Active Desktop

Anything "BOINC" specific can be commented on here...such as Project news and announcements etc. Also: any problems with BOINC or maybe you have found something interesting, tell us about it. Chat about the various 3rd party client applications used for some of the projects such as optimised clients.
Temujin

Active Desktop

Post by Temujin »

Hi all
This morning I setup Active Desktop on my work PC to display my user stats and the UBT stats on my desktop.
With a 15 minute refresh its never really that much out of date when Dazza updates it at 5 past the hour.
It looks cool :thumbup:

Now, me being a linux guy, I wanted to do the same sort of thing in linux.
Oops, no such thing as Active Desktop in linux, well not my Fedora Core 4 anyway.
So, how do I get it to work I wondered.
1st thing would be to download the 2 images I suppose
wget http://www.ubtforum.icandothis.co.uk/st ... 663a39.png
and

wget http://www.ubtforum.icandothis.co.uk/st ... 663a39.png
will do that for me.

Next I need to combine those with my normal desktop image. Handily, theres a util called composite that works a treat, so
composite -geometry +650+480 5b9257f09ca25cb7e702caa82f663a39.png /usr/share/wallpapers/KDE34.png KDE34-2.png
and
composite -geometry +500+600 UBT-5b9257f09ca25cb7e702caa82f663a39.png KDE34-2.png KDE34-3.png
combines all 3 images into a single new image.
All that lot goes into a script that cron runs.
I can now change my desktop from a single image to a slideshow pointing at the new combined image and set it to refresh every 15 minutes and its done.

If anybody is interested in the script files I've done then gimme a shout.
Or even if you want a HOWTO foreither WinXP or Linux
UBT - Halifax-lad

Post by UBT - Halifax-lad »

i'm fine with MundayWeb's Widget
Temujin

Post by Temujin »

UBT - Halifax--lad wrote:i'm fine with MundayWeb's Widget
oh thats flippin typical aint it :( I thought I'd done something original there, oh well.
MundayWeb's Widget looks good don't it, I like the transparency :thumbup:
mind you, mine looks good too :roll:
UBT - Halifax-lad

Post by UBT - Halifax-lad »

Well I did post to let everyone know about the Widget you must have missed the post
Temujin

Post by Temujin »

UBT - Halifax--lad wrote:Well I did post to let everyone know about the Widget you must have missed the post
yep, i guess I did, I would've used it