The UBT SETI "Crunchathon"

This section is where you can post topics related to Challenges from other websites, such as Formula-BOINC, SETI-Germany and BOINCstats, as well as project challenges such as from WCG, PrimeGrid et al.

As a Team, we really want to engage as many team members with these challenges, as this gives us a great way of attracting more members to our Team...plus we get to show our strengths as a Team by (hopefully) doing well in each one.

PS: I have moved lots of topics into this section where they are relevant...as you can see, we've always been happy to take part in Challenges...and long may that continue ;-)
UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

The UBT SETI "Crunchathon"

Post by UBT - Timbo »

Hi all,

We've just finished our 2nd Weekend Crunch and it seems that you "lot" have once again generated a goodly quantity of work which has (and is being) validated and credits are continuiing to be awarded as we speak.

So, I'm looking a little bit forward now and I'm thinking:

OK - so, what's a worthwhile challenge to lay down and see what can be achieved.

The most obvious one is to become the No.1 SETI Team in the UK - we're currently 2nd.

We're 3.2 million credits BEHIND the No. 1 UK SETI Team, and we're currently reeling them in at a rate of around 700,000 credits per month.

Which means it'll take about 4 months (at current RAC) to overtake them - sometime in July.

What is the challenge I hear you ask?

By the time we have our Teams 2nd Birthday - it'd be  nice to think we're No. 1 by then - 23rd June for your diaries..!

So, we need to do 4 months credits in THREE months - a 33% increase !

Hence the SETI Cruncathon. Instead of a Weekend - we do a "Week Crunch"!

I would suggest that we make a start on this at midnight on Sunday April 16th and run through until midnight on Sunday 23rd April.

Are you UP for it?

Let me know.

regards,

Tim
Last edited by UBT - Timbo on Mon Apr 17, 2006 5:35 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Temujin

Re: The UBT SETI "Cruncathon"

Post by Temujin »

If this goes ahead we should try and make sure ALL volunteers are using optimised apps and Truxs Boinc Client.
May as well make the best of it if it happens.

In fact, if we could get all our current seti crunchers using optimised apps, I reckon we could push 90k a day on seti alone.
Thats probably unrealistic, theres only 40+ members on here out of 400+ team members but its worth a try.
UBT - Halifax-lad

Post by UBT - Halifax-lad »

I'm in

but remember we may have the Enhanced client by then, (probally won't be here but wonders never cease) if that is the case then the optimised apps will be no good.
UBT - BHCJackie

Post by UBT - BHCJackie »

UBT - AJS wrote:If this goes ahead we should try and make sure ALL volunteers are using optimised apps and Truxs Boinc Client.
May as well make the best of it if it happens.
Will someone please tell me in very simple language (like David's optimised Einstein thread) where and how to get the optimised apps. I've looked at the page on the UBT site but I got lost after the first link. :(
UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Post by UBT - Timbo »

UBT - BHCJackie wrote:Will someone please tell me in very simple language (like David's optimised Einstein thread) where and how to get the optimised apps. I've looked at the page on the UBT site but I got lost after the first link. :(
Hi Jackie,

What PC(s) have you got and which OS?

Soon as we know, we can steer you !!

regards,

Tim
UBT - JsF

Post by UBT - JsF »

UBT - Timbo wrote:Hi all,

Are you UP for it?

Tim
Count me in for the SETI Cruncathon

Jimmy
Francis McDermott
Active UBT Contributor 15+ yrs

Post by Francis McDermott »

I'm up for it too (the Crunchatron that is!) :)

I'll have a poke around for these optimised apps to see what they do. Do they affect other projects or just the ones they are optimsed for?
UBT - Halifax-lad

Francis McDermott wrote:I'm up for it too (the Crunchatron that is!) :)

I'll have a poke around for these optimised apps to see what they do. Do they affect other projects or just the ones they are optimsed for?
It will only affect SETI as it would be a SETI optimised app
UBT - BHCJackie

