BBcode for plonkers

A section to chat about whatever takes your fancy about the team in general. For queries about the UBT Forum, please post a message here. Likewise, any suggestions for making the forum better...
Rockinfroggi

BBcode for plonkers

Post by Rockinfroggi »

Are there any threads that explain in simpleton terms using the BBcode as I've only ever dipped my little toe into programming with python.
Or if someone knows of a good site that explains it, I have googled but it's a pain sorting the wheat from the chaff.

Please help me someone before Tim sacks me Image

Gary.
Last edited by Rockinfroggi on Sun Feb 11, 2007 2:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
UBT - Mikee
Marvin the Dalek

Re: BBcode for plonkers

Post by UBT - Mikee »

Rockinfroggi wrote:
Please help me someone before Tim sacks me  :cry:

Gary.
He can't sack you.

You've got to have 2 verbal warnings and a written warning first. As 'The Master' can't get to you face to face he can't give you a verbal warning. So you can carry on and wind him up as much as you like!

I'll do my bit as well by messing up the thread and being totally irrelevent just like now!

Now if someone can point us in the right direction re BBCode that would be grate!

(Spelings and punctuation etc...)
Follow us on Twitter... http://twitter.com/UKBOINCTeam

Image Image

Rockinfroggi

Post by Rockinfroggi »

UBT - Mikeejones wrote:
Rockinfroggi wrote:

Gary.
He can't sack you.

You've got to have 2 verbal warnings and a written warning first. As 'The Master' can't get to you face to face he can't give you a verbal warning. So you can carry on and wind him up as much as you like!

I'll do my bit as well by messing up the thread and being totally irrelevent just like now!

Now if someone can point us in the right direction re BBCode that would be grate!

(Spelings and punctuation etc...)
:sign5: so I iz snot the only igrunt one ear then, phew.

Gary.
UBT - Halifax-lad

Post by UBT - Halifax-lad »

Simple highlight the text you want a bbcode around and select the bbcode button you wish to use

ie

Code: Select all

[b]bold[/b]
is

bold

Always ensure the bbcode is closed and complete

[quote]hello[/quote]
is
hello
UBT - Mikee
Marvin the Dalek

Post by UBT - Mikee »

Well - flobber me dobber!

I never knew that. I've always 'handwritten' before.

Duh!

That will help a lot.
Follow us on Twitter... http://twitter.com/UKBOINCTeam

Image Image

Rockinfroggi

Post by Rockinfroggi »

I worked the bold and quote and url ones out playing in the test area, but have no idea what the code and list do, or how you add an image using the img buttons, what do you use as the code for the image or how is the image converted to code or should I just stop while I'm ahead?

Gary.
Rockinfroggi

Post by Rockinfroggi »

UBT - Mikeejones wrote:Well - flobber me dobber!

I never knew that. I've always 'handwritten' before.

Duh!

That will help a lot.
You go flobber yer own dobber, I'm not touching it  :lol:

Gary.
DJH@GB-Ro

Post by DJH@GB-Ro »

Check this: http://forum.ukboincteam.com/faq.php?mode=bbcode on this site, link in every reply, and has everything you need to know :D
Rockinfroggi

Post by Rockinfroggi »

DJH@GB-Ro wrote:Check this: http://forum.ukboincteam.com/faq.php?mode=bbcode on this site, link in every reply, and has everything you need to know :D

Perfect, that's just what I was looking for DJH thank you for the link. :love4:  :oops:

Gary.
DJH@GB-Ro

Post by DJH@GB-Ro »

Rockinfroggi wrote:Perfect, that's just what I was looking for DJH thank you for the link. :love4:  :oops:
Oh, you!!!! :love5:

:P
Rockinfroggi

Post by Rockinfroggi »

Still having no luck with the image side of things, I even copied and pasted the examples on the link with the following results.

and

As for my own attempts, well, lets not even go there  :oops:

Gary.
Timby

Post by Timby »

Still having no luck with the image side of things, I even copied and pasted the examples on the link with the following results.
What images you trying to post Gary? Is it the animated ones or static type?

Looks like "IMG]http://i58.photobucket.com/albums/g245/ ... inking.gif[/IMG" using code but the image would come from a third party host! The speech marks are square brackets but all you get are two frogs??
Rockinfroggi

Post by Rockinfroggi »

Timby wrote:
What images you trying to post Gary? Is it the animated ones or static type?

