Help on dual core

A section to chat about whatever takes your fancy about the team in general. For queries about the UBT Forum, please post a message here. Likewise, any suggestions for making the forum better...
UBT - Chris Suddick
Active UBT Contributor 15+ yrs

Help on dual core

Post by UBT - Chris Suddick »

My daughter has just recently swapped her old and decrepit 1GHz rust bucket for a nice new shiny 5.8GHz dual core machine. Now she appears to be achieving about 300 credits/day which seems awfully low to me. It's less than my AMD 2400+. So, I wondered whether you need to do anything in BOINC manager to get it to use both cores. She has 1Gb of memory with about 40% free so I don't see that as a bottleneck.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Chris.
Temujin

Re: Help on dual core

Post by Temujin »

UBT - Chris Suddick wrote:So, I wondered whether you need to do anything in BOINC manager to get it to use both cores.
go to 1 of her projects My Account page and click on General preferences View or edit
then for the venue of that host, click on Edit preferences and set On multiprocessors, use at most to a number >= the number of cores she has in that computer, then click Update Preferences

Then in Boinc Manager update the project concerned

that should sort it

edit
of course, thats assuming it isn't already using both cores.
How many running tasks does boinc manager display?
UBT - Chris Suddick

Boinc manager shows two running tasks so I guess it is using both cores which is a bit disappointing. I'd hoped that would be the problem which would have been easy to resolve.

Chris.
Temujin

Post by Temujin »

UBT - Chris Suddick wrote:Boinc manager shows two running tasks so I guess it is using both cores which is a bit disappointing. I'd hoped that would be the problem which would have been easy to resolve.

Chris.
Hi Chris
can you post the project and hostid of that machine, I'll look and see if I can spot anything.
It should certainly be getting more than 300/day, thats more like my P4 2.5 gets  :shock:

edit
you could do with running thru the general preferences options, check theres nothing in there that could be slowing it, do work while active / only do work between hrs / CPU % etc
UBT - Chris Suddick

John,

Thanks for your continued help here. I'm not sure how to get her hostid etc without contacting her and she's not at home at the moment (she's currently cramming for her finals which start on Tuesday). You might be able to track it from your stats. She is user bmlfsudd running Einstein and Rosetta.

Chris.
UBT-mark3346

Post by UBT-mark3346 »

Einstein is not helping whatever the cores are doing, one wu took nearly 34 hrs but only @ 7.4 credits/hour and the others are not much better. :lol:
UBT - Halifax-lad

Post by UBT - Halifax-lad »

I notice she is using a old version of BOINC, well 5.4.11, its time for her to upgrade to the latest & greatest, 5.8.16 for Windows. The new version is a greater improvement on the version she is running, as for everything else it seems fine, so she really needs to check her settings or you do, if she will give you the password :?:
Temujin

Post by Temujin »

UBT - Chris Suddick wrote:She is user bmlfsudd running Einstein and Rosetta.
I guessed at the username and had a look at both projects but they both only list a P4D 2.8Ghz, both created 26 Sep 2006 which begs the questions
why do you think she had a 1Ghz machine?
and whats happened to the "new shiny 5.8GHz dual core machine"?

edit
for reference, these are the 2 users I've looked at
einstein and rosetta
Rockinfroggi

Post by Rockinfroggi »

Someone wanna tell me what CPU runs at 5.8GHz? Or are you doubling the 2.4GHz of the 2 core duo E6600?

Hang on, I ran out of fingers and toes, even that would only be 4.8

Gary. :?
UBT - Chris Suddick

Sorry, it should have been 5.6GHz which is 2x2.8.

I'm a bit bemused by the September date though. I thought she originally signed up in July last year. The two 2.8 machines should have been registered last week. She's still not answering her phone though so I can't check the details at the moment.

Chris.
Temujin

Post by Temujin »

UBT - Chris Suddick wrote:Sorry, it should have been 5.6GHz which is 2x2.8.

I'm a bit bemused by the September date though. I thought she originally signed up in July last year. The two 2.8 machines should have been registered last week. She's still not answering her phone though so I can't check the details at the moment.

Chris.
Aha, thats a bit clearer
Presumably, she copied everything from the old 1Ghz machine over to the 2.8Ghz machine and continued as normal rather than doing a fresh install.
By doing that, the new machine would assume the identity of the old machine and inherit the old machines start date.

I don't have a P4D 2.8Ghz but do have several P4D D 3.20GHz's running seti with Chickens optimised app.
These all return about 1000/day.
If they were to use the standard app I would guess they would only get 500/day.
What with projects being different in what credit they award and her machine being a tad slower, her 300/day doesn't seem too odd.
UBT-mark3346

Post by UBT-mark3346 »

I have this Intel(R) Pentium(R) D CPU 2.80GHz  (2Gb ram) and get around 1200 total credits per day (on Seti with soup).
Temujin

Post by Temujin »

So, does anyone have an Intel(R) Pentium(R) D CPU 2.80GHz with 1GB running Einstein/Rosetta and can tell us its RAC?

edit
found this one on Rosetta with a RAC of 508, so maybe something is amis.
DJH@GB-Ro

Post by DJH@GB-Ro »

UBT - Chris Suddick wrote:Sorry, it should have been 5.6GHz which is 2x2.8
As a side note, a 2x2.8GHz machine is not running at 5.6GHz, but 2x2.8GHz. I can't be bothered to explain :lol: But it just doesn't work like that  :P