3rd Weekend Crunch - Voting time

This section is where you can post topics related to Challenges from other websites, such as Formula-BOINC, SETI-Germany and BOINCstats, as well as project challenges such as from WCG, PrimeGrid et al.

As a Team, we really want to engage as many team members with these challenges, as this gives us a great way of attracting more members to our Team...plus we get to show our strengths as a Team by (hopefully) doing well in each one.

PS: I have moved lots of topics into this section where they are relevant...as you can see, we've always been happy to take part in Challenges...and long may that continue ;-)
UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

3rd Weekend Crunch - Voting time

Post by UBT - Timbo »

Hi all,

I guess it time to vote again....

I think there are FOUR candidates worth considering for the next Crunch (on w/e of 27/28th May) - by which time we should be 3rd in UK and maybe 47th in World !!.

So I offer these for your delectation:

WCG WU are available for both Rosetta and FAAH
We're in 176th World position, and would be nice to go higher - for all other projects, we're in the top 10 (in UK!)
- members: 50 position: 176th (World) ?? (UK)

SIMAP WU seem to be available
- active members: 44 position: 36th (World) 3rd (UK)

Rosetta Our last effort to crunch for Rosetta failed due to many members having problems - any news yet of if Rom has fixed it - their Tech News says nothing since March 28th.
- active members: 159 position: 50th (World) 2nd (UK)

Predictor Not withstanding issues from last week, is this worth going for?
- members: 128 position: 37th (World) 2nd (UK)

SORRY - MALARIA REMOVED AS NEW ACCOUNTS NOT AVAILABLE
Malaria Lots of nice short WU's currently available.
- members: 14 position: 15th (World) 1st (UK)

Please let me know if another candidate is worthy of consideration - most other projects either have little work, are offline or are closed to new members joining up. What's needed is a project with plenty of WU, that are consistently online and which new members can join easily.

I've purposely NOT included any of the CPDN projects, as these WU's are all long term and hence cannot easily be completed in a short time (such as 48 hours), so it makes more sense for these to be used as "back-up" projects if our chosen "Crunch" project is offline.

regards,

Tim

Edit: Poll now closed (11th May).
Last edited by UBT - Timbo on Fri May 19, 2006 8:30 pm, edited 7 times in total.
UBT - Liamlee
Active UBT Contributor 15+ yrs

Post by UBT - Liamlee »

Hi Tim i would love to help but im away, Hope you all do well on that weekend.
UBT - Halifax-lad

Post by UBT - Halifax-lad »

Rosetta still has the bugs in there, RALPH is testing a new app that at the moment in my opinion is too buggy to crunch for, as the app keeps failing WU's, aborting WU's etc etc. They have a watchdog within the WU' that monitors them and will abort them after X amount of trys and other various errors, but its been too strict and is failing lots of WU's :lol:  :lol:

Predictor, well there is no communication from them about WU's, so that counts them out for me for a weekends dedication.

SIMAP that is a good one, would consider that for another time, there servers are usually always up and the work always comes.

WCG is the one for me need to get the rankings up, the servers as far as I am aware have not been down once since I started with them and the work as always been there. New project coming out on WCG soon also, so I am going to chose this as my project just to try and attract more people to us over there
UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Post by UBT - Timbo »

liamlee wrote:Hi Tim i would love to help but im away, Hope you all do well on that weekend.
Hi Lee

You can always leave your PC on...just download some WU's before you go !

regards,

Tim
UBT - JsF

Post by UBT - JsF »

WCG is the one for me to.

Jimmy
UBT - PaulT

Post by UBT - PaulT »

How about Rosetta and try to overtake 1st placed OcUK?  We are only about 300,000 behind them.
UBT - Halifax-lad

Rosetta still doesn't work correctly on all computers some are still getting errors

Edit: Also we need to move up on WCG to support the fact that we are one of the BEST teams on all projects
UBT - Mikee
Marvin the Dalek

Post by UBT - Mikee »

According to the Malaria control site they're not taking new members so I think that should be taken out of the poll + as a beta project there's always the chance of an unforeseen software fail.
We have reached our target of approx. 500 users for the beta testing and disabled account creation for now. At this moment we cannot say when we will reopen for more users.
Follow us on Twitter... http://twitter.com/UKBOINCTeam

Image Image

UBT - Halifax-lad

But theres one poor person who has voted for it now :lol:
UBT - GysmoSan

Post by UBT - GysmoSan »

I do all the above but I think WCG deserves it the most.

Martin
Mark L.

Post by Mark L. »

I've voted for WCG, but if we had more members on the project I would have voted for Malaria out of the 5 listed.

I also think uFluids is an interesting project, but they still haven't sorted out the checkpointing issue with their units, so if you turn off the computer the active WU starts again from the beginning.

That said, if we were doing a team crunch, most of the computers would probably be on right through anyway.....

