BOINC AMS

Anything "BOINC" specific can be commented on here...such as Project news and announcements etc. Also: any problems with BOINC or maybe you have found something interesting, tell us about it. Chat about the various 3rd party client applications used for some of the projects such as optimised clients.
UBT - Halifax-lad

BOINC AMS

Post by UBT - Halifax-lad »

That stands for BOINC Account Management System....

So what is it :?:

Here's the technical bit AMS

And the numpty version.... An account manager is a web site that facilitates finding and joining BOINC projects.

An AMS is a neat web based page that you can sign up to to control all your computers, this is only for signing up to projects and changing global settings. It doesn't do anything like BOINCview as that is not the point of an AMS.

You simply hook BOINC up to the AMS through the Attach to Account Manager option, enter the URL & Password and its all connected

I have been using one for a long time now and it makes signing up to a project so easy, I simply log into my AMS page, go to a projects page and if there is a new one I want to sign up to I just press the attach button, and hey presto when BOINC connects to the AMS it is issued a command to created an account at that projects, attach me, set the global preferences and download new work.

You can also detach from projects this way and re-attach existing accounts.

BOINC connects to the AMS regularly to ensure it is using the latest settings you have, it can also be forced to connect to the AMS if you don't want to wait for the next automatic connection.

There are currently 2 out there and both are in BETA Testing, one is with a Branded BOINC Client, and the other is a Independent one.

As soon as the one I'm using is ready for more people I will post the link to it, so that anyone interested can use it.
UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Re: BOINC AMS

Post by UBT - Timbo »

UBT - Halifax--lad wrote:That stands for BOINC Account Management System....

And the numpty version.... An account manager is a web site that facilitates finding and joining BOINC projects.

Can it be configured to allow crunchers to join a specific team while you are joining a specific project.

In other words, as soon as you join the project, it auto attaches you to a specific team at the same time.

Anything that makes the process of increasing team numbers must be a good idea....!

regards,

Tim
UBT - Halifax-lad

Re: BOINC AMS

UBT - Timbo wrote:Can it be configured to allow crunchers to join a specific team while you are joining a specific project
It doesn't do it automatically once you have signed up to the project though there is a link which takes you to the team page of the AMS there you can create a team, quit a team or even join a team/change teams.

However not every BOINC project has upgraded to the correct server software so it only works on a limited number of projects.
UBT - Simon

Post by UBT - Simon »

Is it just good for people with a farm or useful for all of us?
UBT - Halifax-lad

It is good for any users

I only have 1 computer and I use it.

I find it useful as when I want to sign up to a project I only have to visit the AMS and press a tick box then update, this creates an account for you at the project as soon as BOINC connects to the AMS, either when you manually force the connection or wait for it to do this automatically.

You can set your resource share from one page for all projects, set your global preferences from there, and also create multiple profiles (once the back end code has been adjusted), currently you can only have Work, School, Home & Default. The AMS can be set to have custom profiles which you will be able to assign to projects (useful for people with loads of computers)

The AMS I am using will take you direct to your stats so you can view how you are doing

You can quit, create, join a team all from the same page

If you have more than one computer you can view a host list which will show you what is running on that computer, what the resource share is and from there you can alter resource shares for each computer.

If you are coming back to a project you was a member of then you select the tick box for that project ask it to find your existing account, from there your back online with that project again.
UBT - Halifax-lad

The AMS from the independent provider should be out shortly, just deciding if it should be released once BOINC 5.4.0 comes out as this adds the best support for AMS, also not all projects are compatible yet with it on the back end stuff (server software)

Hopefully if it goes public it will pressure the other projects into upgrading all the server software to the newest available

The AMS is called BAM (BOINC ACCOUNT MANAGER)

Edit: Should be released Friday PM, stay tuned for the URL to the site
UBT - Halifax-lad

As the New BOINC Client has not come out yet the launch of BAM has been delayed, as this is the only version of BOINC that will support it correctly.

However another neat feature is now been built in, and the BOINC developers are updating the server code for it

New feature will be the ability to update your signature for all projects from the AMS (if the projects upgrade there server code)
UBT - Halifax-lad

It is hoped BOINC 5.4.7 will be the one to come out to the public, if no other errors are found

For now here is a FAQ for BAM.

Shouldn't be long now it all rests on how long it takes for this BOINC client to be pushed out
UBT - Simon

Post by UBT - Simon »

Any news on this yet???
or am i being over optermistic
UBT - Halifax-lad

Got to wait for BOINC to get its new release out 1st the AMS is ready and waiting for BOINC 5.4.x
UBT - Simon

Post by UBT - Simon »

Bah humbug!
UBT - Halifax-lad

Another 200 users allowed in now

BAM, its not fully public as yet just letting more people in to make sure all runs smoothly

Got to have a BOINC 5.4.x client

Edit: If you do go to get one, make sure when you sign up that you use your BONIC user name and e-mail address
UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Post by UBT - Timbo »

UBT - Halifax--lad wrote:It is good for any users

I only have 1 computer and I use it.
David,

I just signed up to BAM tonight.

Tell me something - I have different passwords for each project - but for BAM, there's doesn't seem to be a way of setting these individually, so do you have to use the same password to log-in to BAM and then BAM uses this SAME password to log-in to each project?

In other words, do I need to change all my project passwords to one single password and then use this for BAM as well?

regards,

Tim
Last edited by UBT - Timbo on Wed May 10, 2006 11:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
UBT - Halifax-lad

The whole point of using AMS is to be able to use every project with it and sign up to new projects with it, so yes you have to have the same password for every project and make sure BAM has the same password & e-mail address otherwise BAM is no good for you to use

Edit: BAM is to simplify things so multiple passwords are useless
UBT - Simon

Post by UBT - Simon »

multible passwords god! i can barely remember the ones i use now ;)
UBT - Halifax-lad

UBT - Simon wrote:multible passwords god! i can barely remember the ones i use now ;)
:lol:  :lol:  Well you will like BAM then just set it once and that's all you ever need, also no more going to the projects to update any global settings, also links to your personal stats from BAM interface.

