Won't Give New Work!

Anything "BOINC" specific can be commented on here...such as Project news and announcements etc. Also: any problems with BOINC or maybe you have found something interesting, tell us about it. Chat about the various 3rd party client applications used for some of the projects such as optimised clients.
UBT - Mikee
Marvin the Dalek

Won't Give New Work!

Post by UBT - Mikee »

Here's one I haven't seen before.

Fired up the laptop for the first time in several weeks. It's been on 24/7 for 3 days now and had 6 projects running. I set the projects so that I should have got lots of work for it by setting 'connect every 5 days'. This used to work fine - but it isn't having it! I'm getting around 5 hours worth which is a pain as it's only connected to the 'network' manually maybe twice a day and runs out of work especially if a WU runs unexpectedly quick which can happen with ABC WUs. I detached all bar 2 projects to give another chance which hasn't helped.

In 'messages' I just had the message 'Message from Server:(Won't finish in time) Computer on 15.4% of time, BOINC on 100% of that, the project gets 50% of that'

I'm assuming that 15.4% has been measured over a longer period than the computer has actually been on. I.E. measurement over 20 days. Computer been on 3 days. (3/20)*100 = 15%

So it seems that it won't get it's full quota until 20 days have elapsed. I blame BOINC 5.8.?? Pain in the butt!  :D
Follow us on Twitter... http://twitter.com/UKBOINCTeam

Image Image

RodEllery

Post by RodEllery »

Are you running the latest client? I seem to remember getting messages similar to this with 5.8.15.  Doesn't seem to happen with 5.8.16 though.
UBT - Mikee
Marvin the Dalek

Post by UBT - Mikee »

RodEllery wrote:Are you running the latest client? I seem to remember getting messages similar to this with 5.8.15.  Doesn't seem to happen with 5.8.16 though.
Thought that was it! I said it was a few weeks since it had been on and it was at 5.8.15. Just upgraded it to 5.8.16 and still getting the same message except it's now at 15.8%.

As we're going away next week and I'll have to switch the laptop off during this time - it looks like it'll have to start all over again when we get back - ho hum!
Follow us on Twitter... http://twitter.com/UKBOINCTeam

Image Image

RodEllery

Post by RodEllery »

You could always revert to 5.4.11 which is still available on the BOINC site though some projects don't recommend still using this.
UBT-mark3346
Active UBT Contributor 15+ yrs

Post by UBT-mark3346 »

While running ABC beta the computers request thousands of seconds work..get 1 wu defer communication for 30 seconds then get another and so on until they have downloaded enough which is not a big problem.....except my fastest machine only starts to download another wu when it has finshed one so there is always a small period of no crunching and it needs a constant connection to keep getting more wu's..settings are the same as all the others the only difference is it is running vista. Strange behaviour?
RodEllery

Post by RodEllery »

That happens here too. I keep a WU with a distant deadline from another project loaded so, in the few seconds between ABC Betas, that gets a bit of work and I'm not wasting potential crunching time.