Stig

AKA:-
UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Post by UBT - Timbo »

UBT - Mikeejones wrote:According to the Malaria control site they're not taking new members so I think that should be taken out of the poll + as a beta project there's always the chance of an unforeseen software fail.
We have reached our target of approx. 500 users for the beta testing and disabled account creation for now. At this moment we cannot say when we will reopen for more users.

Hi Mike,

I hadn't spotted that was still an issue, so OK - Malaria is "OFF" for now.

regards,

Tim
UBT - Halifax-lad

UBT - Timbo wrote:Hi Mike,

I hadn't spotted that was still an issue, so OK - Malaria is "OFF" for now.
100 points taken away from the Master for been totally useless and not realising account creation is closed
UBT - JsF

Post by UBT - JsF »

UBT - Halifax--lad wrote:
100 points taken away from the Master for been totally useless and not realising account creation is closed
I think we should have extra Stats signature
for the brownie point.                                 :smilebox:
Last edited by UBT - JsF on Thu Apr 27, 2006 9:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
closed

Post by closed »

UBT - Halifax--lad wrote:100 points taken away from the Master for been totally useless and not realising account creation is closed
No sooner as I was getting down and dirty with a few wenches and I hear a "noise" from my  minions telling me that you have uttered my NAME.... !

Did thouest use MY NAME without my permission, young Halifax person?

A thousand brownie marks OFF your score for causing me to waste more than one second away from these delightfully unclothed young females...........oh, I can FEEL something stirring.......
Last edited by closed on Thu Apr 27, 2006 9:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
UBT - Halifax-lad

The Master wrote:
UBT - Halifax--lad wrote:100 points taken away from the Master for been totally useless and not realising account creation is closed

No sooner as I was getting down and dirty with a few wenches and I hear a "noise" from my  minions telling me that you have uttered my NAME.... !

Did thouest use MY NAME without my permission, young Halifax person?

A thousand brownie marks OFF your score for causing me to waste more than one second away from these delightfully unclothed young females...........oh, I can FEEL something stirring.......

The Master
(For it is HE)
:lol:  :lol:  :lol:

I bet that Jackie women is there as well scoring her brownie points in ways us men slaves cannot :roll:
closed

Post by closed »

UBT - Halifax--lad wrote: :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

I bet that Jackie women is there as well scoring her brownie points in ways us men slaves cannot :roll:
What Jackie is doing now, she does for the good of MANKIND.....!

So, don't spoil a perfectly good wenching evening (after all there's nothing on the 'box) by bringing some HUMAN perception to the "party".

And yes, what she does, NO MAN can EVER do....!
RodEllery

Post by RodEllery »

Nice to see your avater back Master. It dissappeared for a few days.

/END GROVEL/
UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Re: 3rd Weekend Crunch - Voting time

Post by UBT - Timbo »

UBT - Timbo wrote:Hi all, I guess it time to vote again....

I think there are FOUR candidates worth considering for the next Crunch (on w/e of 27/28th May) - by which time we should be 3rd in UK and maybe 47th in World !!.
With just a week or so gone (and about three weeks to go until the poll closes), it seems that there is a consensus growing that WCG should get our attention for the next Crunch.

I'm planning an email to go out in the next week or so, inviting our current membership to take on the task and to generate some healthy credits so we can rise up the World ranking charts from our current lowly 170th-odd position.

If there's anything else that needs to be covered in the email, please let me know either here or by PM/email as you choose.

regards,

Tim
Last edited by UBT - Timbo on Wed May 03, 2006 10:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
UBT - Halifax-lad

UBT - Timbo wrote:If there's anything else that needs to be covered in the email, please let me know either here or by PM/email as you choose.
You can mention SETI Enhanced seen as though it is coming during this next month, with the old WU's been slowly phased out
UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Post by UBT - Timbo »

UBT - Timbo wrote:Hi all, I guess it time to vote again....
Hi all,

I've just pinged out an email to all members advising about the 3rd Weekend Crunch.

Seems that the chosen project is WCG, with Rosetta and Ralph as the "back-up's" in case WCG has a problem.

I'll close down the poll now, as it's pointless carrying on - it's been up for two weeks and I don't think they'll be any further "voting", which would sway the decision...!

regards,

Tim
UBT - Mikee
Marvin the Dalek

Post by UBT - Mikee »

Just attached my Laptop to WCG in preparation for next weekend and noticed that the 'new user' option was 'greyed out' - 'returning user' (or whatever) was OK.

So it seems that you have to create an account on the WCG site first rather than go through the BOINC client. I'm sure I've created other accounts via the BOINC client before.

Probably always been that way but I thought I'd mention it in case it's an issue we need to look at.
Follow us on Twitter... http://twitter.com/UKBOINCTeam

Image Image

UBT - Halifax-lad

WCG is not set up on standard BOINC software you need to create an account at the website first