I have been using another AMS recently but its pants compared to BAM
UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Post by UBT - Timbo »

UBT - Halifax--lad wrote:The whole point of using AMS is to be able to use every project with it and sign up to new projects with it, so yes you have to have the same password for every project and make sure BAM has the same password & e-mail address otherwise BAM is no good for you to use

Edit: BAM is to simplify things so multiple passwords are useless
So, I need to set one really sneaky password for everything, cos otherwise, I'm stuffed.

PS  What happens when the BOINC stats people have all these passwords for all these accounts and then someone goes and releases them out into the world. Are these encrypted somewhere so no-one can "do anything" with the various projects - I'd hate to have to start a new team cos something got messed up with BAM....!

regards,

Tim
UBT - Halifax-lad

BAM is secure, Willy isn't daft
UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Post by UBT - Timbo »

UBT - Simon wrote:multible passwords god! i can barely remember the ones i use now ;)
Yup -  I have a different password for everything I'm involved with.

But then again I have a system....and it hasn't failed me yet - in total, I can remember "off the top of my head" usernames and passwords for around 150  "computer-based" accounts I control...!

It's easy really - I used to play a trick on people when I was at school - I'd get people to tell me their phone number and I'd repeat it to them backwards as soon as they stopped talking. (This was using London 9 figure numbers when it was 01 xxx xxxx) - I can still do it today with international numbers of 12, 14, even 16 digits...!

(PS Great way to get a phone number off a girl - see, I have my ways  8) !!)

BUT - if someone came into a room who I'd met 2 months ago, I wouldn't be able to remember their name !!

So, for me, it's numbers rather than names that I'm "good" at....!

regards,

Tim
UBT - Halifax-lad

Also note the AMS attempts to connect to its server every hour to report back to see if there are any changes it needs to action that the user may have made, you can also make an AMS manually connect to the server.
BAM

From today (06/05/06)a script runs that deletes users that did not activate their account within a week and hosts that have not connected to BAM for a month (31 days).

This to keep the database clean and fast.
By host it means the host list in your BAM account, your account wouldn't be removed
Temujin

Post by Temujin »

UBT - Timbo wrote:BUT - if someone came into a room who I'd met 2 months ago, I wouldn't be able to remember their name !!
So, for me, it's numbers rather than names that I'm "good" at....!
me too.
I remember any number I've ever dialed regularly, every phone number I've ever had, all me mates numbers from 20 years ago.
and as for car reg numbers, national insurance, bank accounts........

but names, they're gone in 60 seconds, never mind 2 months
UBT - Mikee
Marvin the Dalek

Post by UBT - Mikee »

I remember any number I've ever dialed regularly, every phone number I've ever had, all me mates numbers from 20 years ago.
and as for car reg numbers, national insurance, bank accounts........

but names, they're gone in 60 seconds, never mind 2 months
Jeez - how do you and Tim do that! I've worked at my current place for over 2 years and I have trouble remembering that - mobile number? No chance!

Comes of relying on mobile phone directories I suppose - no need to remember.
Follow us on Twitter... http://twitter.com/UKBOINCTeam

Image Image

Temujin

Post by Temujin »

UBT - Mikeejones wrote:Comes of relying on mobile phone directories I suppose - no need to remember.
thats quite true, I don't remember my wifes mobile number cos its quickdial 2 on my phone, I've never dialed it.

I decided that its the "tune" of a number that I remember and somehow can get the number from the tune (sort of like keypad tones)
UBT - Halifax-lad

New registrations should now be closed
UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Post by UBT - Timbo »

UBT - Halifax--lad wrote:New registrations should now be closed
But not before I'm in, registered, set-up, tweaked preferences, added hosts and am now waiting to see how it all works !!

And I found a bug along the way !! (which *you* already knew  :shock: )

Now, will it make me a cup of tea?

regards,

Tim
UBT - Halifax-lad

UBT - Timbo wrote:And I found a bug along the way !! (which *you* already knew  :shock: )
Well I like to keep up with BOINC issues helps so that I can have the answers to people enquires then I look really SMART :lol:

Now you have set BAM up and got it running that's all really just leave it there to do nothing, until you wish to detach/attach from a project, change preferences or dare I say it change teams :twisted: !!

Edit: Also don't forget the settings for SMS messages if you wish to buy them and have BOINCstats sent to your phone :lol:
UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Post by UBT - Timbo »

UBT - Halifax--lad wrote:or dare I say it change teams :twisted: !!

Go and wash out your mouth!  :oops:  - cheeky boy  :wink: - as if I would ever leave you !! The natives wouldn't accept it anyways !!

regards,

Tim
UBT - Halifax-lad

Now open for good so get yours whenever you wish to

BAM

Make sure you register it with the same user name, password & email address of all your BOINC projects
UBT - Halifax-lad

Moved out of the Hidden forum now as no longer any need for it to be hidden
UBT - Halifax-lad

Now fully public with all or most bugs now out of the system

This from the latest BOINC News:
The BOINCStats Account Manager (BAM!) is now available for use. BAM! provides 'one-stop shopping' for finding and attaching to BOINC project; see the news item of May 11. Thanks to Willy de Zutter for developing BAM!.
UBT - Halifax-lad

Any one using BAM will see when they log into there account over at BOINCstats that there is a rate project option, this is to rate projects so any new users who come along can see what projects are highly rated by BOINC users.

This is the results page so far.

So go in and vote if you have an account over there.