Site to check your Phone/Internet Options

Having problems installing that new stick of memory? Found some great software or having issues with something? Or maybe want to chat about your PlayStation, X-Box, Nintendo, Sega, even your old Spectrum 48k....! Or maybe something you want to sell or acquire (computing related of course!). Let us know here...
UBT - JohnR

Site to check your Phone/Internet Options

Post by UBT - JohnR »

I have been told about a site which allows you to check your phone details.
http://www.samknows.com/broadband/index.php
Today it shows the LLU marker on my phone has been removed, so I can now sign up for a new internet provider, yesterday they would not accept my order. :roll:
UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Re: Site to check your Phone/Internet Options

Post by UBT - Timbo »

UBT - JohnR wrote:I have been told about a site which allows you to check your phone details.
http://www.samknows.com/broadband/index.php
This is a great site, esp. as you can check on your local exchange and see what capabilities it has as well as seeing who the LLU operators are.

You can also check if the exchange has been enabled for SDSL or ADSL Max.

AND you can see when the exchange will be upgraded to 21CN...!

regards

Tim
UBT - Halifax-lad

Post by UBT - Halifax-lad »

No good for cable customers :lol:
UBT - Simon

Post by UBT - Simon »

UBT - Halifax--lad wrote:No good for cable customers :lol:
Yeah but who cares about cable ;) you've got only one choice for your area for us ADSL people we get multiple (well except Lincoln seems we get BT or BT)

Simon
UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Post by UBT - Timbo »

UBT - Simon wrote:
UBT - Halifax--lad wrote:No good for cable customers :lol:
Yeah but who cares about cable ;) you've got only one choice for your area for us ADSL people we get multiple (well except Lincoln seems we get BT or BT)

Simon
I REALLY miss my Telewest Blueyonder account (it's not available where I moved to)  :cry:

And with mega transfer speeds (10Mb) and no issues of line length or "noise" on the line, it's a much better "system" for delivering high speed broadband to consumers.

Trying to make a "silk purse out of the sow's ear" that is the PSTN system was always going to be (and still is an issue).

The latest BT engineer to visit me was bemoaning the fact that when there was a "copper shortage" some time back, BT took the decision to use aluminium instead (and hence why some of his call-outs are to people who want ADSL, but can't get it....and never will !)

Why not? Because "ally" has a greater resistance per unit length than copper, so for some people (on links from exchanges that were wired with "ally") are "stuffed" until the cable can be replaced with copper...which BT cannot be bothered/afford to do...!

And just in case you thought cable was "good" - in Hong Kong, the local ADSL is 100Mb...

regards

Tim
UBT - Halifax-lad

Post by UBT - Halifax-lad »

UBT - Timbo wrote:I REALLY miss my Telewest Blueyonder account (it's not available where I moved to)  :cry:
Ahem Ahem its Virgin Media as of today