UBT - Timbo wrote:What PC(s) have you got and which OS?
Soon as we know, we can steer you !!
GertII is a Dell Inspiron 6000 Laptop
GenuineIntel Intel(R) Pentium(R) M processor 1.60GHz
Microsoft Windows XP Professional Edition, Service Pack 2, (05.01.2600.00)

CPU-Z info:
Instructions - MMX, SSE, SSE2
Memory - DDR2-SDRam 512MBytes Dual Channels

If you need owt else let me know.
UBT - Halifax-lad

download here that one will work on your computer see Masters post in the other topics on how to install it
UBT - BHCJackie

UBT - Halifax--lad wrote:download here that one will work on your computer see Masters post in the other topics on how to install it
TY David.
The install is about the same as the Einstein ones isn't it? If so I should be ok. If not I'll be pm'ing you in a panic :)
UBT - Halifax-lad

UBT - BHCJackie wrote:
UBT - Halifax--lad wrote:download here that one will work on your computer see Masters post in the other topics on how to install it
TY David.
The install is about the same as the Einstein ones isn't it? If so I should be ok. If not I'll be pm'ing you in a panic :)
See the optimisation thread the instructions are there its more or less the same yup
UBT - GysmoSan

Post by UBT - GysmoSan »

Im proud of the fact that I cruch for 17 projects and am keen to keep them going, one weekend it fine but as they get longer it seems a distraction from the rest

BUT

At the same time it would be soooo cool to be No.1 for Seti so I intend a compromise. I normally run at 100% on all project but till we hit No.1 I will turn Seti up to at least 300% on each PC, possibly higher.

Martin
Mark L.

Post by Mark L. »

Sorry to be a grump...

But not SETI again? :(

That was the subject of the first crunch. Boring!

Maybe I'm biased against it because it is the only project I don't do.... :)

I know you want to be higher in the SETI rankings, which is fair enough, but its a bit early to be repeating ourselves isn't it?

Also we seem to be concentrating on space type projects (I know that was because Rosetta was a bit shaky)

OK I'll shut up now, can somebody tell me what the backup project is going to be?

I'm all for the crunchathon, just finding the team SETI fixation a bit difficult :?

Sorry.
UBT - Halifax-lad

Backup project is what ever you want it to be, if your not keen on SETI do something else no ones going to force you to run it, unless the heavies have already been sent :!: :?:
UBT - GysmoSan

Post by UBT - GysmoSan »

I can see where Mark is comming from, alas its nice to do a team effort so saying you can do an alternative isn't giving you that nice team feeling.

/me wanders off to check our other project rankings to see if we are close to any others for No.1 :D

Martin
UBT - Halifax-lad

World Community grid is been neglected were at position 214, need some more people joining that one
DJH@GB-Ro

Post by DJH@GB-Ro »

UBT - Mark L. wrote:I'm all for the crunchathon, just finding the team SETI fixation a bit difficult :?

Sorry.
Me too.
UBT - Mikee
Marvin the Dalek

Post by UBT - Mikee »

Never even thought about WCG before - I'm in now but..... It's downloading a Rosetta work unit! Scary on this computer! :D
Follow us on Twitter... http://twitter.com/UKBOINCTeam

Image Image

UBT - Halifax-lad

mikeejones1 wrote:Never even thought about WCG before - I'm in now but..... It's downloading a Rosetta work unit! Scary on this computer! :D
rosetta app is just a science code it works fine on WCG
UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Post by UBT - Timbo »

UBT - Mark L. wrote:Sorry to be a grump... But not SETI again? :(
Hi Mark,

Don't feel "sorry"....! Your view IS important !

The issue here is that I'm trying to generate interest in the whole team (and hopefully increase the membership "en masse").

The idea for the Crunch was NOT "tried and tested" when we did the 1st crunch - so I chose SETI especially because it had the greatest chance of success (mainly due to having more members already joined up to the project).

The 2nd crunch was aimed at the two projects who were "hurt" the most (by having less credits awarded over the 1st weekend) by members who switched projects in order to crunch for SETI the 1st time around.

And I wanted to try and use the momentum from the 1st crunch to maybe get some SETI only members to join up for the other projects for Crunch #2 - and that seems to have worked - more members DID join up with Rosetta and Einstein.

It was just a shame that Rosetta had a problem, which meant it was not going to receive our fullest crunching power....!

So the next issue is "what next"?

We don't really have enough members for most of the other projects, in order to make it "worthwhile" dedicating all our focus on them (at the moment)!:
- Predictor has the most (115) - so they are a good candidate for a crunch
- most of the others have memberships in the "tens" or so (so we really need to wait until the memberships of these teams has risen a bit, in order to put them forward as candidates).
- some projects have little or no work available - so asking all our members to crunch for a project, only to then find the members have nothing to crunch is just being irresponsible...!

The two other projects that have large memberships, are CPDN and BBC CCE - but their WU's are LONG TERM (1 year +) and that's a big commitment for members to take on - especailly, if the WU's downloaded for a Crunch have little or no chance of being completed...!.

And as mentioned, SETI springs to mind because it really WOULD be good to be the No. 1 SETI UK Team....! And they generally have work available and we have plenty of members...

So, given that the suggested date is just over three weeks away, we don't have much time to either:
- "hope" that one of the other projects suddenly gains a hundred or so members,
- "hope" that Rosetta gets a bug-fixed appplication ready in time (but then we did "score" a 200% increase in credits for Rosetta this last weekend even though "officially" Einstein had the "nod").

And I'd really like the team to be No. 1 in UK - (did I mention that before?) - as it would be a "crowning achievement" that would really put us on the map....!

Of course, no-one has to join up with any of the crunches....!

And once the Crunchathon is over, I can assure you that SETI probably won't feature again this year......(unless someone gives me a pretty good excuse !).

I am very sure and very keen that other projects should feature in any of the "Team" activities we try to organise. But we've only had "critical mass" for a couple of months, and I think we're still "feeling our way" with regards to what works and what doesn't.....

But it would be really nice to be No. 1 SETI Team in UK !!!!

I'm sure we will get there - it'd just be nice to do it in time for our Teams 2nd birthday.

(If our birthday was in July, then there's no point doing a SETI Crunchathon, as we have the time to make it easily. But at current rates, we're a month behind, so this was just an idea to help get us over the hump.....!)

So, I understand the issue you've raised and it is valid and I respect it - but I'm thinking that we have the entire summer to generate more team members, who we can then "rope" into the other projects so when the time comes to do a crunch for a particular project, it'll be with a BANG and not a whimper....!

(Sorry to go on).

regards,

Tim
UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Post by UBT - Timbo »

UBT - Halifax--lad wrote:Backup project is what ever you want it to be, if your not keen on SETI do something else no ones going to force you to run it, unless the heavies have already been sent :!: :?:

OK - I'm up for a pint of "heavy" as well if you're buying !!

(just get it sent to my normal address - and don't spill any !!).

regards,

Tim
UBT - JsF

Post by UBT - JsF »

UBT - Timbo wrote:
UBT - Halifax--lad wrote:Backup project is what ever you want it to be, if your not keen on SETI do something else no ones going to force you to run it, unless the heavies have already been sent :!: :?:
OK - I'm up for a pint of "heavy" as well if you're buying !!

regards,

Tim
And don't forget the Masters crisps.
:lol:
Jimmy
UBT - Halifax-lad

UBT - Timbo wrote:We don't really have enough members for most of the other projects, in order to make it "worthwhile" dedicating all our focus on them (at the moment)!:
Do not agree with that statement a project doesn't need to have loads of people on it for us to be able to crunch on it for a weekend or a week, etc

In fact this kind of crunch can always attract members to a particular project
UBT - BHCJackie

UBT - Timbo wrote:OK - I'm up for a pint of "heavy" as well if you're buying !!

Do they allow liquids in PO Boxes? :wink:
DJH@GB-Ro

Post by DJH@GB-Ro »

UBT - Halifax--lad wrote:n fact this kind of crunch can always attract members to a particular project
True! I only had 31 points on Einstein on Friday, but now I can't stop doing only Einstein!
UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Post by UBT - Timbo »

UBT - Halifax--lad wrote:Do not agree with that statement a project doesn't need to have loads of people on it for us to be able to crunch on it for a weekend or a week, etc In fact this kind of crunch can always attract members to a particular project

Hi David,

In a way you're right. And we're still "learning" how members can be attracted to such a "Weekend" if only because of the Team spirit "idea"...

