How do I add another computer?

Anything "BOINC" specific can be commented on here...such as Project news and announcements etc. Also: any problems with BOINC or maybe you have found something interesting, tell us about it. Chat about the various 3rd party client applications used for some of the projects such as optimised clients.
smith639

How do I add another computer?

Post by smith639 »

How easy is it to add a second computer?
My daughter has a shiny new dual core laptop, which she lets me use during the day, when she is at college.
Could I add it to my account as a second computer, how easy is it?, would I need to visit each project or could I do it via BOINC Manager?

Ron
UBT - Halifax-lad

Post by UBT - Halifax-lad »

Just add the URL of the project, then your username & password to BOINC manager thats all what is needed
UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Re: How do I add another computer?

Post by UBT - Timbo »

smith639 wrote:How easy is it to add a second computer?
My daughter has a shiny new dual core laptop, which she lets me use during the day, when she is at college.
Could I add it to my account as a second computer, how easy is it?, would I need to visit each project or could I do it via BOINC Manager?

Ron
Hi Ron,

It's easy....just use BOINC Manager on HER computer, enter the same URL's as before (dependant on how many projects you want to crunch on HER PC - doesn't even have to be the same number of projects - could even just be one of them) via the "Tools > Attach to project" tab, and use the same username and password that you used on your own machine....

Then all the credits generated by the two machines will sum together....and your daily RAC will increase accordingly....

regards,

Tim
smith639

Post by smith639 »

Thanks, I will add it tomorrow and hope she doesn't notice  :oops:
UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Post by UBT - Timbo »

smith639 wrote:Thanks, I will add it tomorrow and hope she doesn't notice  :oops:
You could install BOINC Manager as a "service" and hence it is then working in the background all the time. If you install on an XP machine, you will need the admin password for this....

Otherwise, she'll have the "B" logo in her system tray...which she just might notice !

regards,

Tim
UBT - JohnR

Post by UBT - JohnR »

Ron
I would not add Boinc to any laptop without the owners knowledge (or to any  PC for that matter)  
The laptop battery may go flat very quickly and she may have overheating problems.
smith639

Post by smith639 »

Thanks John, the overheating was a point I had not considered.
I would not want to ruin her computer, as she would default to using mine again!  :roll:
UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Post by UBT - Timbo »

UBT - JohnR wrote:Ron
I would not add Boinc to any laptop without the owners knowledge (or to any  PC for that matter)  
The laptop battery may go flat very quickly and she may have overheating problems.
Well spotted - I should have thought about that but I had a long day yesterday and hadn't considered the implications if the PC was a laptop. :oops:

Edit: I used the term "latency" here originally and didn't use the term correctly.

Low "useage" would be a better term.....

see here for Low Latency: http://binc.berkeley.edu/low_latency.php

Some projects can have their CPU "priority" set to a different level...I think Einstein allows this - maybe others (Do Ctrl-Alt-Del and in Windows task manager > Process, then right click on the BOINC Project application program "name").

Not sure if this causes problems, so experiment at your peril....!

regards,

Tim
Last edited by UBT - Timbo on Tue May 01, 2007 11:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
UBT-mark3346
Active UBT Contributor 15+ yrs

Post by UBT-mark3346 »

UBT - Timbo wrote:
UBT - JohnR wrote:Ron
Well spotted - I should have thought about that but I had a long day yesterday and hadn't considered the implications if the PC was a laptop. :oops:

Mind you, aren't some of the projects low "latency" and hence don't "push" the CPU too hard?

regards,

Tim
CPDN is generally a no no. Any idea on the "low latency" ones :?: