Pictures of your PC's / crunching farms. 56k warning........

Having problems installing that new stick of memory? Found some great software or having issues with something? Or maybe want to chat about your PlayStation, X-Box, Nintendo, Sega, even your old Spectrum 48k....! Or maybe something you want to sell or acquire (computing related of course!). Let us know here...
jaysback

Pictures of your PC's / crunching farms. 56k warning........

Post by jaysback »

Thought I would get this thread started and see how it goes.
Here is a couple of my main rig that has been built and upgraded over the last couple of years.
I will post some up of the kids PC when its in its new case.

Right, let's see'em then.
UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Re: Pictures of your PC's / crunching farms. 56k warning....

Post by UBT - Timbo »

jaysback wrote:Thought I would get this thread started and see how it goes........
Kewl stuff (literally !!)

If anyone wants to post their PC piccy, and hasn't got the webspace to upload them to, then feel free to email the piccys to me and I'll "host" them for you.

Then you can create a posting showing your rig, after I email you the link URL(s).

regards,

Tim
melter65
Active UBT Contributor

Post by melter65 »

Thanks to jaysback for starting this Topic and good on Timbo for offering to host peoples pics  :D

I can fully understand the 'heavy hitters' not wanting to reveal their set-ups on a public forum. That's the reason you can set your computers to 'Hidden' in BOINC :lol:

I'm also interested in your overclocked, watercooled and 'out there' computers (jays being a prime example, also Marks (I think) in another thread) not just 'Crunching Farms' :)
UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Post by UBT - Timbo »

melter65 wrote:......I can fully understand the 'heavy hitters' not wanting to reveal their set-ups on a public forum. That's the reason you can set your computers to 'Hidden' in BOINC :lol:
I have to say, that I cannot understand why people need to hide their PC's from the host stats...

It's not as if there's anything going on that might incriminate you....

And you're not likely to be hacked or munged in any way, coz none of the data relates to any personal info...

OK, so we might be able to tell that a BOINC username has got some crappy 80386 with 64MB RAM and a 20Mb MFM drive.....so what?

As for the heavy hitters....one can make a pretty good assumption, just looking at a BOINC username stats on the "combined" rankings, as to how many CPU's one might have...esp. as most heavy hitters are "on" 24/7....  8)

So, unless you've got a nice s/h Cray or you are using the entire company server farm for BOINC (and haven't told them !), then I don't see the "risk".

Of course a glossy picture of a nice, expensive PC, showing the actual house it's located in, might be a bit of a giveaway....! Hence why I've suggested members remove any personal info from their forum profile (and BOINC profile on each project) so that there's less chance of anyone figuring out the value of said machinery...!

But in this day and age of cheap PC's, I'd have thought the car outside your house is a higher risk target than a PC inside...!

regards

Tim
jaysback

Post by jaysback »

Cheers timbo for the offer of hosting the pics.
Anyone going to take him up on the offer?
Your rig doesn't need to be anything special, it just nice to see what people are using to crunch with.
As for showing hosts, I don't think its a problem.
The only thing I do wish is being able to remove my old hosts. E.G. my old athlon 2500 mobile. Thats like well over 4 years ago.
melter65
Active UBT Contributor

Post by melter65 »

jaysback wrote:The only thing I do wish is being able to remove my old hosts. E.G. my old athlon 2500 mobile. Thats like well over 4 years ago.
I know what you mean! Mine still shows my old Athlon, home built (not by me) host, but the most embarrassing thing is that it shows the OS as Millennium!!  :oops:  :oops:
UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Post by UBT - Timbo »

melter65 wrote:I know what you mean! Mine still shows my old Athlon, home built (not by me) host, but the most embarrassing thing is that it shows the OS as Millennium!!  :oops:  :oops:
Ah...there's nothing like a nice old CPU and OS to come back and haunt you....! 8)

Mind you, I'm surprised that this is still being shown in the stats...most projects normally will auto-delete old hosts that haven't returned work recently....or at least give you the option to delete it manually...check your account settings on the project involved...!

regards,

Tim
UBT - bobuk
Active UBT Contributor 10+ yrs

Post by UBT - bobuk »

melter65 wrote:Mine still shows my old Athlon,
mine still shows a "sinclair spectrum"  :wink:

b. :D
UBT - The Prof....

Post by UBT - The Prof.... »

Anyone else got a ZX 80  :!:  :?:  :shock:  :wink:
melter65
Active UBT Contributor

Post by melter65 »

UBT - Timbo wrote:Mind you, I'm surprised that this is still being shown in the stats...most projects normally will auto-delete old hosts that haven't returned work recently....or at least give you the option to delete it manually...check your account settings on the project involved...!
I'll do that, though I'll have to trawl through them as I only noticed it when I was setting all my profiles :roll:

Prof, up until a couple of years ago I still had an Amiga 600 8)
melter65
Active UBT Contributor

Post by melter65 »

Ooh! The threads gone all funny! I feel a bit queasy :pukeright:
Gary

Post by Gary »

I still have a Sinclair spectrum and a 386 with a 270mb hd and 16mb ram, just waiting to get on a job with a skip   :)
UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Post by UBT - Timbo »

Gary wrote:I still have a Sinclair spectrum and a 386 with a 270mb hd and 16mb ram, just waiting to get on a job with a skip   :)
OK, I can beat that....A Sinclair ZX81 and a 80286 PC with a mono graphics card a 20Mb HDD and an AST Rampage Extended Memory ISA card, with (wait for it) 2MB of memory......

And I still have my very first modem....a Prism 1200/75 half duplex unit, that  connected to my brothers Spectrum via the edge connector.

I used to borrow his Spectrum when I wanted to send an email.....way back in 1983 or so....I had an email account with Prestel.....now I really am showing my age.... :shock:

regards

Tim
Last edited by UBT - Timbo on Fri Sep 21, 2007 7:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Gary

Post by Gary »

UBT - Timbo wrote: ....way back in 1983 or so....I had an email account with Prestel.....now I really am showing my age.... :shock:

regards

Tim
blimey, how did email work back then ?  :o
UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Post by UBT - Timbo »

Gary wrote:blimey, how did email work back then ?  :o
Well, let's just say that Prestel was a "closed shop"....you could send a text message to anyone else who had a Prestel account....

And, IIRC, there's were open forums, just like this one, where people could "chat" amongst themselves about any subject - I don't recall there being any moderation, coz if people reported you, your account was closed.....even though Prestel was a subscription based system costing some pounds per month.

Best thing about it, was (and still is), that lots of travel agents used it for checking hotel and room availability....and most "TA's" were (and still are) young and female, so Prestel was great for a pubescent chap seeking to converse with girlies.... :oops:

And you got a real insight into all the free trips and "jollies" that TA's "earnt" from the various tour operators.....and you thought you were going on holiday to a destination of *YOUR* own free will..... :wink:

regards,

Tim
Semmy

Post by Semmy »

My main beastie

Currently a AMD 64 X2 6000 with 4 gig of DDR2 in a full tower case.
Runs at a very reasonable 35 degrees at full load :)

OK, why do the image tags not work? (or is it just me?)
Last edited by Semmy on Sat Sep 29, 2007 2:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
melter65
Active UBT Contributor

Post by melter65 »

Thanks Semmy, a lot of purple cooling pipes going on in there!! 8)

I know you have to remove the side panel for photo's, but how many people run their 'puters with the side panel off all the time, and is there any cooling gained by this?
UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Post by UBT - Timbo »

Semmy wrote:....OK, why do the image tags not work? (or is it just me?)
Easy - coz you left spaces between different parts of the file names...!

Windows doesn't like spaces in the URL, hence why hypens and underscores are used.

In this case, I modified your URL links to include %20, which Windows does recognise as a space.

regards,

Tim
jaysback

Post by jaysback »

Looking good semmy.
How good is that pump of yours?
Mine is running on a ehiem 1046 atm and its getting a bit noisey.
Semmy

Post by Semmy »

Well it's only 4 months old but it is still to all intents silent, no noise just a little vibration in the case (TBH if I mounted it better it would be silent).
Gary

Post by Gary »

Semmy, Jay a question...

do you have to get a special case to fit water cooling ?  curious as mine has two holes at the back which I presume is for watercooling but there doesn't seem to be enough room inside.
Semmy

Post by Semmy »

It all depends what you want to do with the cooling rig, extreme cooling solution for max overclocking needs a diferent spec than silent cooling etc..

A basic water cooling loops is as follows:-

Pump -> CPU cooling block -> radiator -> Resevoir -> Pump where for "normal use a single 120mm radiator/fan combo would be fine.

The more heat producing items you add to the loop, the more cooling capacity you need to add in radiators and fans.

For crunching CPU, Chipset and memory would be good to cool, a bit of gaming then add in the Graphics card.

In my rig I decided that although I run at stock speeds by fitting a larger radiator (3x120mm sized) I could use slower quieter fans. I also run them on a variable speed controller so for those cooler days I can turn the fans down even lower, audible at only 6" or less).

TBH I "borrowed" a lot of expertise from here -> http://www.over-clock.com/ and indeed collected my kit from here too.

Install time was an evening work, hardest job was cutting the holes in the top of the case.......

PS. For budget audio damping mats for the case sides etc.  B&Q vinyl floor tiles £2.99 for a pack of 10!
jaysback

Post by jaysback »

You can get watercooliong in some very tight palces.
http://www.hothardware.com/articles/Shu ... em/?page=2

IMO Looks better in a big case being shown off though.