Yoyo@home

The section for those minor projects that are around, such as CAS@home, Yafu, Yoyo@home and also including those that are "non-intensive", such as GoofyxGrid, WUProp, which can both be run in the background.
Ram Raider
UBT Contributor (Retired)

Yoyo@home

Post by Ram Raider » Sun Jul 22, 2007 10:28 am

It's getting difficult to keep up but here's another one

http://yoyo8.homedns.org:88/yoyo/

This appears to be a test project set up by one of the German teams. At the moment it's just issuing an extended Uppercase application (with work units taking about 30 mins each). Not sure whether it will ever do any real work.

Acount creation is open and team has been created.

UBT - Mikee
Marvin the Dalek

Post by UBT - Mikee » Sat Aug 04, 2007 7:45 pm

03.08.2007 Windows version
Big thanks to Codemann who compiled the Windows wrapper and did a great support. The windows version is now also ready for testing and I released new OGR work units to celebrate it. The project now enters Beta state.
If you are interested in applications for other platforms write a mail to yoyo at mailueberfall dot de or use the forum.
If you have problems with the project reset it, it should work afterwards.
Follow us on Twitter... http://twitter.com/UKBOINCTeam

Image Image

Ram Raider

Post by Ram Raider » Sat Aug 04, 2007 9:13 pm

If you're running McAfee Virus Scan, beware
VirusScan Enterprise: The file C:\Program Files\BOINC\projects\yoyo8.homedns.org_88_yoyo\crunch_1.01_windows_intelx86.exe is infected with Proxy-DistNet Trojan. The file was successfully deleted.(running VirusScan Enter 8.0 OAS)
This means the download fails as the file gets deleted immediately.

Anybody else seen this problem?

I use Avast on my other PCs and that's OK.

UBT - Mikee
Marvin the Dalek

Post by UBT - Mikee » Sat Aug 04, 2007 9:25 pm

No probs with AVG free.

Image Image

UBT - Mikee
Marvin the Dalek

Post by UBT - Mikee » Mon Aug 06, 2007 7:28 am

I have found that if you have a multiprocessor core than you HAVE to run more than this project by itself!

To me it looks like each WU is trying to write to the same 'slot', sees there's something all ready in there and errors out. Works fine when 1 core is doing this and the other core is doing something else - ALWAYS errors out if both cores are doing yoyo's.

Image Image

Ram Raider

Post by Ram Raider » Mon Aug 06, 2007 6:16 pm

Should be fixed now although I haven't tried it.

From Boinc Synergy forums
It should now be possible to crunch multiple WUs in parallel. I solved it in cruncher 1.02 for windows.
yoyo

UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Post by UBT - Timbo » Sat Aug 25, 2007 8:51 pm

UBT - Mikee wrote:I have found that if you have a multiprocessor core than you HAVE to run more than this project by itself!....
Sadly, what they haven't fixed, is the fact that there is no checkpointing on their WUs....I had to shut down BOINC (to restart my PC) and lost 2x 9 hours worth of crunching on 2x Yoyo WUs....

Oh wel....

regards

Tim

UBT - Mikee
Marvin the Dalek

Post by UBT - Mikee » Sat Aug 25, 2007 8:58 pm

Betatest, be not surprised.
Just finished a 15 hour one, another still running at 17 hours. Someone with a  really fast processor has had a 25 hour one.

I thought there was a bit of checkpointing as when I looked at the 'slots' table earlier there were a couple of updated files. However, they haven't been updated since I last looked around 5 hours ago - so probably not.

[edit] Or maybe they can be! Just had one 'suspended' while a SAH WU was done. The associated 'slot' had been updated when the WU started. So it may be that if 'suspend' before switching off it will restart from that point - maybe!

Image Image

melter65
UBT Contributor

Post by melter65 » Sun Aug 26, 2007 9:31 pm

I've had a look at the forum for this project. There is a thread devoted to the 'no checkpoint' question and the answers aren't very promising for us single CPU crunchers! :(

I also lost the same WU, twice, once at 5hrs and again at 4hrs through needing to restart the 'puter :roll:

This is going to be like CPDN, it's going to take a little thought as to when to start crunching a WU, knowing that when it starts you can't afford to stop it! :lol:

One for the Farmers, I think! :D

UBT - Mikee
Marvin the Dalek

Post by UBT - Mikee » Wed Aug 29, 2007 10:15 am

A little bit of good news! The new WUs are a quarter the size of the last batch. Well, they're the same batch but chopped in 4!
Hello,
the length of yoyo@home WUs are mainly unpredictable. In the past WUs finished very fast. Therefore I put 8 OGR WUs in 1 Boinc WU. This leads to a runtime of less than 1h.
Now the OGRs are running longer. So the Boinc WUs which are now created containing only 2 OGR WUs.
But first we have to crunch the existing 15.000 WUs Mißbilligend
yoyo
I did one last night and it only took 5 hours!