BUT. Don't you think people would join up to projects if they are interested in them anyways - they surely don't need to be "cajoled" into joining a project (that they don't necessarily "believe in"), just because it's part of a Crunch"....!

"UBT - Mark L." is a case in point - he would rather not crunch for SETI -so I'm sure he'll carry on and crunch for his chosen projects.

On the other hand, if we "supppport" a project that already has "good-ish support" then we can make a siginifcant increase in that projects results, as long as they have the work. And by having more members to start with, means that other members will feel "more comfortable" knowing that the project is "genuine" and will benefit from the efforts made by the Team.

OK - so I'll ask one question (to everyone).

If a "Weekend Crunch" was organised in favour of say "Sztaki" - would you involve yourself because it was the Team "choice" even though it only has 27 team members (of which only 18 are "active") or would you rather carry on with your own choice.

regards,

Tim
UBT - Halifax-lad

UBT - Timbo wrote:If a "Weekend Crunch" was organised in favour of say "Sztaki" - would you involve yourself because it was the Team "choice" even though it only has 27 team members (of which only 18 are "active") or would you rather carry on with your own choice.
Answer would be NO the project isn't stable
UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Post by UBT - Timbo »

UBT - BHCJackie wrote:Do they allow liquids in PO Boxes? :wink:
Yup - excepting if it's alcohol, in which case it's drunk before I get to collect it !!

regards,

Tim

(Note for diary - have to keep an eye on this Jackie lass, seems to be "clever"... :wink: )
DJH@GB-Ro

Post by DJH@GB-Ro »

I might do Sztaki (I'm number one in RAC :D) But I think it can be unreliable, I had a few zero credits granted for many hours of work.
UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Post by UBT - Timbo »

UBT - Brabus SLR wrote:
UBT - Halifax--lad wrote:n fact this kind of crunch can always attract members to a particular project
True! I only had 31 points on Einstein on Friday, but now I can't stop doing only Einstein!

But now their server is down ( as is SETI !!).

Oops! Was that me pulling out the mains cable?

regards,

Tim
Temujin

Post by Temujin »

UBT - Timbo wrote: OK - so I'll ask one question (to everyone).

If a "Weekend Crunch" was organised in favour of say "Sztaki" - would you involve yourself because it was the Team "choice" even though it only has 27 team members (of which only 18 are "active") or would you rather carry on with your own choice.

regards,

Tim
My answwer would also be no
I've been lucky so far in that the 2 weekend crunch projects have been in the 4 that I do (or have done up to now more like) and even left it very late for this weekend.
I don't really want to participate in any more projects, I'm quite happy putting all my eggs into seti and I'm sure others feel the same about their own projects.
UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Post by UBT - Timbo »

UBT - Halifax--lad wrote:Answer would be NO the project isn't stable
David,

You're a special case, as you'd join in with every project anyway, but ordinarily, if a particular project was suggested for the Crunch, would you join it and use your own hardware for a specific period of time and to the exclusion of all other projects if it DIDN'T fit in with your own personal likes and favourites

We all have "pet projects" (which is good) and there will be some that people don't like - which is why on balance this team supports all the projects as that way the team can be all things to all people...!

But we do need to generate more members who can help the projects, and as such we need to keep firing on all cylinders to attract people to join the Team.

And one of the best ways is to promote oneself and generate good ideas to keep things moving forwards.

Hence the idea for the "Crunchathon" and our efforts to maximise interest in the team and the projects.

regards,

Tim
UBT - Halifax-lad

Your Theory on the cuncathon is flawed how can you say we need to promote the team and other projects.....
Hence the idea for the "Crunchathon" and our efforts to maximise interest in the team and the projects.
... by having a SETI week :? :? that promotes SETI and nothing else
UBT - BHCJackie

UBT - Timbo wrote:OK - so I'll ask one question (to everyone).
As a newbie to this crunching malarky I have to consider what other Team Members recommend.
I was happy to crunch Rosetta but then I was one of the people who ran into problems. If Rosetta had been the only choice over the weekend I would not have participated in the crunch.

