

So, I'll see if Ars Technica want to shed some light on "how they did it"

regards,

Tim
UBT - Halifax-lad

Well I got bored of waiting to find out an answer to this so here is the answer
OK, so a bit confused now have some teams merged?
Not really - most of the existing team names have changed to "Ars Technica" to present a more unified presence on various stats pages.

The difficult one was SETI@Home, since there are two teams there. The larger of the two, "Team Ars Technica Lamb Chop", that was migrated from the old SETI@Home is now named "Ars Technica". The other team, with only 25 members, was changed from "Ars Technica" to "Ye Olde Ars Technica".

It would take assistance from the SETI admins at UCB to actually "merge" the two teams, and that may not be possible. So hopefully the "Ye Olde Ars Technica" team folks can be contacted (or will notice the change and come looking) to migrate to the "Ars Technica" team so that their contribution will be included in the global stats.
Temujin

Post by Temujin »

right, I'm confused now (easily done I know)
have the teams merged or just changed their names?
UBT - Halifax-lad

Changed names

Edit: all the teams were going under different names on each project so all they have done is name the team the same on each project, which is why people thought some teams have merged.

No teams have merged :!:  :!:

renaming the team to the same for each project has just meant that now all the credits are combined and taken into account on the overall BOINCstats, hence the massive leap
UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Post by UBT - Timbo »

UBT - Halifax--lad wrote:Changed names

Edit: all the teams were going under different names on each project so all they have done is name the team the same on each project, which is why people thought some teams have merged.

No teams have merged :!:  :!:

renaming the team to the same for each project has just meant that now all the credits are combined and taken into account on the overall BOINCstats, hence the massive leap

OK - thanks David.

I emailed "Biggles" the O/P on the ArsFoodCourt site, but it bounced back.

I've then emailed MarcC, but got no response back.

So, in essence then: if a different team changed their name to "UK BOINC Team", then in essence the stats sites would think they are the same and merge them (at least as far as the stats go....!).

OR:

If we could get a common name agreed with any other high ranking, high scoring UK BOINC Team (sorrynot US, but you know what I mean !), we could all still retain our individual identities, BUT - the stats sites would actually COMBINE ALL of the credits.....!

Of course, we could try that easily enough - I'm happy to rename one of the lower scoring projects "Team name" and see if the stats sites merge the credits....!

regards,

Tim
UBT - Halifax-lad

Nope what you are saying is impossible, once a team name is created no other person can create a team with that name as it errors out saying there is already a team with that name.

All that has happened in this case is:

On every project they had a different team name no set standard one, so they decided to chose one team name for everything, which has pulled everything into a combined stat.

So say they were crunching for 15 projects each with a different name then overall they are classed as 15 teams, however when all 15 change names to 1 name the stats align and give the impression of a merger when all that has happened is they have got one set standard now
UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Post by UBT - Timbo »

UBT - Halifax--lad wrote:Nope what you are saying is impossible, once a team name is created no other person can create a team with that name as it errors out saying there is already a team with that name.

All that has happened in this case is:

On every project they had a different team name no set standard one, so they decided to chose one team name for everything, which has pulled everything into a combined stat.

So say they were crunching for 15 projects each with a different name then overall they are classed as 15 teams, however when all 15 change names to 1 name the stats align and give the impression of a merger when all that has happened is they have got one set standard now

Blast - so each "Team name" on each project is unique - unlike member names which do not have to be unique....!

But a "best of breed" team could be created - where for each project a "high scoring" Team "donates" it's credits to a single name and then other UK Teams donate their "best of breed" project to the same name....!

A bit "bastardised", but it could work...!    On 2nd thoughts - nah - we've got too many credits in quite a few projects already!!

regards,

Tim

Edit: typo + extra "thought"
Last edited by UBT - Timbo on Tue May 02, 2006 10:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
UBT - Halifax-lad

Nah not worth it  :lol:  :lol:

Stick to what we do best kicking butt :!:  :!:

this is the message you get trying to set up a team name already in existence

Could not create team - please try later.
You may need to try a different team name.
setiuk
BOINC.UK team member

Post by setiuk »

For your info on this subject from David Anderson @ Berkeley:
There's no provision for merging BOINC teams.
It could be done by them - but they will not do it, and did not merge Ars Tech & Lamb Chop.

So now we all know.
Last edited by setiuk on Tue May 02, 2006 10:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
UBT - Halifax-lad

Thanks Mike for pointing out that info, we have got it sorted now was just one team with many different names changing to just one name