Backing up data software

Having problems installing that new stick of memory? Found some great software or having issues with something? Or maybe want to chat about your PlayStation, X-Box, Nintendo, Sega, even your old Spectrum 48k....! Or maybe something you want to sell or acquire (computing related of course!). Let us know here...
Gary

Backing up data software

Post by Gary »

I normally back up important stuff to an external hard drive.. manually one folder at a time. ( probably why it doesn't get done very often ) :roll:

Does anyone know of, or can recommend an idiot proof press one button type program and its all done for ya, preferable with scheduling options.

Please, with a cherry on top.

numnut Gary  :lol:
Rockinfroggi

Re: Backing up data software

Post by Rockinfroggi »

Gary wrote:I normally back up important stuff to an external hard drive.. manually one folder at a time. ( probably why it doesn't get done very often ) :roll:

Does anyone know of, or can recommend an idiot proof press one button type program and its all done for ya, preferable with scheduling options.

At the moment I use EMC Retrospect which came with my external hard drive, you can schedule it to do complete back ups or choose what folders, drives to back up, if you do the full back up it then just does incremental back ups after that just backing up anything that has changed.

In the past I've also used Genie soft backup Manager Pro which was pretty good but there are many out there and I'm sure someone will suggest others.

If you are looking for a free back up utility have a look here http://www.techsupportalert.com/more/extended.htm#92 but I'm sure there must be others out there.

Gary.
UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Re: Backing up data software

Post by UBT - Timbo »

Gary wrote:I normally back up important stuff to an external hard drive.. manually one folder at a time. ( probably why it doesn't get done very often ) :roll:

Last months PCPro magazine, came with a round-up of Backup software as well as some "freebies" on the CD/DVD.

And for some reason, I received 2 copies of their December issue and on the DVD came a free full copy of Paragon Drive Backup 8....PM me your postal addy and I'll send it to you....!

regards

Tim
Gary

Post by Gary »

Thankyou chaps, I will take a look at your recommendations.

Gary
Papa

Post by Papa »

I'd recommend allwaySync http://allwaysync.com/

It's good if you have some specific areas you want to synchronise to an external disk but aern't both about your program file (like office and windows ect). It's fairly easy to use and non intrusive.

Best bit is it's free (fully featured) unless you want to pay (in which case it's $19.95 and very worth it).