Google Earth

Add links or just chat about things you've found elsewhere on the web...or just add a "plug" for a local event happening near you...!
UBT - Halifax-lad

Google Earth

Post by UBT - Halifax-lad »

Any one else use Google Earth :?:

Downloaded it a while ago its ace.

Wouldn't mind setting up a place-marks file with all of us included on it just so we can see more or less where we are, such as this

http://img485.imageshack.us/my.php?imag ... 7360zh.png

If anyone wants to be on the Map PM me with your Post Code, don't worry I won't put your exact location on will place it in a area around that location. Once the file is done I will upload it somewhere for anyone else to use.

Post Code would be deleted once you have sent it to me
UBT - Halifax-lad

Had a couple of responses with location detail, have also take peoples home towns out of there profiles.

There's a lot of you southerners in the forum :!:

Am going to go through a couple of other lists I have, so once ready will provide the file with all the place marks on.

So if anyone else is interested give me your details.

Will be done in a day or 2
UBT - Simon

Post by UBT - Simon »

yeah i've used google earth ;) pretty cool. though if i give you my postcode unless its changed all you get is a blur :-(
UBT - Halifax-lad

I know they constantly update the images but god knows how long it takes for them to do that
Temujin

Post by Temujin »

UBT - Simon wrote:yeah i've used google earth ;) pretty cool. though if i give you my postcode unless its changed all you get is a blur :-(
yeah, when I 1st saw it last year sometime my area was a blur, now though I can make out features in my garden, look at this
UBT - Halifax-lad

Have got 45 on there so far and have not finished yet, will prob not be ready until next weekend I want to get it all sorted and as full as possible with as many of our members on as possible.

Now off to bed am shattered
UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Re: Google Earth

Post by UBT - Timbo »

UBT - Halifax--lad wrote:Any one else use Google Earth :?:

Downloaded it a while ago its ace.

Wouldn't mind setting up a place-marks file with all of us included on it just so we can see more or less where we are, such as this

By 'eck lad, you won't believe this, but, over the weekend, I was thinking along the exact same lines - I know that one can export Google "kmz" locations, but then it was question of if anyone can create a complete "Layer" like the one's Google Earth already uses for places and other sites.

Had a try and the best I can come up with is a folder, or to use the "Share with Google Earth Community..."

So, I'm game for a laugh....!

Anyone else?

regards,

Tim
UBT - Halifax-lad

I have got a folder set up which can just be imported as you said, when I get home I will put the file I have done already online for others to use.

Still got a lot more to do with it, but it gives a good idea of where we all are. I think by next Saturday/Sunday the full complete version will be ready, or the best it can be given the info I am able to obtain.

Just so you all know I am getting info from the forum, peoples personal websites & any profiles I can find, its a huge task but well worth it.

We already have a north south divide with all you southern faries taking over UBT
Temujin

Post by Temujin »

doesn't google earth give this functionality already?
I've seen on other forums where you can add youself in real time, remove your location, change your location etc

It would save you a lot of work.

[EDIT]
this type of thing
or is that what your doing?
UBT - Halifax-lad

Thats good but not as good as Google Earth, much prefer it using the main program you can download.

Its great for all sorts is the program and the file I am doing is just as an additional extra to whatever you currently mau use Google Earth for.

Don't mind doing it once its done its easy to keep on top of, its just the 1st one that is a pain as I need to enter all the info.

Once its done I will keep track of any new members/members moving and will update the file, then once every 3 months I will check all the info it holds is correct.

I have plenty of time on my hands :lol:  :lol:  Is a welcome break from studying all the time
UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Post by UBT - Timbo »

Temujin wrote:doesn't google earth give this functionality already?
I've seen on other forums where you can add youself in real time, remove your location, change your location etc

It would save you a lot of work.

[EDIT]
this type of thing
or is that what your doing?

Not wishing to upset David, but I've set up a frappr map for people to join, if they feel like it. Might save David some hassle:

http://www.frappr.com/ukboincteam?showform=0

regards,

Tim
Temujin

Post by Temujin »

UBT - Timbo wrote:Not wishing to upset David, but I've set up a frappr map for people to join, if they feel like it. Might save David some hassle:
I'm in
thats dead easy aint it  :thumbup:
UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Post by UBT - Timbo »

Temujin wrote:
UBT - Timbo wrote:Not wishing to upset David, but I've set up a frappr map for people to join, if they feel like it. Might save David some hassle:
I'm in
thats dead easy aint it  :thumbup:

Yup - also now a link to it from the Team website:

http://www.ukboincteam.org.uk/members/u ... s-map.html

regards,

Tim
UBT - Halifax-lad

File is roughly 50% complete, will get the file up to be downloaded shortly and once I finish the rest of it will let anyone interested know so they can then download that one
UBT - PiezPiedPy

Post by UBT - PiezPiedPy »

I'm on 2 :wink:
UBT - Halifax-lad

It would seem Timbo has put the file up on the website now, its under the Team membership by area link.

Here is the direct link to the download

Some are rough estimates and are not the exact location, others where people have provided there details are quite accurate, I may have moved it a couple of streets.

Those of you in London with no exact location are all swimming in the Thames.

Will get around to finishing it off in the next few weeks for now you will have to live with what there is

Enjoy :!:
Pedro

Post by Pedro »

is Moby really driving that lorry ?
UBT - Halifax-lad

They are mainy guestimates of where people are if I know the town then I have just placed the marker any where in the town, only a few are exact locations
UBT - Simon

Post by UBT - Simon »

yeah big guestimate! I seem to live at the local happy clappy church!
Pedro

Post by Pedro »

hahaha, how much u charging nowadays ?
Temujin

Post by Temujin »

and I apparently live in a field  :lol:
UBT - Halifax-lad

Be glad you're not in London and are one of those people who doesn't have a exact location, as they are all now swimming in the Thames