I've got another problem now! So many people have detached/aborted that the ones I had all ready done show no sign of being validated!

Image Image

melter65
UBT Contributor

Post by melter65 » Wed Aug 29, 2007 3:12 pm

Ooops! :oops:

UBT - Mikee
Marvin the Dalek

Post by UBT - Mikee » Wed Aug 29, 2007 6:42 pm

That didn't take as long as expected!
29.08.2007 Version 1.06
Version 1.06 contains checkpoints and a progress indicator. Progress bar will be increased every 1/8 of the WU. Please report problems in the forum.

29.08.2007 64 bit version for Linux
I added a 64 bit version for Linux. Please report problems in this thread.
[edit]
Though it looks like they're back to full length as the 2 I have running are quite long. A version 1.04 is at 15 hours and not stopping, a version 1.06 at 12½% and 7 hours but at least it suspended itself while other WUs progressed.

Image Image

UBT - Mikee
Marvin the Dalek

Post by UBT - Mikee » Thu Aug 30, 2007 6:02 pm

I haven't had a rant for a few weeks so....

Rant time!

That's it - I've had enough of this!

Why?
  • 1 - 1 WU aborted itself after over 17 hours (exit no finished file sort of thing)
    2 - 1 WU I had nearly 400 claimed credits - ended up with 78 - 78 credits for 34 hours work where I'd normally expect around 500 or more!
    3 - 12½% after 7 hours - another 40odd hours to go with a chance of less than 100 credits? That's aborted now as well.
I'm not posting this on their board as I know Yoyo pops in here occasionally and I don't want to put too many people off a new project.

Bah - humbug - Grrrr - Beta projects :evil:  :evil:  :evil:

I'll go back to it in a few weeks once I've forgotten about this!

Rant off!

Image Image

RodEllery
UBT Contributor no more (RIP)

Post by RodEllery » Fri Aug 31, 2007 12:09 am

Well the one I got granted today gave the following:

120,725.56 secs  (33+ hours)
257.46 claimed
242.10 granted

= 7.21credits/hour.  

Not good but just within acceptable limits for the machine in question, I've still got 1700 credits pending.  Letting the pending drop a bit before processing more.

yoyo
Rechenkraft team member

Post by yoyo » Sun Sep 02, 2007 5:15 pm

How do you know that I'm reading sometimes this forum ;-)

The problem is, that for this WU cruncher 1.04 was used. In this version if you restart the WU only the CPU time of the last run is reported to the server and used for claiming credits. In this particular case your partner restarted the WU 2 times and reported only 1/3 of the cpu time you reported.

yoyo

BTW: I'm using programmer who can help to improve the project. E.g. a graphic would be fine and a port to PS3 and other projects are waiting for integration.

UBT - Mikee
Marvin the Dalek

Post by UBT - Mikee » Mon Sep 10, 2007 10:30 pm

This is looking better now!

Ones I did a couple of weeks ago are getting validated (quorum = 2).

The last 2 that have been validated (a 5 hour one and a 3 hour one) are showing a 'credit granted' equivalent to around 500/day which, for this PC, is one of the more generous projects now.

Did 1 last week which took 46 hours. Hopefully, this should return around 1000+. Unfortunately, there have been 2 'no replies' and 2 'client error' which is slowing down the validation a bit!

Image Image

yoyo
Rechenkraft team member

Post by yoyo » Tue Sep 11, 2007 5:44 am

Plans for the future are to set quorum=1 and calculate the credit based on how many GNodes were crunched in the work unit.
yoyo

UBT - Mikee
Marvin the Dalek

Post by UBT - Mikee » Sun Sep 16, 2007 9:16 pm

yoyo wrote:Plans for the future are to set quorum=1 and calculate the credit based on how many GNodes were crunched in the work unit.
yoyo
16.09.2007 New validator
A new validator is in operation which grants credits based on calculated GNodes. Quorum is now set to 1 and credits are granted immediately.
YES! I got credits! 2300 of the little beauties!

Thanks Yoyo! I'm sure that you'll get a lot more people crunching these huge WUs now that they're validating immediately.

Image Image

yoyo
Rechenkraft team member

Post by yoyo » Sun Sep 16, 2007 9:40 pm

There was a lot credit granted today and a lot of OGR send to distributed.net. I'm prety sure that we will be #1 in distributed.net stats tomorrow :)
yoyo

melter65
UBT Contributor

Post by melter65 » Sun Sep 16, 2007 10:40 pm

Nice one, yoyo! :thumbright:

It's good to get project feedback and information from you 8)  :D  :D