WCG Mini-Crunch 25th - 27th May

This section is where you can post topics related to Challenges from other websites, such as Formula-BOINC, SETI-Germany and BOINCstats, as well as project challenges such as from WCG, PrimeGrid et al.

As a Team, we really want to engage as many team members with these challenges, as this gives us a great way of attracting more members to our Team...plus we get to show our strengths as a Team by (hopefully) doing well in each one.

PS: I have moved lots of topics into this section where they are relevant...as you can see, we've always been happy to take part in Challenges...and long may that continue ;-)
UBT - Halifax-lad

WCG Mini-Crunch 25th - 27th May

Post by UBT - Halifax-lad »

I have shut the poll down now for the next crunch, WCG clearly won.

So all we ask of members is to participate when the crunch comes up and process a few WU's during the time allocated

Rather than me write loads about WCG please see this thread

Any questions or comments :?:
UBT-mark3346
Active UBT Contributor 15+ yrs

Post by UBT-mark3346 »

There are 3 projects on offer with WCG, you can run 1, 2 or 3.
I tend to run GC on my slower machines and the other 2 on the faster ones, on that basis my average run times are:
Genome Comparison wu's mostly 1 to 2 hrs some at 3 to 4
FightAIDS@home are just over 4 hours
Human Proteome Folding 2 are mostly 5 hrs upwards

If you prefer shorter wu's Genome is usually your best bet :lol:

Everything you need about the specs to run the projects can be found in the link in HalifaxLads posting above
UBT-mark3346

Post by UBT-mark3346 »

From WCG news an example of the power of the UK Boinc Team

"6 Hour BOINC Outage starting at 1:00 UTC May 24, 2007 [Completed]  

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
We are going to migrate the BOINC database from running on a 4GB two processor system running MySQL 4.1 to a new server with 8GB and 4 processors running MySQL 5.0. In order to do the migration we are going to need to shutdown the BOINC schedulers for about 6 hours starting at about 1:00 UTC."

They had to upgraded to cope with our team crunch :wink:
UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Post by UBT - Timbo »

UBT-mark3346 wrote:From WCG news an example of the power of the UK Boinc Team

"6 Hour BOINC Outage starting at 1:00 UTC May 24, 2007 [Completed] ......
Hi all,

I'll try and find out what came 2nd in the May Crunch poll.....so if WCG continues to have problems providing WUs over the next 2-3 days, then at least there's a fall back project we can concentrate on....

regards,

Tim
Rockinfroggi

Post by Rockinfroggi »

UBT - Timbo wrote:
UBT-mark3346 wrote:From WCG news an example of the power of the UK Boinc Team

"6 Hour BOINC Outage starting at 1:00 UTC May 24, 2007 [Completed] ......
Hi all,

I'll try and find out what came 2nd in the May Crunch poll.....so if WCG continues to have problems providing WUs over the next 2-3 days, then at least there's a fall back project we can concentrate on....

regards,

Tim
I think you will find it was RCN.

Gary.
UBT-mark3346

Post by UBT-mark3346 »

Cannot remember what it was but the objective was completed on Primegrid, Malaria has just reached 500k but ABC needs about 43k for 500 and there is a big threat on RAC over there, so how about ABC if you do not have any WCG.
Rockinfroggi

Post by Rockinfroggi »

I'm happy to crunch whatever needs us the most, so it's just down to some big boss type person to point us in the right direction, assuming his head is clear enough after frequenting his local beer fest :wink: (Belgian beer is not an option)

Gary.
UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Post by UBT - Timbo »

Rockinfroggi wrote:I'm happy to crunch whatever needs us the most, so it's just down to some big boss type person to point us in the right direction, assuming his head is clear enough after frequenting his local beer fest :wink: (Belgian beer is not an option)

Gary.
My head is very clear (now)....wasn't all that "clear" last night though....and I had a very good sleep afterwards.....

Now let me re-count:

My 1st was: City of Cambridge "Hobsons Choice" http://www.cambridge-brewery.co.uk/id2.html
followed by:
Bartrams "Cherry Stout" - http://www.bartramsbrewery.co.uk/beers.html
Goachers "Imperial Crown Stout" http://www.goachers.com/
City of Cambridge "Boathouse" http://www.cambridge-brewery.co.uk/id2.html
and finished with:
Elgoods "Cambridge" http://www.elgoods-brewery.co.uk/MenuScreen.html

Hmmmm.....had to leave it there, as by then it was "chucking out" time (note: NOT chucking UP time")....!

Please note: UBT encourages only sensible drinking practices, and does not recommend alcohol to minors or women who are pregnant.

Apart than acting responsibly yourself (and ensuring others do the same), why not have a nice refreshing pint over the B/H Weekend as reward for all your toil and hardwork???

Now, where we're we.......ah, the Crunch....

If RCN came "2nd" in the poll, then I'm mindful to respect that and suggest you "allow new work" on RCN, assuming WCG has no work....

Of course you can set both WCG and RCN to "allow..." and then whichever project has work available, means, you'll get something to crunch...!

regards,

Tim
UBT-mark3346

Post by UBT-mark3346 »

WCG connecting ok now :lol:
ghosttrain

Post by ghosttrain »

oops nearly forgot (and it's one of my chosen!!)
UBT - PennyQ

Post by UBT - PennyQ »

Ah's a-crunchin' Boss, Ah's a-crunchin' !  The HPF ones seem to be about 15 hours at the moment, so I won't complete that many WUs this weekend if that's all that WCG send me!  :wink:
The impossible we do today; miracles take a little longer

Rockinfroggi

Post by Rockinfroggi »

UBT - PennyQ wrote:Ah's a-crunchin' Boss, Ah's a-crunchin' !  The HPF ones seem to be about 15 hours at the moment, so I won't complete that many WUs this weekend if that's all that WCG send me!  :wink:

Typical woman  :roll:  excuses excuses, and on that note, a certain Mr Timby is looking to get detention as he has been seen to be playing with his ABC's during crunch time.
If this lackadaisical attitude continues I shall have no alternative than to inform his parents and confiscate his primes until the end of term.

Deputy potato head.
ghosttrain

Post by ghosttrain »

Typical woman  :roll:  excuses excuses, and on that note, a certain Mr Timby is looking to get detention as he has been seen to be playing with his ABC's during crunch time.
If this lackadaisical attitude continues I shall have no alternative than to inform his parents and confiscate his primes until the end of term.

Deputy potato head.
Ye gods is nothing sacred.  Playing with his ABC eh? Typical of the younger generation buggrit millenium hand and shrimp. (apologies to Mr Pratchett)
Rockinfroggi

Post by Rockinfroggi »

ghosttrain wrote: Ye gods is nothing sacred.  Playing with his ABC eh? Typical of the younger generation buggrit millenium hand and shrimp. (apologies to Mr Pratchett)

A Terry Pratchett fan huh? I've only sampled about about 3 of his books and many years ago played the Discworld game. I must try a few more I think and give myself a break from my own warped humour.

Rincewind Frog
UBT - Janea

Post by UBT - Janea »

Rockinfroggi wrote:
A Terry Pratchett fan huh? I've only sampled about about 3 of his books and many years ago played the Discworld game. I must try a few more I think and give myself a break from my own warped humour.

Rincewind Frog
Yes you definitely should!  And if there are any other Pratchett fans out there who also like camping, I would recommend www.wadfest.co.uk  We've been a few times now and TP is down to come along again this year.  Last time he came for the evening and stayed all weekend, taking part in all the events and talking to everyone - and we raised around £4K for charity.

But I digress - I'm busy trying to crunch as I write - got 3 more hours on a 15 hour WU - but not getting anything new through as I'm getting failure notices HTTP internal server errors.
ghosttrain

Post by ghosttrain »

Rockinfroggi wrote: A Terry Pratchett fan huh? I've only sampled about about 3 of his books and many years ago played the Discworld game. I must try a few more I think and give myself a break from my own warped humour.

Rincewind Frog
Three? THREE? Now I'm counting in troll so that's one, two, lots, many...wow that's a lot of books.   Apologies to non Pratchett fans who must be wondering what the hell I'm banging on about.
Timby

Post by Timby »

Typical woman  Rolling Eyes  excuses excuses, and on that note, a certain Mr Timby is looking to get detention as he has been seen to be playing with his ABC's during crunch time.
:oops:  I have had a very busy weekend, I did put 1 PC on WCG but as you all know the WU's are quite long so its not produced many results!
Rockinfroggi

Post by Rockinfroggi »

Timby wrote:
Typical woman  Rolling Eyes  excuses excuses, and on that note, a certain Mr Timby is looking to get detention as he has been seen to be playing with his ABC's during crunch time.
:oops:  I have had a very busy weekend, I did put 1 PC on WCG but as you all know the WUs are quite long so its not produced many results!

I'll try to find it within myself to forgive you this once, just don't let it happen again.

Charitable Frog.