UBT Birthday - Favourite Project Crunch (22nd-24th June)

This section is where you can post topics related to Challenges from other websites, such as Formula-BOINC, SETI-Germany and BOINCstats, as well as project challenges such as from WCG, PrimeGrid et al.

As a Team, we really want to engage as many team members with these challenges, as this gives us a great way of attracting more members to our Team...plus we get to show our strengths as a Team by (hopefully) doing well in each one.

PS: I have moved lots of topics into this section where they are relevant...as you can see, we've always been happy to take part in Challenges...and long may that continue ;-)
UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

UBT Birthday - Favourite Project Crunch (22nd-24th June)

Post by UBT - Timbo »

Hi all,

I've been thinking about what to do to help celebrate the Teams 3rd birthday on 23rd June 2007....

And I'm keen for any suggestions to be made so that a few "special events" might take place somewhere.

But I'm also keen that perhaps the projects should also benefit in some way...

My "simple" idea, which I'm mentioning below, is to try and get some of our currently inactive members, (nearly 50% of the team in fact) crunching again.

And perhaps one way of doing this, is that I send to every team member, an email invitation to crunch over the weekend of 22nd/23rd/24th June for any project they like, just as long as they crunch for something....!

And from this, came the idea of the "UBT Birthday Favourite Project Crunch"......!

Hopefully, enough of you will agree to participate in this in order to make it a "go-er". (And if you think it's a bad idea, please let me know  :oops: )

I don't think it will be a problem generating some interest, but what would also be good, (and assuming the general consensus is that it's a good idea) is that we need a few volunteers who don't mind helping out, by spreading this idea around the various project forums.

And who knows, we might increase our team membership as well.

Any/all comments welcome....!

regards,

Tim
Last edited by UBT - Timbo on Sat Jun 23, 2007 6:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.
ghosttrain

Post by ghosttrain »

As a newcomer, I'm up for it.  Some people prefer to crunch without visiting the forums and this is great, but it's keeping the interest of the one's who fall by the wayside that's the hardest.  All power to your elbow Timbo.  :thumbleft:
Rockinfroggi

Post by Rockinfroggi »

Sounds good to me, let me know anyway I can help but as far as posting on project forums, do you want to allocate projects for each volunteer so as not to flood any one project? and is it best to do this nearer the time so it is fresh in peoples minds or start now and repeat nearer the time.

"UBT Birthday Favourite Project Crunch"
Would this be each members favourite project or a project of your choice being the founding father and overseer of his Kingdom?

Gary.
UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Post by UBT - Timbo »

Rockinfroggi wrote:Sounds good to me, let me know anyway I can help but as far as posting on project forums, do you want to allocate projects for each volunteer so as not to flood any one project? and is it best to do this nearer the time so it is fresh in peoples minds or start now and repeat nearer the time.
Not sure about how to muster the volunteers - that's why I posted the idea on the forum - to gauge both reaction and to garner some other idea's - and likewise, why I did this now, as there's about 5 weeks to go in order to organise it (assuming it needs organising !!)..
"UBT Birthday Favourite Project Crunch"
Rockinfroggi wrote:Would this be each members favourite project or a project of your choice being the founding father and overseer of his Kingdom?
Ah, you missed the bit, where I said:
an email invitation to crunch over the weekend of 22nd/23rd/24th June for any project they like, just as long as they crunch for something
regards,

Tim
Rockinfroggi

Post by Rockinfroggi »

UBT - Timbo wrote:
Rockinfroggi wrote:Would this be each members favourite project or a project of your choice being the founding father and overseer of his Kingdom?
Ah, you missed the bit, where I said:
an email invitation to crunch over the weekend of 22nd/23rd/24th June for any project they like, just as long as they crunch for something
regards,

Tim
Didn't miss that bit, just thought that was aimed at the inactive members to get them crunching again. I thought it might be better to have a specific project for the more active members and regular mini crunch crunchers as we would all be crunching anyway and we may as well use it to reach one of our goals.

Gary.
UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Post by UBT - Timbo »

Hi all,

I've had a bit of a brainwave....!

Posting long drawn out messages in project forums, (asking people to participate) might take too long....

But what might be "cool" is to post a single graphic, which I can host (if members don't have the capability...).

The graphic needs to be colourful and informative and not to large (which can take ages to download)....and should include the UBT website name as well as a "coded link" to a specific thread on the forum, which details the Birthday Crunch.

So, if any graphics gurus out there, can put together a good birthday logo as a gif or jpeg and then once made available (in their final forms) members can post them anywhere (that's legal and won't cause problems with other peoples forum).....

In fact, we can turn this into a competition, with the best graphic winning some prize - I'm sure I can offer something that people might find "useful"....in fact the competition can go into the 1st email sent to members, as it might generate some creative input from some of the "inactives"...!

Whaddya think?

regards,

Tim
Last edited by UBT - Timbo on Wed May 30, 2007 1:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.
UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Post by UBT - Timbo »

Rockinfroggi wrote:Didn't miss that bit, just thought that was aimed at the inactive members to get them crunching again. I thought it might be better to have a specific project for the more active members and regular mini crunch crunchers as we would all be crunching anyway and we may as well use it to reach one of our goals.

Gary.
Quite true.....!

To be honest, I was thinking just to keep things simple and to allow everyone to participate in whatever project they liked....just by throwing off the shackles for a while...!

Of course, if some of the more active members, (who tend to frequent the forum  8) ), want to crunch for a specific project in order to achieve certain goals, then that can be organised via the forum.... :wink:

regards

Tim
Naon

Post by Naon »

I am in for that, its a great idea Timbo has come up with and i know that it needs to be simple to get it going.
I would like to suggest, can we have a birthday party in the chat room
Public and members can come in and "speak" and share ideas about joining or projects.
I know i will be there with beer and cookies.

Happy 3rd Birthday. to all ..........
UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Post by UBT - Timbo »

Naon wrote:I am in for that, its a great idea Timbo has come up with and i know that it needs to be simple to get it going.
I would like to suggest, can we have a birthday party in the chat room
Public and members can come in and "speak" and share ideas about joining or projects.
I know i will be there with beer and cookies.

Happy 3rd Birthday. to all ..........

Hi Naon,

I think that's a great idea....in fact, it might be best to ensure that everyone knows that the chat room will be open all through the period....

Of course we already know it's open 24/7....but it might be possible to get some guest speakers to attend.....

Now, this is just starting to really excite me....I wonder if we could get any BOINC dev's in there.....? Maybe David A., Rom W., etc etc.  :shock:

Even some project dev's, seeing as we support all the projects.   8)

A real time chat would be supercalifrag......oh, you know what I mean !

regards,

Tim
UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Post by UBT - Timbo »

Hi all,

OK - I've now downloaded, sorted and rationalised every members email address for all the projects where I'm the founder of the team....(which is nearly all as makes no difference)...

There's something like 3,800 individual accounts, across all the members and all the projects....!!!

And that translates into 1,150 different email addresses...!!

I've thought of a few things to include in an email to ALL UBT members, whether actively crunching or not....

And the gist would be the mentioning of:

1) Forthcoming WCG crunch

2) Forthcoming Team 3rd Birthday

3) ...and the Birthday crunch - to crunch for at least ONE project during the b'day weekend.

4) Competition (and prize) to design a UBT "birthday logo" (maybe for each project?)

5)  Competition (and prize) to design an updated UBT Team logo

6) Chat room is open all day for various "guests" to appear...(if they accept the invites).

And as always, including the URL links for the various Team "benefits" (website, forum, stats logo's, NEW project profiles changer,

And a reminder to ensure that each member joins up with UBT on every project they crunch for...as well as noting our recent credit history, current status and membership "milestones".

While I'm keen to keep the email fairly short and succinct, I'm wondering if there's anything else, that's pertinent, left to add.

Any comments/ideas, please let me know.

Ideally, I need to get this email sent by Monday at the latest.

regards

Tim
Rockinfroggi

Post by Rockinfroggi »

Has everyone been PM'ing their suggestions or is there a distinct lack of interest in this from regular forum lurkers?

Maybe if you offered an overall team prize to all participants of a week with no posts from the Frog, it might generate more interest   :?

Mr Party pooper.
UBT-mark3346
Active UBT Contributor 15+ yrs

Post by UBT-mark3346 »

Rockinfroggi wrote:Has everyone been PM'ing their suggestions or is there a distinct lack of interest in this from regular forum lurkers?
Google = "Lurkers are a lethal type of demon that stalk the shadowy corners of the world. A single lurker is enough to match a whole party of would-be heroes"

Nothing personal but I hope they stay away :lol:

All the suggestions seemed good to me (although a prize for a logo on each  project will mean quite a few prizes)
UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Post by UBT - Timbo »

Rockinfroggi wrote:Has everyone been PM'ing their suggestions or is there a distinct lack of interest in this from regular forum lurkers?

Maybe if you offered an overall team prize to all participants of a week with no posts from the Frog, it might generate more interest   :?

Mr Party pooper.
Maybe, just maybe, I've covered everything and there's nowt left to add..... 8)

As for a prize - I'll double your offer....and all participiants gets a week without MY posts !!

regards

Tim
Rockinfroggi

Post by Rockinfroggi »

UBT-mark3346 wrote:
Google = "Lurkers are a lethal type of demon that stalk the shadowy corners of the world. A single lurker is enough to match a whole party of would-be heroes"

Nothing personal but I hope they stay away :lol:

All the suggestions seemed good to me (although a prize for a logo on each  project will mean quite a few prizes)

I apologise for my poor command of the English language but I have thus far only had 47 years to master it and have failed dismally  :oops:

As for the prize for a logo on every project, I'm thinking Tim has a ship load of Image that he needs to shift  :wink:

Gary.
UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

UBT Birthday - the CRUNCH is ON

Post by UBT - Timbo »

Hi all,

OK, I hope you're all crunching for your chosen projects and putting in a little bit of overtime, (if you can), so that we might attempt to produce the HIGHEST total amount of Team credit EVER !!

The target is 250,000....both for Friday, today and tomorrow....so, if over the 3 days we can achieve say 750,000 credits, then that would be AWESOME !!!!

It's all up to you now...!

Keep on crunching.

regards

Tim
UBT - Janea

Post by UBT - Janea »

Sadly my PC doesn't do any more than a snail's pace but it's going to be left on 24/7 so I'll at least be contributing a tiny bit to the crunch.
Rockinfroggi

Post by Rockinfroggi »

UBT - Janea wrote:Sadly my PC doesn't do any more than a snail's pace but it's going to be left on 24/7 so I'll at least be contributing a tiny bit to the crunch.
She's obsessed with food, first frogs legs, now snails.

Don't kiss her she stinks of garlic :wink:

Legless Frog
UBT - Janea

Post by UBT - Janea »

Rockinfroggi wrote: She's obsessed with food, first frogs legs, now snails.

Legless Frog
Surely it's me who should be kissing you - not the other way round?  :queen:

Rockinfroggi

Post by Rockinfroggi »

UBT - Janea wrote:
Rockinfroggi wrote: She's obsessed with food, first frogs legs, now snails.

Legless Frog
Surely it's me who should be kissing you - not the other way round?  :queen:

:oops:  Hang on, let me lick that big booga hangin off me nose first :shock:

Snotty nose frog.