Projects for Mini Crunch 23rd Feb - 25th Feb

This section is where you can post topics related to Challenges from other websites, such as Formula-BOINC, SETI-Germany and BOINCstats, as well as project challenges such as from WCG, PrimeGrid et al.

As a Team, we really want to engage as many team members with these challenges, as this gives us a great way of attracting more members to our Team...plus we get to show our strengths as a Team by (hopefully) doing well in each one.

PS: I have moved lots of topics into this section where they are relevant...as you can see, we've always been happy to take part in Challenges...and long may that continue ;-)
UBT - Halifax-lad

Projects for Mini Crunch 23rd Feb - 25th Feb

Post by UBT - Halifax-lad »

The projects to be crunched over this coming weekend are to be:

PrimeGrid
Einstein@Home

They both got 6 votes each.

So its over to UBT members to crunch either one of these projects or even both, starting from 23rd Feb. You can start early if you want won't be penalised for it :lol:

Einstein@Home needs 3,672,191 credits to get us to number 2, that will be a hard slog for many months to come

Primegrid needs 148,595.55 credits to number 1, on top of this the team would need to keep up a decent RAC to keep the number 1 spot

In addition PrimeGrid has an option to run any test applications, it would be helpful to switch this on in your profile here, this means if any normal work runs out then at least if the test work is available it will keep BOINC going

Edit: As always this is voluntary so please do not feel pressurised in to participating with this crunch

Edit2: In the unlikely event both projects are down QMC will be the next project to choose from
Last edited by UBT - Halifax-lad on Sun Feb 25, 2007 1:47 pm, edited 3 times in total.
UBT - Chris Suddick
Active UBT Contributor 15+ yrs

Post by UBT - Chris Suddick »

It's worth noting that Einstein is not firing on all cylinders at the moment. It seems to have a bit of a problem with its servers. It's giving and receiving work OK but it is not giving credit properly. My pending count is up to 1900+ at the moment which is 5x my RAC. Most of the workunits have been completed by all in the quorum but they remain pending.

There are many rumbles about this in the Einstein forum and some are complaining of pending counts well over 5K.

Also, given that the last crunch was for Einstein I think a concerted effort for PrimeGrid would be a safer and fairer option.

Chris.
UBT - Terry
Active UBT Contributor

Post by UBT - Terry »

All very well but no work from project Prime grid
UBT - Mikee
Marvin the Dalek

Post by UBT - Mikee »

Ah yes but no but....
2007-02-17 15:01:14 UTC   Suspending Primegen work for the weekend
I am suspending work generation for one of the PrimeGrid applications, primegen, to help clear out assimilation and database cleanup queues. Work for LLR application will be issued as usual. Work generation for primegen will be reenabled in the Sunday evening (Europe time).
To get LLR work during primegen outage, go to PrimeGrid preferences page and enable test applications.
Follow us on Twitter... http://twitter.com/UKBOINCTeam

Image Image

UBT - Halifax-lad

Terry Caney wrote:All very well but no work from project Prime grid
Looks like someone did not read my 1st post correctly :withstupid: :lol:
UBT - Halifax-lad

UBT - Chris Suddick wrote:
Also, given that the last crunch was for Einstein I think a concerted effort for PrimeGrid would be a safer and fairer option.

Chris.
Its up to you what is crunched there are two options available this time around at least.
UBT - Terry
Active UBT Contributor

Post by UBT - Terry »

Yeah sorry had kid screaming at the time

Terry
UBT - bobuk
Active UBT Contributor 10+ yrs

Post by UBT - bobuk »

ime running full steam ahead with prime grid there is plenty of work to do.

"To get LLR work during primegen outage, go to PrimeGrid preferences page and enable test applications."

these wu's seem to be a wee bit faster to complete ....

b. :D
Rockinfroggi

Post by Rockinfroggi »

Although I originally voted for Einstein I think Primgrid make much more sense for this mini crunch so I'm gonna finish my current commitments then put everything on Primgrid, even the washing machine and microwave if I can hook `em up to my network.

Gary.
Timby

Post by Timby »

Okey Dokey Primegrid it is then, will start to run down ABC@home and steam on with PG once they have finished  8)
UBT - The Prof....

Post by UBT - The Prof.... »

Have added prime grid for the duration. 8)
All other projects now set to "no new tasks", first 2 prime grid wu's loaded and ready to roll... :P
UBT - Chris Suddick

Post by UBT - Chris Suddick »

I've just added PrimeGrid and found out that this is another windows only project. So, I'm afraid I'm out of this one.

Chris.
RodEllery

Post by RodEllery »

Just tried to get some PrimeGrid wus but none there, either 'normal' or test. Looks like it may have to be just Einstein this weekend.
UBT - Terry
Active UBT Contributor

Post by UBT - Terry »

Plenty of work @primegrid test wu's
DJH@GB-Ro

Post by DJH@GB-Ro »

Just got 65ish proper (not test) WUs
RodEllery

Post by RodEllery »

Well according to the project page there are about 700 unsent results up there, However it doesnt want to send me any.  :(
  • 20/02/2007 12:00:48|PrimeGrid|Requesting 55279 seconds of new work
    20/02/2007 12:00:53|PrimeGrid|Scheduler RPC succeeded [server version 507]
    20/02/2007 12:00:53|PrimeGrid|Deferring communication for 4 min 25 sec
    20/02/2007 12:00:53|PrimeGrid|Reason: no work from project
Project is also set to allow test WUs. (I also  tried changing this from yes to no but it makes no difference.) Finally I've just tried detaching and re-attaching,  Now getting report back that project is temporarily unavailable.. :evil: ... I'll give it another go later.
Gary

Post by Gary »

Rod, do you have anything else running ? I couldn't download any primegrid wu until I temporary suspended sap.
RodEllery

Post by RodEllery »

Yeah, loads of stuff. I set everything to 'no new tasks', suspended everythingthat was running, but still nothing from Primegrid. Allowed another project to get work and it downloaded ok. Will keep an eye on situation.

I also have noticed a bit of an oddity with Xtreme. I suspended a couple of wus, when playing with PrimeGrid. When all was resumed, the Xtreme WUs were shown as waiting to run (another project was running). However the %complete on these Xtreme WUs went slowly up with no CPU time increase till they reached 100%. These WUs were uploaded and gave (minimal) Credits but had obvoiusly not been processed correctly. I'm beginning to think there may be a few problems with BOINC 5.8.11.
Last edited by RodEllery on Tue Feb 20, 2007 2:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gary

Post by Gary »

RodEllery wrote:. I'm beginning to think there may be a few problems with BOINC 5.8.11.
5.8.11 didn't work for me, had to reinstall 5.8.8 now it stops crunching & hangs occasionally only option is to reset pc.
RodEllery

Post by RodEllery »

I've just reverted to 5.4.11. Still PrimeGrid reports nothing to download, even with all other projects suspended.
  • 20/02/2007 14:31:32|PrimeGrid|Sending scheduler request to http://www.primegrid.com/cgi/index.cgi
    20/02/2007 14:31:32|PrimeGrid|Reason: To fetch work
    20/02/2007 14:31:32|PrimeGrid|Requesting 172800 seconds of new work
    20/02/2007 14:31:38|PrimeGrid|Scheduler request succeeded
    20/02/2007 14:31:38|PrimeGrid|No work from project
    20/02/2007 14:31:38|PrimeGrid|Deferring scheduler requests for 1 minutes and 0 seconds
All other projects seem ok.(I've now got 158hrs of WUs to complete across 12 projects).
UBT-mark3346

Post by UBT-mark3346 »

RodEllery wrote:

I also have noticed a bit of an oddity with Xtreme. I suspended a couple of wus, when playing with PrimeGrid. When all was resumed, the Xtreme WUs were shown as waiting to run (another project was running). However the %complete on these Xtreme WUs went slowly up with no CPU time increase till they reached 100%. These WUs were uploaded and gave (minimal) Credits but had obvoiusly not been processed correctly. I'm beginning to think there may be a few problems with BOINC 5.8.11.
As far as I know Xtreme has always done this, certainly did it on the previous version of Boinc :lol:
UBT - Mikee
Marvin the Dalek

Post by UBT - Mikee »

RodEllery wrote:Yeah, loads of stuff. I set everything to 'no new tasks', suspended everythingthat was running, but still nothing from Primegrid. Allowed another project to get work and it downloaded ok. Will keep an eye on situation.

That's the way Xtreme works.

As for downloading other WUs you can suspend but it takes a while for the manager to realise that there's nothing to do. I think it's supposed to do that in case of something can't think what though. I suggest you suspend everything except one project and primegrid. Once the manager has realised it's running short it'll start downloading them. Also make sure that the 'Connect to network about every...' in preferences is set high enough. Mines set to 2 days.

HTH

Mike
Follow us on Twitter... http://twitter.com/UKBOINCTeam

Image Image

RodEllery

Post by RodEllery »

For now all except Prime and Einstein set to no new tasks. As each project with WUs outstanding finishes said work, am setting to suspend. All Projects with no WUs downloaded also set to suspend.  Just a case of wait and see now.
UBT - Janea

Post by UBT - Janea »

I'm getting PrimeGrid WU's through with no problems but I've not had any Einstein since our last mini crunch.  I've not done anything to it - it appears to be connecting if I press Update.  I've tried shutting down BOINC and restarting but no luck  :(   All my other projects seem to be getting WU's (if there is any available).

I guess I'll just have to see what the rest of the weekend brings.
Alan Pull

Post by Alan Pull »

Jane,

It might help if you temporarily set all other projects to "suspend", and then update Einsein.  Wish you luck.

Alan
UBT - Rick Horn

Post by UBT - Rick Horn »

UBT - Janea wrote:I'm getting PrimeGrid WUs through with no problems but I've not had any Einstein since our last mini crunch.  I've not done anything to it - it appears to be connecting if I press Update.  I've tried shutting down BOINC and restarting but no luck  :(   All my other projects seem to be getting WUs (if there is any available).

I guess I'll just have to see what the rest of the weekend brings.
I`ve had this problem from time to time with Einstein.
Try going to Projects on Boinc Manager, click on Einstein, then click on "reset project".
Hope it works for you.
Rick.
UBT - Janea

Post by UBT - Janea »

Alan Pull wrote:Jane,

It might help if you temporarily set all other projects to "suspend", and then update Einsein.  Wish you luck.

Alan
Thanks Alan  I'd already tried this - and had closed and re-opened BOINC Manager, and also set Einstein to "No new tasks" for a minute or two before changing it back.  

But an hour or so after I left the message I got a WU through from them.  Unfortunately I've started to get the famous "exited with zero status......might have to  reset the task message"  

Gonna leave it until the morning now though and see if it sorts it self out.  Sometimes they do seem to ....

Night all   :cya:
UBT - Halifax-lad

I have set PrimeGrid to no new work, BURP has work available so doing some of that :wink:
UBT - Janea

Post by UBT - Janea »

Thought I might try a little BURP but have been informed that I've not got enough memory.  Well it IS late at night and I've not had much sleep this weekend so my brain is not functioning at full capacity - memory mode has been reduced to enable me to concentrate on typing).

Managed to get a fair few PrimeGrids done but Einstein was a complete waste of time for me.  Tried half a dozen WU's and each one exited with zero status several times after running for hours and I had to reset them.  Normally it's been pretty good for me.   :(

Oh well - I shall do a few Chess units before opening my PC up to all and sundry.

Night all and well done.  (Haven't we got a :yawn: or bed-time smiley - Zebedee?)
UBT - Halifax-lad

Oh well never mind on the BURP front when it gets better you should be able to get work

For now don't forget to vote on the next crunch :wink: