Poll for Mini Crunch 23rd - 25th February 2007

This section is where you can post topics related to Challenges from other websites, such as Formula-BOINC, SETI-Germany and BOINCstats, as well as project challenges such as from WCG, PrimeGrid et al.

As a Team, we really want to engage as many team members with these challenges, as this gives us a great way of attracting more members to our Team...plus we get to show our strengths as a Team by (hopefully) doing well in each one.

PS: I have moved lots of topics into this section where they are relevant...as you can see, we've always been happy to take part in Challenges...and long may that continue ;-)
UBT - Halifax-lad

Poll for Mini Crunch 23rd - 25th February 2007

Post by UBT - Halifax-lad »

The theme of the crunch as usual for this year so far is which projects do we need to work on for a #1 spot.

If by any chance "the Guantlet" happens to come along then the crunch can soon be dropped

Poll open for 7 days

Crunch would be 23rd Feb - 25th Feb

Its quite a small poll this time around due to various different reasons, some of these are listed below. If any one does want a project adding that I have not included, then send me a message and poll can be altered

Projects worth considering:

CPDN is a climate change project, it is included in the poll, plenty of work available. UBT is currently 4th in UK and needs 4.4 million credits to improve this position.

Einstein@home a physics project, plenty of work available, so included in the poll. UBT is currently 3rd placed UK Team and needs 3.6 million to improve.

PrimeGrid a mathmatical project, plenty of work available, UBT is #2 UK Team and needs 140,000 credits for #1

QMC@Home is a Quantum Chemistry project, plenty of work available and now fixed credits, this is included in the poll. UBT is #2 UK Team and needs 555,000 credits to become #1.

RALPH@home is a test project for Rosetta, it has work every now and then. UBT is #2 UK Team and needs 6,200 credits to be come #1

RCN is a mathematical project, plenty of work available, this is included in the poll. UBT is #2 UK Team and needs 180,000 credits to be come #1

Xtremlab is attempting to improve BOINC, lots of work available so this is included in the poll. UBT is #2 UK Team and needs 2.9 million credits to become #1

Projects not included (reason shown):

B.U.R.P a rendering project that doesn't really have work available so this is not included in the poll

BBC CPDN a climate change project that is soon to finish, sometime this year so this is also not included in the poll as there is no way we would get up to the #1 spot

BelgianBeer@home again is really a test project, work is rare so not included in the poll

LHC@home is another physics project but at the moment they are still setting up the servers following a recent server move, so this is not in the poll

Predictor@home is a protein folding project, its currently testing a new version of WU for Linux & Mac no Windows version (also lots of errors), so for this reason its not included in the poll

SETI Astropulse / Beta has not been included as by the time the crunch starts this will already have been conquered
Last edited by UBT - Halifax-lad on Sun Feb 18, 2007 11:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Gary

Post by Gary »

Them cpdn & bbc wu never seem to complete and they are way too long for a mini crunch more suitable for a marathon.
DJH@GB-Ro

Post by DJH@GB-Ro »

Gary wrote:Them cpdn & bbc wu never seem to complete and they are way too long for a mini crunch more suitable for a marathon.
They're fine for a mini crunch for people who already have units in them, just only crunch those units for the time of the mini crunch.
UBT - Terry
Active UBT Contributor

Post by UBT - Terry »

I'll be in for what it's worth on the projects i'm already attached to  :)

Terry
UBT - Halifax-lad

Gary wrote:Them cpdn & bbc wu never seem to complete and they are way too long for a mini crunch more suitable for a marathon.
If/when a CPDN project wins then if people don't want to do a CPDN WU as they have not got one on their system, then I would say just go for the next project down the list of winning projects.

Very similar to what we would do if the winning project went down over the crunch
Rockinfroggi

Post by Rockinfroggi »

I'm happy to go with whatever wins.

Gary.
UBT - Halifax-lad

I went for PrimeGrid reason been I think its the next reasonable target that we can hopefully come close to reaching by doing a mini-crunch, well thats my opinion anyway
UBT - Mikee
Marvin the Dalek

Post by UBT - Mikee »

I went for QMC 'cos I'm a masochist/sadist.

Just wanted to hear the howls of pain with cries of 'oh no not another one that takes forever to do/how long does it take to validate/I don't like this project cos...

Might have to just 'want' then!  :(
Follow us on Twitter... http://twitter.com/UKBOINCTeam

Image Image

Gary

Post by Gary »

UBT - Halifax--lad wrote:I went for PrimeGrid reason been I think its the next reasonable target that we can hopefully come close to reaching by doing a mini-crunch, well thats my opinion anyway
Ditto
MisterH

Post by MisterH »

I went for Einstein 'cos I'm RELATIVELY new and GENERALly speaking I don't know much about the others yet, but eSPECIALly 'cos it is already on my PC.

:lol:  :lol:  :lol:
UBT - Halifax-lad

MisterH wrote:I went for Einstein 'cos I'm RELATIVELY new and GENERALly speaking I don't know much about the others yet, but eSPECIALly 'cos it is already on my PC.

:lol:  :lol:  :lol:
You will soon get to know about all the others :wink:
UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Post by UBT - Timbo »

Hi all,

Personally, considering the goal is to become the #1 UK Team across every project (and given that it'd be nice to achieve that this year), then I'm up for trying to achieve the easiest target and then next time, do the same for the easiest one then....

My reasoning, is that for now, trying to hit a smaller target is easier and secondly, our membership is currently growing rapidly.

Hence for the crunch that follows this one, we'll most likely have more members then and hence we can attack a larger target more easily if we have more members.

And we'll get more members if we're already moving ahead on the easier to achieve targets....

Comprende?

So, before the crunch, I'm going to start concentrating on RALPH as 6,000 odd credits will be done in a trice and isn't worth "wasting" a whole crunch on....

But that then makes PrimeGrid a good target for the Crunch....140,000 to achieve in three days....hmmmm, toughie !!

regards

Tim
Rockinfroggi

Post by Rockinfroggi »

UBT - Timbo wrote:Hi all,

Personally, considering the goal is to become the #1 UK Team across every project (and given that it'd be nice to achieve that this year), then I'm up for trying to achieve the easiest target and then next time, do the same for the easiest one then....

My reasoning, is that for now, trying to hit a smaller target is easier and secondly, our membership is currently growing rapidly.

Hence for the crunch that follows this one, we'll most likely have more members then and hence we can attack a larger target more easily if we have more members.

And we'll get more members if we're already moving ahead on the easier to achieve targets....

Comprende?

So, before the crunch, I'm going to start concentrating on RALPH as 6,000 odd credits will be done in a trice and isn't worth "wasting" a whole crunch on....

But that then makes PrimeGrid a good target for the Crunch....140,000 to achieve in three days....hmmmm, toughie !!

regards

Tim
Well, Einstein and Primegrid are neck and neck in the voting at the mo, so I doubt there will be too many upset peeps, I'd better go brush up on my maths then just in case.

Gary.
UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Post by UBT - Timbo »

Rockinfroggi wrote:Well, Einstein and Primegrid are neck and neck in the voting at the mo, so I doubt there will be too many upset peeps, I'd better go brush up on my maths then just in case.

Gary.
There's nothing wrong with the Einstein project....but any effort we make (over 3 days) will be nothing compared to the 3.6 million credits we need just to take over 2nd UK spot.... and we need 15 million to take 1st place  :shock:

regards

Tim
Rockinfroggi

Post by Rockinfroggi »

UBT - Timbo wrote:
Rockinfroggi wrote:Well, Einstein and Primegrid are neck and neck in the voting at the mo, so I doubt there will be too many upset peeps, I'd better go brush up on my maths then just in case.

Gary.
There's nothing wrong with the Einstein project....but any effort we make (over 3 days) will be nothing compared to the 3.6 million credits we need just to take over 2nd UK spot.... and we need 15 million to take 1st place  :shock:

regards

Tim
I understand your reasoning fully and agree the easiest target is the best idea, after all, if we achieve a position move as opposed to just closing the gap on a project then we can all enjoy that warm fuzzy feeling.  
Or is that just me :oops:

Gary
UBT - Terry
Active UBT Contributor

Post by UBT - Terry »

Nope not just you Gary  :oops:
UBT-mark3346
Active UBT Contributor 15+ yrs

Post by UBT-mark3346 »

Although xtremlab is unlikely to be the winner a word of warning anyway, if you run it on dual core machines every now and then for no apparent reason you end up with just one core crunching.