WU Cache?

Anything "BOINC" specific can be commented on here...such as Project news and announcements etc. Also: any problems with BOINC or maybe you have found something interesting, tell us about it. Chat about the various 3rd party client applications used for some of the projects such as optimised clients.
UBT - PiezPiedPy

WU Cache?

Post by UBT - PiezPiedPy »

Anyone know how to fill up my cache of work without suspending a WU and waiting for another to download, then repeating myself till my fingers drop off! :shock:
Temujin

Re: WU Cache?

Post by Temujin »

PiezPiedPy wrote:Anyone know how to fill up my cache of work without suspending a WU and waiting for another to download, then repeating myself till my fingers drop off! :shock:
you should be able to just increase your Connect to network about every setting.
go to Your Account page and click on General preferences View or Edit and you'll see it in there.
Once you've done that, back in BoincManager just highlight your project and press Update
no need to suspend anything
UBT - PiezPiedPy

Ta V.mucho :D

A pint to UBT - Temujin
UBT_Grumpy Old Bloke

Post by UBT_Grumpy Old Bloke »

For the really big projects, CPDN, BBC etc, it might be worth setting them to "no new work" before you do this otherwise you might end up downloading a wu that you won't get to crunch for months.
Temujin

Post by Temujin »

UBT_Grumpy Old Bloke wrote:For the really big projects, CPDN, BBC etc, it might be worth setting them to "no new work" before you do this otherwise you might end up downloading a wu that you won't get to crunch for months.
good point
cos I don't do CPDN, BBC etc I tend to forget things like that
hehe you could end up with 5 years of work :shock:
UBT - PiezPiedPy

BBC seems to be ok(so far!!), and not downloaded any new WU's. But as for the others I now have a decent amount of work cached up. :)
UBT - Halifax-lad

Post by UBT - Halifax-lad »

UBT - Temujin wrote:
UBT_Grumpy Old Bloke wrote:For the really big projects, CPDN, BBC etc, it might be worth setting them to "no new work" before you do this otherwise you might end up downloading a wu that you won't get to crunch for months.
good point
cos I don't do CPDN, BBC etc I tend to forget things like that
hehe you could end up with 5 years of work :shock:
Nah it doesn't do that luckily as when you change your cache size you can only set it for 10 days and as CPDN take more than 10 days BOINC won't get 10 days worth of those WU's it would just ignore them.

I know it works as have done it before when we had the SETI Crunch
UBT_Grumpy Old Bloke

Post by UBT_Grumpy Old Bloke »

UBT - Halifax--lad wrote:Nah it doesn't do that luckily as when you change your cache size you can only set it for 10 days and as CPDN take more than 10 days BOINC won't get 10 days worth of those WU's it would just ignore them.

I know it works as have done it before when we had the SETI Crunch
That's what I thought but when I set my cache to 2 days for the first SETI team crunch it went and downloaded a new CPDN WU even though it would be at least three months before it could start running it. :(
UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Post by UBT - Timbo »

UBT_Grumpy Old Bloke wrote:That's what I thought but when I set my cache to 2 days for the first SETI team crunch it went and downloaded a new CPDN WU even though it would be at least three months before it could start running it. :(

I would suggest that if you have one CPDN WU, that once it's crunching, set the project to no new work and leave it that way until you're about to finish the WU in 9+ months time (or sooner if you have a superfast PC).

Then if you have a dual-core or HT CPU, then one "side" will be doing CPDN almost constantly, and the other one can do other projects.

This worked well for me recently on BBC + others - but then my PC "locked up" one day and I lost the client_xml.file which meant I had to detach and reset each project....!

So, now this PC is just doing short-period WU's until it gets back to "normal".

regards,

Tim