lost project data ?

Anything "BOINC" specific can be commented on here...such as Project news and announcements etc. Also: any problems with BOINC or maybe you have found something interesting, tell us about it. Chat about the various 3rd party client applications used for some of the projects such as optimised clients.
Gary

lost project data ?

Post by Gary »

Due to problem with my pc I took Timbo's advice and install a shiny new Samsung hdd today, I had most data stored on an external hd, even though I,ve installed the boinc manager and put the backed up data in the appropriate folders the bm isn't showing the projects & wants to attach to projects ?

I lost the application data folder, would there be any boinc data in there ?

Edit. not crunching any projects :cry:
UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Re: lost project data ?

Post by UBT - Timbo »

Gary wrote:Due to problem with my pc I took Timbo's advice and install a shiny new Samsung hdd today, I had most data stored on an external hd, even though I,ve installed the boinc manager and put the backed up data in the appropriate folders the bm isn't showing the projects & wants to attach to projects ?

I lost the application data folder, would there be any boinc data in there ?

Edit. not crunching any projects :cry:
Hi Gary.

Was BOINC running from the external HDD before the problem?

OR did you simply move all the data from the old HDD to the external and then move it all back to the NEW HDD?

Either way, in the BOINC program folder, there should have been a load of XML's, relating to the various projects....those are the files that store your project user ID's and general stats stuff...

Did you put those back manually? Likewise, under the BOINC main folder is the projects folder and the slots folder. Did they get put back in the right place?

I assume you also re-installed BOINC Manager first anyways? If you still have access to the old HDD, you could trying ZIPPING up the entire BOINC project folder and sub-folders and then UNZIPPING this straight into the new BOINC folder on the NEW HDD. This should at least preserve the structure of the BOINC Manage data, assuming nothing got lost.

At the end of the day, IF YOU CAN'T RESTORE IT ALL, it's not too bad a problem apart from any work that was crunched and not yet reported back to the project(s). All you need do is to re-attach to the various projects and start again...your previous crunched WU's are still lodged at the project, so once BOINC Manger has re-synched you'll be back where you were...

regards

Tim
Gary

Post by Gary »

Morning Tim,

Once I got back into the hdd in the pc I got what I could onto the external hd, and then into the boinc folders on the new hdd, after I'd install a new boinc from set-up

Yes there were lots of xml files - about 230 named either statistics, sched reply, master ...., account..,  its quite possible I put them in wrong folders, also I had a boinc folder within the boinc containing 2.32 gb.

I'm not sure what happened with original data on the old hdd as the drive letters had changed.

Pretty sure all relevent data is there.

Gary
Last edited by Gary on Tue Mar 06, 2007 2:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Gary

Post by Gary »

Could be a clue in this mesage....

Boinc Manager - Connection Error

Authorisation failed connecting running client.
Make sure you start this program in the same directory as the client.

Getting a bit late now, take a look later today.
UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Post by UBT - Timbo »

Gary wrote:Morning Tim,

Once I got back into the hdd in the pc I got what I could onto the external hd, and then into the boinc folders on the new hdd, after I'd install a new boinc from set-up

Yes there were lots of xml files - about 230 named either statistics, sched reply, master ...., account..,  its quite possible I put them in wrong folders, also I had a boinc folder within the boinc containing 2.32 gb.

I'm not sure what happened with original data on the old hdd as the drive letters had changed.

Pretty sure all relevent data is there.

Gary

Hi Gary

The "normal" directory structure for BOINC is as follows:

BOINC
  |---------locale
  |---------logs
  |---------projects
  |---------resource
  |---------slots
  |---------skins
  |---------sym

So, there shouldn't be a sub-directory called "BOINC" under the main directory called BOINC.

So, best thing is to check which one is the directory where BOINC has been "installed". On your desktop, there should be a BOINC logo - just right click on it and look at it's "properties"....(if no desktop icon, then do the same to the BOINC link when you click on "Start").

If it says: "C:\Program Files\BOINC\boincmgr.exe" /s
then that's OK.

If it says: "C:\Program Files\BOINC\BOINC\boincmgr.exe" /s
then the program might be getting confused about where all it's files are.

So, just move the directories as per the structure above...

regards,

Tim
Gary

Post by Gary »

Hi Tim,

I have...

Boinc
  Boinc
  Locale
  Projects
  Slots
  Sym

I deleted the skin folder.

The sub Boinc folder comtains all the xml files.

Gary
Gary

Post by Gary »

Totally deleted Boinc & reinstalled from setup and added folders one at a time from backup, pleased to announce normal service has resumed  :D
including all SAP wus.

Mission accomplished  :thumbright:
UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Post by UBT - Timbo »

Gary wrote:Totally deleted Boinc & reinstalled from setup and added folders one at a time from backup, pleased to announce normal service has resumed  :D
including all SAP wus.

Mission accomplished  :thumbright:

:wav: