Network issues.

Having problems installing that new stick of memory? Found some great software or having issues with something? Or maybe want to chat about your PlayStation, X-Box, Nintendo, Sega, even your old Spectrum 48k....! Or maybe something you want to sell or acquire (computing related of course!). Let us know here...
Rockinfroggi

Network issues.

Post by Rockinfroggi »

Is anyone here up to speed with network set-ups?
The last day or so I've been having various problems with my Lan and internet connections.
After checking all my settings a dozen times I finally found that allow incoming echo requests had been unchecked (not by me)?
Also on one system windows firewall had been reactivated again, not by me as I use comodo on that system.
I'm still having some issues like not being able to see one of my systems on the network but that I can live with for now.

All I'd like to know is if anyone can off any clues as to how these settings changed. The only thing that was installed over that time frame was the Dimes agent.

Many thanks in advance

Gary.  :dontknow:
UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Re: Network issues.

Post by UBT - Timbo »

Rockinfroggi wrote:Is anyone here up to speed with network set-ups?
The last day or so I've been having various problems with my Lan and internet connections....:
Hi Gary,

There can be all sorts of reasons why things start going "funny".

On XP, for instance, it might simply be down to the different preferences for different users. Even if you only think you have ONE user (you) there's always a chance that Windoze was having a bad time and set up a new user, which then affects how it interacts with your LAN hardware.

2nd: Had any electrical problems recently? I had a complete power loss on Sunday for 20 minutes at my office - the entire area was "out", including, apparently, the street lights !!

Everything came back on, but I tried to use my PDQ machine yesterday and although it looks OK, it won't process any credit cards - according to the supplier it's probably been "fried"....!

I lost 2 mobo, a mouse and 2 keyboards this way when I had a power-cut back in Kent about 3 years ago....

I'd also check to see if your LAN hardware items are working correctly as well.

Finally, if you've been cleaning recently, check all the LAN connections - you only need a cable to have been pulled out slightly (while hoovering around the place) to upset things...

regards

Tim
Last edited by UBT - Timbo on Wed Feb 07, 2007 3:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rockinfroggi

Post by Rockinfroggi »

Hi Tim,

Thanks for the input, I have checked everything you listed and have not suffered a power outage (sorry to hear about you loses though).

The router is fairly new and cables are the first thing I check with any problem. I was happily surfing yesterday when my connection just went poof followed by my Lan connections but my router indicator lights were all showing ok.

The only other problem I've had is accessing the admin page (192.168.0.1) for my router on my main pc, I can access it via my other systems but just get a blank page on this system.

Rechecking allow incoming echo requests has resolved most of my issues but I'm still clueless as to why that would have changed on all my systems at the same time.

Gary.
UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Post by UBT - Timbo »

Rockinfroggi wrote:....The router is fairly new and cables are the first thing I check with any problem. I was happily surfing yesterday when my connection just went poof followed by my Lan connections but my router indicator lights were all showing ok.
I would always first suspect any new piece of kit. In my line of business (consumer electronics), customers think the old kit is always suspect first before new kit is....and my first question to people is "what have you done to the system?"...people always assume the new kit is perfect and therefore the old kit must be at fault.

But if the old kit has been working perfectly for ages and then goes "poof" shortly after some new kit is introduced, usually it's because the new kit is at issue - it's not because the old kit got jealous !!
Rockinfroggi wrote:The only other problem I've had is accessing the admin page (192.168.0.1) for my router on my main pc, I can access it via my other systems but just get a blank page on this system.
So, this is again the NEW product having an issue...!

Mind you, the router might be caching the pages it serves to the specific IP address your PC is on....any way of either clearing the cache or power-cycling the router (for about 10 minutes) to see if this helps.

Which router did you get?
Rockinfroggi wrote:Rechecking allow incoming echo requests has resolved most of my issues but I'm still clueless as to why that would have changed on all my systems at the same time.
Gary.
Did you "echo requests" before this. Or is this a way of fixing something else that has gone funny....(i.e. 2 wrongs making a right).

regards

Tim
Rockinfroggi

Post by Rockinfroggi »

I appreciate the fact that new kit is not infallible, though when I say new it's about 6 months old and is the Netgear DG834G v3 which at the time had pretty good reviews.

As stated before most things seem to have sorted themselves out since rechecking allow echo which is buried deep in the advanced settings of local connection, and as this was needed with my old D-Link which did die I have kept the settings the same on this one.

Thanks for taking the time offer your help though and as things seem stable at the moment I'll leave well alone and keep fingers crossed.

Gary.
Rockinfroggi

Post by Rockinfroggi »

Still having problems here, had to reboot the router this morning.
I've had no problems before and this all started after installing the Dimes agent so just as a process of elimination I going to shut down dimes for a few days and see if this resolves it.

Also, something keeps activating windows firewall and a few times I've had the message popup your internet connection has been reset by a remote host, kinda starting to feel like I've been infected with something but I've run all my scanners and found nothing.

Gary.