Looks like "IMG]http://i58.photobucket.com/albums/g245/ ... inking.gif[/IMG" using code but the image would come from a third party host! The speech marks are square brackets but all you get are two frogs??

Either, I did try a few animated with no luck and the ones in my above post were copied from the page explaining bbcode and were static but the second one wraps it in url to link to the site..

I'm just trying to understand how it works as it would be handy to be able to use the function from time to time as I noticed you always add an animated gif or graphic to your posts.

The links I tried didn't finish with a file extension such as .gif or .jpg, would that be the problem?

Gary..
Last edited by Rockinfroggi on Sat Feb 10, 2007 10:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gary

Post by Gary »

press quote to see the code
Timby

Post by Timby »

Image All I did was have a play in the testing area, I posted a few images to get the hanf of it, then picked a suitable host to upload the images too and awqy we go, the good thing with Photobucket is it does the Bbcode for you so all you do is copy and paste?
Rockinfroggi

Post by Rockinfroggi »

Sounds like that's the easiest option then, but should it not work by copying the image link from any site?

Gary.

BTW, thanks for the tips.
Timby

Post by Timby »

The links I tried didn't finish with a file extension such as .gif or .jpg, would that be the problem?
Probably, what were the file extensions?
Rockinfroggi

Post by Rockinfroggi »

The ones I tried were gifs but the extensions were not shown in the link.

Gary.
Timby

Post by Timby »

but should it not work by copying the image link from any site?
Just copied this image from a telescope review site, so IMHO it should link to any site etc, have a play, code is
img]http://www.scopereviews.com/ap1306b.jpg[/img
Timby

Post by Timby »

can you right click on the image to get the properties and then highlight the URL and paste with the [img] at each end?
Rockinfroggi

Post by Rockinfroggi »

Ahhh, got it sussed, Image

It was the file extension missing. Thanks for the help Timby, you can get back to crunching now  :lol:

Gary.
Timby

Post by Timby »

Good man Gary, always pleased to help, its Image time chap so gotta go.....................
UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Post by UBT - Timbo »

Rockinfroggi wrote:Are there any threads that explain in simpleton terms using the BBcode as I've only ever dipped my little toe into programming with python.
Or if someone knows of a good site that explains it, I have googled but it's a pain sorting the wheat from the chaff.

Gary.
Gary

Forgive me for asking a really silly question....

When you post a reply, haven't you wondered what the little boxes are (above the large white rectangle where you enter text) that say (in order)

B i u Quote Code List List= Img URL

Click on one of these (it will then show a * to the right to show it's been activated), then enter some text and then click on the same box again (to close the bbcode).

That's it.....

So if I click on the B box now

this bit is now in bold until I click the same box again

and then it's not in bold.... 8)

regards

Tim
UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Post by UBT - Timbo »

Rockinfroggi wrote:......Please help me someone before Tim sacks me  :cry:

Gary.
Don't worry - I wouldn't sack a fly....!

(Not that I'm calling you a fly either  :oops: )

regards

Tim
Temujin

Post by Temujin »

I didn't know that  :oops:
I've always typed the text, highlighted it and then clicked the bold button  :?
UBT - Halifax-lad

Temujin wrote:I didn't know that  :oops:
Some reet plonkers in this group :lol:
UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Post by UBT - Timbo »

UBT - Mikeejones wrote:...As 'The Master' can't get to you face to face he can't give you a verbal warning. So you can carry on and wind him up as much as you like!......
'Cept I KNOW where Gary lives as he kindly made a donation to the UBT fund...and paid by PayPal....

So, even now, as we speak............. :wink:

regards,

Tim
UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Post by UBT - Timbo »

Temujin wrote:I didn't know that  :oops:
Yup, that works as well.....

(Note: If you've already typed some text and then want to format it afterwards, sometimes the bbcode is entered at the end of your text and not where the cursor is....

So, if you spy that asterisk within the little box, look a the end of your text as that's probably where the bbcode is (wrongly?) starting from... :roll: )

regards

Tim
Rockinfroggi

Post by Rockinfroggi »

Thanks Tim,

Yes I had seen all the buttons but until now had not tried them. Until DJH@GB-Ro posted the link I had no clue what some were for or how to execute others, but I now see the light.

:notworthy:

Sorry for my ignorance but this is the first forum I've ever frequented and as such this is all new to me.

Gary.
Rockinfroggi

Post by Rockinfroggi »

UBT - Timbo wrote:
UBT - Mikeejones wrote:...As 'The Master' can't get to you face to face he can't give you a verbal warning. So you can carry on and wind him up as much as you like!......
'Cept I KNOW where Gary lives as he kindly made a donation to the UBT fund...and paid by PayPal....

So, even now, as we speak............. :wink:

regards,

Tim

WHAT

I'm outta here Image

Gary.
UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Post by UBT - Timbo »

Rockinfroggi wrote:Thanks Tim,

Yes I had seen all the buttons but until now had not tried them. Until DJH@GB-Ro posted the link I had no clue what some were for or how to execute others, but I now see the light.

:notworthy:

Sorry for my ignorance but this is the first forum I've ever frequented and as such this is all new to me.

Gary.
No worries. We all had to learn from scratch once, and you did the right thing by asking....

Hopefully you're on the right track now...any issues you have, just ask...

regards,

Tim
DJH@GB-Ro

Post by DJH@GB-Ro »

I like [marquee]Text here[/marquee] looks great in sigs :D.

One we have missing which is actually sensible (unlike marquee :lol: ) is [center]bla bla[/center]. Would be quite nice for some of the 'important' posts, like Halifax's team reports.
UBT - Halifax-lad

DJH@GB-Ro wrote:One we have missing which is actually sensible (unlike marquee :lol: ) is [center]bla bla[/center]. Would be quite nice for some of the 'important' posts, like Halifax's team reports.
Its not missing it just does not come with the forum package, its an add-on, theres already that many add-ons that the bbcode ones won't work with this forum.

Thats what I recall from the last time the forum had a load of add-ons put into the code.

Anyway phpbb is slowly heading to-wards a new board so hopefully when the time is right and it officially comes out we will possibly be able to move over to it
DJH@GB-Ro

Post by DJH@GB-Ro »

UBT - Halifax--lad wrote:Its not missing it just does not come with the forum package, its an add-on, theres already that many add-ons that the bbcode ones won't work with this forum.

Thats what I recall from the last time the forum had a load of add-ons put into the code.

Anyway phpbb is slowly heading to-wards a new board so hopefully when the time is right and it officially comes out we will possibly be able to move over to it
Thought there'd be some reason like that  :wink: centre and marquee are hardly important codes anyway, b i img url and quote are the only really needed ones.

I've noticed over time that you know a lot about php boards  8) do you have your own board somewhere or something?
Rockinfroggi

Post by Rockinfroggi »

As I keep making a hash of everything, can someone tell me the best way to edit a quote. I've tried both adding the whole quote and deleting the text I want to remove but leaving the quote front and back and that gave me the over wide problem, and I tried cutting and pasting the relevant section of text and putting it between quotes but that then doesn't tell you whom you are quoting.

My apologies for being the resident plonker.

Name with held due to acute embarrassment.
DJH@GB-Ro

Post by DJH@GB-Ro »

Can you post an example of what you mean?
Rockinfroggi

Post by Rockinfroggi »

Rockinfroggi wrote:
My apologies for being the resident plonker.

Name with held due to acute embarrassment.
DJH@GB-Ro

Post by DJH@GB-Ro »

Does that look overwide to you? It looks perfectly normal here :?
Rockinfroggi

Post by Rockinfroggi »

DJH@GB-Ro wrote:Can you post an example of what you mean?

Gawd, I just edited my own post to show you and it worked.

Guess I should keep taking the meds and go lay down. :oops:  :roll:

Plonker

So I guess thats the right way then, to delete the superfluous text.
Just put me on ignore from now on.  :lol:
Last edited by Rockinfroggi on Fri Feb 16, 2007 4:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Temujin

Post by Temujin »

press the quote button then cut out what you don't want.
but make sure both quotes have a set of square brackets

ie [quote="fred"]all the text you want [/quote]  would give
fred wrote:all the text you want
Rockinfroggi

Post by Rockinfroggi »

Temujin wrote:press the quote button then cut out what you don't want.
but make sure both quotes have a set of square brackets

ie [quote="fred"]all the text you want [/quote]  would give
fred wrote:all the text you want

Thanks John, got it to work at last, I'm now considering posting my achievements on this subject in the Milestone & Congratulations section  :roll:

Gary.