Food Waste Recycling / other recycling

A section to chat about whatever takes your fancy about the team in general. For queries about the UBT Forum, please post a message here. Likewise, any suggestions for making the forum better...
UBT - Halifax-lad

Food Waste Recycling / other recycling

Post by UBT - Halifax-lad »

Just got this in the post box today

http://www.ukboincteam.info/images/foodwaste1.jpg
http://www.ukboincteam.info/images/foodwaste.jpg

Only done a low quality scan

Anyone else have such a scheme running in their area :?:  It looks promising, hopefully people will use it as its easy enough to do. Hopefully the food caddy for in the kitchen will have some kind of charcoal filter or other device to remove any possible smell
Last edited by UBT - Halifax-lad on Tue May 01, 2007 1:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
smith639

Post by smith639 »

Nope. We recycle (council run) paper, glass & cans. When I asked if they would be adding PTFEs (drinks bottles etc) they said "no such plans".
We're all poor round here anyway, so there is little waste! (especially with greedy gits like me at the trough!)

:roll:

Ron
UBT - Halifax-lad

I know most places will not take plastics as doorstep collection as it costs more money to collect these than anything else, due to plastic been really light weight.

The other side of Calderdale has a great recyle company that collects more or less everything & anything from householders with the exception of food waste. My side is run by the council approved refuse collectors
UBT - The Prof....

Post by UBT - The Prof.... »

Over here we have three bins -  :shock:

one for garden waste

one for plastic, paper, cardboard, metal (food tins, coke tins, clean tinfoil, etc),

third bin for anything that won't go in the other two. Can be a pain sorting it all, but the system seems to work well enough now everyone is used to it.
UBT - Halifax-lad

We don't have wheelie bins as yet, probably will get them at some stage though.

We have a box to put glass in, and a green bag for all the paper, cardboard etc etc, then this Food Waste trial due to start.

I can see our collection for normal waste going to fortnightly if this Food Waste trial is a success, it would stop the council getting any complaints like some of the other parts of the country, no food in the bins then at least the bins can't smell for 2 whole weeks.
Temujin

Post by Temujin »

UBT - The Prof.... wrote:Over here we have three bins -  :shock:

one for garden waste

one for plastic, paper, cardboard, metal (food tins, coke tins, clean tinfoil, etc),

third bin for anything that won't go in the other two. Can be a pain sorting it all, but the system seems to work well enough now everyone is used to it.
Ours is very similar
1, green waste + cardboard
2, plastic, paper, metal, glass
3, anything that doesn't go in 1 or 2

All 3 are wheelie bins, collected on alternate weeks, bins 1 + 2 one week, bin 3 then next.
UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Post by UBT - Timbo »

Hi all,

When I lived in Maidstone, Kent (until Feb 2005), there was ZERO re-cycling, except what ever you took yourself to either a supermarket or the dump.

Moved to Cambridgeshire and it's like a revelation:

We have two wheelie bins:
Green for all paper/cardboard, garden waste etc

Black for non-recyclable waste

And then we have a green box for glass, tins, foil and junk mail.

The fortnightly (alternating) collection scheme works well....and besides we compost our vegetable and fruit waste anyways  8)

And our local council was recently shown to have a very high recycling percentage....

regards

Tim
UBT - Halifax-lad

Got the food waste kit today, no chacoal filters but ffrom looks of it won't be a problem with any kind of smell.

The indoor food caddy is quite small: W-20cm, H-20cm, D-15cm
The outdoor caddy is larger: W-25cm, H-35cm, D-25cm

A long roll of cornstarch bags (smell quite nice) & finally a 7 page booklet on what to do :lol:

When bags run out all you need to do is leave a note saying please can I have some more

Outdoor caddy also locks to stop any wildlife trying to get in & to keep any nasty smells inside

Let the trial begin
UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Post by UBT - Timbo »

UBT - Halifax--lad wrote:Outdoor caddy also locks to stop any wildlife trying to get in & to keep any nasty smells inside....
And to keep any wildlife inside the caddy from getting out  :oops:

regards

Tim
UBT - Halifax-lad

Yes there is that :lol:

Its a good job they made the indoor caddy so small, means people will have to empty it more often so stops a smell building up in the house
Gary

Post by Gary »

the local authority here has started recycling schemes in the last few weeks, we've had a green box for paper for a while and now there's a black box for cans & plastic,  green wheelie bin for garden waste and a black wheelie bin for trash.

4 bins and no where out of sight to put them :evil:
ghosttrain

Post by ghosttrain »

We've been running this system for some time now.  It does work but we don't get the bags for free so I use a pressure washer on it.  The annnoying part is that I have to make a weekly trip to the recycle centre with the plastics.  :cry:
MikeMarsUK
BOINCSynergy team member

Post by MikeMarsUK »

The weekly trip probably burns more CO2 than is saved by recycling the plastics (typically 180 grammes CO2 generated per mile driven), unless you happen to be driving past on your way somewhere else.  If you have somewhere to store them for a longer period that'd help.
UBT - The Prof....

Post by UBT - The Prof.... »

...I have to make a weekly trip to the recycle centre with the plastics.  
I have the same sort of problem. No matter how much we use the recycle facility, the trash bin is always full so have to make at least one trip to the local tip every two weeks. Try to take as much as possible when I do this so as to make it worth while. Sometimes wonder if I make more pollution doing this than is saved by the recycle system.
melter65
Active UBT Contributor

Post by melter65 »

(In a 'Four Yorkshiremen' stylee)

Right, we've got a black bin for general rubbish, a blue bin for paper and cardboard and a green bin for garden rubbish ('No Food Scraps Allowed') so that means we have a box (provided by ourselves) for the glass, and a blackbag for the crushed beer cans, both of which we have to take up to the local recycle, luckily next to ASDA, so take them up when shopping!

And if you tell the young ones of today..........they won't believe you!! :lol:  :lol:
Vic

Recycle unused objects rather than dump them

Post by Vic »

Don't know if this has been mentioned before but have a look at http://www.freecycle.org/ to get rid of stuff cluttering up your shed or cupboards to local people in need. :idea:Image
UBT-mark3346
Active UBT Contributor 15+ yrs

Post by UBT-mark3346 »

You can go direct to the UK site here  http://uk.freecycle.org/