Poll for Mini-crunch 25th - 27th May

This section is where you can post topics related to Challenges from other websites, such as Formula-BOINC, SETI-Germany and BOINCstats, as well as project challenges such as from WCG, PrimeGrid et al.

As a Team, we really want to engage as many team members with these challenges, as this gives us a great way of attracting more members to our Team...plus we get to show our strengths as a Team by (hopefully) doing well in each one.

PS: I have moved lots of topics into this section where they are relevant...as you can see, we've always been happy to take part in Challenges...and long may that continue ;-)
UBT - Halifax-lad

Poll for Mini-crunch 25th - 27th May

Post by UBT - Halifax-lad »

Time for another poll for the next crunch, again the current theme is to do with obtaining number 1 in the UK on the majority of the BOINC projects.

BURP - Still in testing but usually has plenty of work to crunch through. We are currently in 2nd, just over 50,000 credits between us & 1st place, also the team in 3rd position is out producing us and will pass in the next couple of months.

CPDN - Plenty of work, currently in 4th place, only 3 million credits to go until 3rd place :lol: Yes I know the WU's are mega long but a crunch would hopefully bring some new people to the cause, with the hope they would carry on crunching that WU until the bitter end

Einstein@Home - Plenty of work available, we are currently in 3rd position, only 3 million or so credits to go until we move up a place

Predictor@Home - Some issues with WU's not been able to be crunched as requires higher memory, but in the poll just in case anyone with a better computer wishes to have ago - maybe a while until normal computers can actually crunch

Primegrid - Currently in 2nd place, only need approx 61,587 credits to get to 1st place, always plenty of work and now a new server thats speeding along

QMC@Home - just had a very could week long crunch, we are still in 2nd place but only 174,045 credits left to go until the magic 1st place is ours again

RCN - always plenty of work, we are in 2nd place only need approx 84,000 credits until 1st place

World Community Grid - I know they don't allow teams to set up which country they are from, but I'm sure we are no where near the 1st position spot for this as far as UK rank would be concerned. Included this really as it would be good to rise up in the world ranking as we are so poor at this for the moment. We are currently at 103rd position in world stats which is quite bad for us

Xtremlab - Well we all know the battle will continue on this project for a long time to come - only approx 3 million credits to go until number 1 spot

Poll closes in 14 days

If for any reason the project that wins happens to go down or has no work available then the next project to have the highest votes would then be crunched, same goes for if we achieve a 1st place on that project before the crunch starts (with exception of WCG)

anyone got any other suggestions or comments :?:  feel free to post them here or PM me
Last edited by UBT - Halifax-lad on Sat May 12, 2007 4:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.
UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Re: Poll for Mini-crunch 25th - 27th May

Post by UBT - Timbo »

UBT - Halifax--lad wrote:Time for another poll for the next crunch, again the current theme is to do with obtaining number 1 in the UK on the majority of the BOINC projects.
Just a thought:

I think we should simply target the three easiest targets mentioned, which are BURP, PrimeGrid and RCN - I'd also add RALPH as well, as it only needs 14k (and assuming work is available).

Burp needs 50k (current RAC = 300)
Prime needs 62k (RAC = 1100)
RCN needs 84k (RAC = 900)
RALPH needs 14k (RAC = 43 !!)

So, that's a total target of 210k, which isn't that much and we get 4 #1's in the process....!

A fall back project could be QMC (again) as it still needs 166k !!

Members can then pick the one they like the best, and if Mikeejones keeps us on our toes by doing his daily stats bit, then once a target is achieved, crunchers can then switch to 2nd choice projects....

This also assumes that some crunchers start early or finish late....as generating 210k of credit in 3 days is pretty much impossible - the entire team does close to 200k in one day, so a small band of crunchers aren't going to get that close on the Crunch projects :cry:  

regards,

Tim
UBT - Halifax-lad

RALPH has not been added due to it not always having work, I can't guarantee there would be any work for when a crunch comes up, if it was always giving work then it would be easier to add this to the list.

If you wish to alter it all so the easiest targets are done instead, then I have no problem my self, other than the fact that its then not a decision made by the team :?

Other than that I'm happy
UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Post by UBT - Timbo »

UBT - Halifax--lad wrote:RALPH has not been added due to it not always having work, I can't guarantee there would be any work for when a crunch comes up, if it was always giving work then it would be easier to add this to the list.

If you wish to alter it all so the easiest targets are done instead, then I have no problem my self, other than the fact that its then not a decision made by the team :?

Other than that I'm happy
Hi David,

Nope - I'm more than happy to let members decide which suits them and go with the majority....I was just thinking that it's possible, that we might over-achieve if a project was chosen that didn't need many credits to achieve the #1 UK ranking.......so, just thinking out aloud as to what might be another option....

Might also be an idea to edit the bit about BURP, as it really needs PC's with at least 1Gb memory to run properly....

regards,

Tim
UBT - Halifax-lad

UBT - Timbo wrote:Might also be an idea to edit the bit about BURP, as it really needs PC's with at least 1Gb memory to run properly....
depends what work is available, lots of it of late has only needed 256Mb of memory, it all depends on what has been queued up, usually a mixture of higher requirements and also lower ones
Rockinfroggi

Post by Rockinfroggi »

If Timby and a few others can handle the boredom I think we may pretty much have QMC by the next crunch anyway.

Gary.
smith639

Where's RCN?

Post by smith639 »

Hi, can someone provide a link so I can sign up for RCN please?

Ron  8)

Sorry, please ignore this Senior Moment (kicks seeing eye dog)  :oops:
UBT - Halifax-lad

Re: Where's RCN?

smith639 wrote:Hi, can someone provide a link so I can sign up for RCN please?

Ron  8)

Sorry, please ignore this Senior Moment (kicks seeing eye dog)  :oops:
http://dist.ist.tugraz.at/cape5/
smith639

Post by smith639 »

Thanks, my embarrasment is due to the fact that I am already running RCN. Does anybody want a cheap seeing eye dog?, then I can upgrade to a thinking brain gerbil  :oops:  :oops:  :oops:

Ron
UBT - Halifax-lad

smith639 wrote:Thanks, my embarrasment is due to the fact that I am already running RCN. Does anybody want a cheap seeing eye dog?, then I can upgrade to a thinking brain gerbil  :oops:  :oops:  :oops:

Ron
We do have a worn out old frog you can use instead, trouble is its not house trained :lol:
Rockinfroggi

Post by Rockinfroggi »

UBT - Halifax--lad wrote:
smith639 wrote:Thanks, my embarrasment is due to the fact that I am already running RCN. Does anybody want a cheap seeing eye dog?, then I can upgrade to a thinking brain gerbil  :oops:  :oops:  :oops:

Ron
We do have a worn out old frog you can use instead, trouble is its not house trained :lol:

Huh, worn out maybe but I am too house trained, I always do my cr*p in here and never on the carpet :P

It Frog.
UBT - Terry
Active UBT Contributor

Post by UBT - Terry »

I'm happy staying with QMC

Terry
UBT - Halifax-lad

Right so how about if the project crunched gets us the number 1 spot during the mini crunch we then switch to the next project in the poll that came out on top :?:

that way if we do happen to get a number 1 spot, we can at least move available resources to the next needy project, obviously for those who don't or can't participate they just carry on with a project of choice
Rockinfroggi

Post by Rockinfroggi »

UBT - Terry wrote:I'm happy staying with QMC

Terry
Good on you Terry, I'd like to get it sorted as soon as poss so I can have a bit of a break before the next crunch.

Gary.
UBT - Halifax-lad

UBT - Halifax--lad wrote:
UBT - Timbo wrote:Might also be an idea to edit the bit about BURP, as it really needs PC's with at least 1Gb memory to run properly....
depends what work is available, lots of it of late has only needed 256Mb of memory, it all depends on what has been queued up, usually a mixture of higher requirements and also lower ones
Now some work is available again I can show you what the memory requirements are, all you need to do is go here http://burp.boinc.dk/status.php there you can see the current work and also work in the queue thats hasn't been accepted as yet
UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Post by UBT - Timbo »

UBT - Halifax--lad wrote:Now some work is available again I can show you what the memory requirements are, all you need to do is go here http://burp.boinc.dk/status.php there you can see the current work and also work in the queue thats hasn't been accepted as yet
I grabbed a few BURP WUs, but even though they are short duration, they are giving "computation errors"....

ALL previous returned results of these same WUs that I've now got, have all had compute errors, so I'm going to abort them. Can't be bothered crunching dodgy WUs.... :wink:

regards

Tim
UBT - Halifax-lad

UBT - Timbo wrote:ALL previous returned results of these same WUs that I've now got, have all had compute errors, so I'm going to abort them. Can't be bothered crunching dodgy WUs.... :wink:

regards

Tim
No one said it was stable yet, be expecting errors :roll:
UBT - Halifax-lad

Still a few days to get your vote in, if you have not done so already

Currently WCG is winning