If Team Members say a project is unstable or is not do-able for a crunch weekend for some other reason I have to follow their lead.
If the choice was Sztaki I would not join the crunch.
UBT_Grumpy Old Bloke

Post by UBT_Grumpy Old Bloke »

Priority for me is the biomedical projects. I don't mind crunching for some of the others that have the potential for practical benefit (i.e. not just keeping a grad student off the streets) on a team weekender but I'm not keen to spend a whole week away from my supported ones.
Temujin

Post by Temujin »

UBT_Grumpy Old Bloke wrote:Priority for me is the biomedical projects. I don't mind crunching for some of the others that have the potential for practical benefit (i.e. not just keeping a grad student off the streets) on a team weekender but I'm not keen to spend a whole week away from my supported ones.
And thats a good enough reason.
I think Tims suggestion was well intended but seems to have whipped up some feeling.
Maybe its just to soon to do seti again, maybe a week is too long.

I'm sure that if it goes ahead, some people will take part with the same enthusiasm as the last 2 weekends, some will choose not to.
Each to their own.
UBT - Halifax-lad

If anything I may concentrate on WCG that week, have not done a thing on there for ages now
UBT - JsF

Post by UBT - JsF »

UBT - Timbo wrote:
On the other hand, if we "supppport" a project that already has "good-ish support" then we can make a siginifcant increase in that projects results, as long as they have the work. And by having more members to start with, means that other members will feel "more comfortable" knowing that the project is "genuine" and will benefit from the efforts made by the Team.

OK - so I'll ask one question (to everyone).

regards,

Tim
I agree with Tim,

I was one of those members who join up with Rosetta and Einstein so I could join in on the second crunch, and it made me feel good to be part of the team effort.

Its not a question of “not SETI again”, for some new members it maybe their first time in a team crunch. I did it for the team involvment.

If I have it right it’s the team promotion that is important getting more members involved.
So if being the top SETI UK team, can bring some interest from new members it’s got to be a good thing,

I would crunch "Sztaki" for the "TEAM".

Jimmy
Last edited by UBT - JsF on Mon Mar 27, 2006 11:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Post by UBT - Timbo »

UBT - Halifax--lad wrote:Your Theory on the cuncathon is flawed how can you say we need to promote the team and other projects.....
... by having a SETI week :? :? that promotes SETI and nothing else
Hi David,

In essence, I "thought" that the idea for a BIG PUSH, in order to get to be NO. 1 SETI UK Team (ahead of "Lookers") might be a good enough incentive to warrant doing a "Crunchathon".

Maybe I got it wrong?

Will sleep on it overnight and then reply...!

Am happy to go with the flow - after all, the Team belongs to you lot - I just thought of the name to start with....and the Team is only a team if it has members... otherwise it's just lil' ol me... :cry:

And if the overall impression is that a "Crunchathon" is too much too soon, (or it's the wrong project) then maybe it needs to be thought through better.

But if anyone has a "better" idea to generate more interest, we're in a public forum, so type away !!

regards,

Tim
UBT - Halifax-lad

UBT - Timbo wrote:But if anyone has a "better" idea to generate more interest, we're in a public forum, so type away !!
Stick to once a month week end crunches they are a lot simpler to do as they only take up 2-3 days
UBT - BHCJackie

UBT - Halifax--lad wrote:
UBT - Timbo wrote:But if anyone has a "better" idea to generate more interest, we're in a public forum, so type away !!
Stick to once a month week end crunches they are a lot simpler to do as they only take up 2-3 days
What about a weekly crunch every other month.
Everyone does their normal projects for half the time and a team chosen project for the other half?
AIUI Boinc can be tweaked so a project gets a bigger resource share which would enable this to be done ie the usual projects get 50% between them, the team chosen project gets the other 50%.

Sorry I'm not explaining it very well am I :(
UBT - BHCJackie

UBT - Timbo wrote:(Note for diary - have to keep an eye on this Jackie lass, seems to be "clever"... :wink: )
Yeah, we seem to be on the same wavelength :lol:
UBT - PiezPiedPy

Post by UBT - PiezPiedPy »

Personally I can't be bothered looking for aliens :alien:
but if it's going to help team efforts i'll will sign up to seti and run it along side my other projects for the week :?

Timbo - looks like you want this No.1 Seti thing to pull off. I can see your point though, it would be good to be No.1 8)
UBT - Steve Taylor

Post by UBT - Steve Taylor »

Id be prepared to do Sztaki , Ive done it before without bother

ill throw my tuppenny bit in if thats ok with these two points

1. being seti number 1 could generate extra members in itself i.e people joining us because we are number 1

2. if we do two many of these crunches too quickly they may become devalued by people being tired of them

one more point if im allowed (i know i said only 2)

i think calling ourselves no 1 uk for Seti when not if we overtake lookers as im sure this will happen is abit tenuous . I know strictly speaking we will be but we all know that ocuk is a uk team even though for this one they are international
UBT - GysmoSan

Post by UBT - GysmoSan »

I'm another collecter of projects so I'd crunch for pritty much any including Sztaki but preferably for the weekend...

As for Seti, if those who do cruch for it tune the level up a bit, with our natural growth we may beat it before the birthday without a big cruch. If it does need a last ditch effort then we can do it then which will make the victory even more exciting... Don't you love a cliff hanger :D

Even if its not technically the No.1 UK based team its still the one that shows at the top of the list which has gotta be good for publicity. We do want to keep our image for equal oportunity crunching though so don't brag too much :wink:

Martin
UBT - PiezPiedPy

UBT - GysmoSan wrote:We do want to keep our image for equal oportunity crunching though so don't brag too much :wink:
I Like to see that this team has things politically correct. :salute:
UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Post by UBT - Timbo »

UBT - Timbo wrote:Hence the SETI Cruncathon. Instead of a Weekend - we do a "Week Crunch"!
Hi al,

Having been away for a weekend (working and trying to make a little money!!), the break away from the forum has given me a chance to review the situation with regards to the Crunchathon...and I think I might have come up with a practical solution, which I hope has the greatest appeal to all of the Team.

Previously, I suggested that, between 16th-23rd April, team members were asked to donate 168 hours (which make up a 7 day week) towards the chosen project , which is SETI.

So rather than ask you to donate ALL of these 168 hours, instead (as with other types of "charity marathons") we ask that you donate as many hours as you can, over and above what you would normally contribute.

Some members might do an extra "24 hours", others might do "72 hours" more, and others might contribute the whole "168 hours".

And even if you only do a few hours, it would still be "extra" compared to your normal resource share and as such, any additional contribution would greatly help us to achieve that No. 1 spot sooner.

As mentioned before, it's all VOLUNTARY - no issues or hassles, if you cannot join in.

Hopefully though, this might satisfy some of the comments noted previously.

regards,

Tim
UBT - JsF

Post by UBT - JsF »

I'm with you for the 168. "Team Work"

Jimmy
UBT - Mikee
Marvin the Dalek

Post by UBT - Mikee »

Everytime I get on this comp I'm always twiddling with different projects. 1 in , 2 out and generally shaking them all about. As I'm away for the Easter week I won't be able to! So Friday afternoon, before we go away, I'll be setting this comp to just do Seti and nothing but!

My l'il old laptop won't be able to as it's just too slow and flaky, so it'll be crunching away at HashClash as usual (and as it's not connected to the internet continuously no one will notice!). I'm in!

Image Image

UBT - PiezPiedPy

UBT - James Findlay wrote:I'm with you for the 168. "Team Work"
Same ere, even though I don't like Seti
Temujin

Post by Temujin »

I'm in Image
mind you, seti is pretty much all I do anyway :D
UBT - Halifax-lad

I'm game for it so long as we don't do another of SETI for a while
UBT - GysmoSan

Post by UBT - GysmoSan »

I've upped my current Seti to 500% compared to the other 17 projects at the normal 100% which works out to 22.73% for Seti and will leave it there until we hit No'1 (though I may tweak it up a bit more over that week :drunken:)

Martin
Francis McDermott

I'll attempt the whole week as well - just hope SETI doesn't decide to run out of work then :shock:

(I'll probably leave Einstein working to 1% as a backup as that always seems to have work available)
RodEllery

Post by RodEllery »

Ok, I've just added Seti to the Project list on this machine. Will do the same tonight at home. You should get (if the averages work out) about 52 hours during the Crunchathon. (Plus some more between the start and now)

Oh D**m! Just got a 'overcommitted' message. Be a while before the Seti projects get started.

--
Rod
UBT - Halifax-lad

Best make sure I suspend all my work queues on Friday and work them all down
UBT - Mikee
Marvin the Dalek

Post by UBT - Mikee »

As I won't be here for this week (comps will be on Crunching Seti in my absence) but I need to know what the backup project will be so I can set it to 1% in case. Personally I'd like Rosetta as I couldn't do it last time due to program bugs or anything with a completion time of less than 5 hours.
Last edited by UBT - Mikee on Tue Apr 11, 2006 9:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Image Image

UBT - Halifax-lad

mikeejones1 wrote:As I won't be here for this weeek (comps will be on Crunching Seti in my absence) but I need to know what the backup project will be so I can set it to 1% in case. Personally I'd like Rosetta as I couldn't do it last time due to program bugs or anything with a completion time of less than 5 hours.
Any project you chosee to have as a back up
UBT - Mikee
Marvin the Dalek

Post by UBT - Mikee »

Oh - Okay - seems a bit vague - Rosetta for me then.

Image Image

UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Post by UBT - Timbo »

mikeejones1 wrote:Oh - Okay - seems a bit vague - Rosetta for me then.
Hi Mike,

To be honest, I had been thinking about a "back-up" project to suggest. But given the fact that not everyone feels 100% happy about doing ANOTHER crunch for SETI (despite the good intentions), so I think that the reality is that you should crunch for any other project of your choice as a back-up. (This then saves the issue of the back-up also going belly up, if SETI fails).

Most people will be near to their PC's and hence once you've got a cache of WU's loaded, then for many they can either check it once in a while or just leave it and let it get on with it.

Of course the main things is to ensure that any already downloaded WU's are given a chance to finish - so that no disruption is caused to other crunchers if your WU is not returned within the completion deadline.

Obviously, you should only crunch for Rosetta if you've been able to complete WU's successfully - am not sure if they have fixed their "bug" - and if you have doubts, then try RALPH, as they are working on the new code to solve the bug problems.

regards,

Tim
UBT - Mikee
Marvin the Dalek

Post by UBT - Mikee »

Tried Rosetta a week or so ago and it worked fine. Also got some going now and they're OK as well. So all seems tickity boo!

Image Image

UBT - Halifax-lad

Got my queue more or less down to empty now just runnng CPDN WU's until the crunch time then I will set my cache to 10 days and let SETI connect
UBT - PiezPiedPy

Got my cache full of Seti ready to crunch :wink:
UBT - Mikee
Marvin the Dalek

Post by UBT - Mikee »

Being as we're going away later this morning I've all ready started!

Decided the backup is going to be Hashclash as I reckon UBT - James is gonna overtake while I'm not looking! (I can see them 300 WU's you got waiting to be done! ) :)

BTW - At the risk of stating the obvious, is it supposed to Cruncathon or Chrunchathon?

Image Image

UBT - Halifax-lad

And don't forget whilst you are crunching away to tune into UBT Group Radio
UBT - JsF

Post by UBT - JsF »

mikeejones1 wrote:Decided the backup is going to be Hashclash as I reckon UBT - James is gonna overtake while I'm not looking! (I can see them 300 WU's you got waiting to be done! ) :)
I can't have you worring about being overtaken
so my back up will be BOINCSIMAP.
I would not want to spoil your weekend. enjoy :D

Jimmy
UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Post by UBT - Timbo »

mikeejones1 wrote:BTW - At the risk of stating the obvious, is it supposed to Cruncathon or Chrunchathon?

Hmmmm - wondered why I had a spare "H" left over :oops:

Sorted now - another 50 brownie points for spotting the error!

regards,

Tim
UBT - Halifax-lad

Set my cache to 10 days worth just waiting on 1 WU to complete then I will let BOINC fill up with WU's
UBT - PaulT

Post by UBT - PaulT »

Just increased my cache size from 5 to 8 days.
Francis McDermott

Just a quick question....
SETI Crunchathon Starts Sunday at 11:59pm
The "Crunchathon" date takes place from: midnight Sunday 16th April - midnight Sunday 23rd April 2006
Just wondering which was correct. Should the Forum Important Upcoming Information say Saturday 11:59pm?
Robert Boon

Post by Robert Boon »

I'm now equally confused - does the Crunchathon start at 0000 Sunday or 0000 Monday (24 hour clock).
Darren

Post by Darren »

If you take a look at the calendar it says.....
Sunday at 11:59pm, so I gues Sunday 11:59pm to Sunday at 11:59pm
UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Post by UBT - Timbo »

Robert Boon wrote:I'm now equally confused - does the Crunchathon start at 0000 Sunday or 0000 Monday (24 hour clock).
Hi Robert.

The Crunchathon starts whenever you want it to, but mostly it'll start at/around the midnight between Sunday night and Monday morning - hence why I put on the Forum Calendar the start time as 11:59pm on Sunday so there should be less confusion.

regards,

Tim
UBT - Halifax-lad

Looks like my WU's are lasting 1hr 10mins with my optimised client so I should get through a fair few this week
UBT - PiezPiedPy

The optimized client is a lot faster got my WU's down to 40mins weeeeeee was about 2.5 hrs :)
UBT - Halifax-lad

If anyone has not adjusted there connect to settings and is running SETI for the crunch I would recommend setting it to 2-3 days to take account of any planned/un-planned outages that may pop up this week.

You can always change the setting back once it gets closer to the end of the crunch or when you think you have enough work to last
UBT - PiezPiedPy

Just started my Crunchathon with a full cache at 10:30pm coz i'm off to work :lol:
UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Post by UBT - Timbo »

Hi all,

So, it's time.....to start the Crunchathon.

Good luck everybody and here's hoping that SETI delivers us plenty of WU's which we can crunch to our hearts content.

A "snapshot" of the stats has been taken as of now, so we'll be able to compare how well we've done.

All the best,

Tim
UBT - Halifax-lad

I am having some major problems with SETI, and as such will chose something else to crunch, it is an error I can't fix and have had to report the bug with the Alpha E-mail list it seems my test client has a bug and its confusing the SETI Servers, all my WU's are client error on the servers but were fine on BOINC, have ditched them all now.

so SETI is a no no for me at the moment, think I may do WCG

Edit: Now looks like my problem could be fixed must have been a huge blip in the system somewhere, so I have 15 WCG to get through and then its back to SETI
UBT - Halifax-lad

AS SETI is working for me now have suspended all the WCG WU's as they have a long shelf life, so back to work on SETI I go
UBT - Halifax-lad

Just looked at BOINCstats had no idea how many places we are aiming to jump up by in 1 week

If we pass Lookers/BOINC UK then thats 14 places we will have gone up by
UBT - PiezPiedPy

Gona take us at least 6 weeks before tha appens.

I rekon we will gain 5 places over the week :roll:
UBT - Halifax-lad

Ha I know how you voted now  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:
Darren

Post by Darren »

Well it looks like the 4.5 thousand increase in seti credits per day that we are currently doing will mean cutting nearly 12 days off the pass point.
UBT - PiezPiedPy

UBT - Halifax--lad wrote:Ha I know how you voted now  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

Jahhh  Nicked :evil:
UBT - Halifax-lad

Ohh Bum :mumum:  :banghead:  :violent1:

I'm out of the crunch again more serious errors somewhere unknown, back to WCG WU's I have got stored up, until the probs are figured out
UBT - PiezPiedPy

Poooooo :evil:

No WU's left at Seti and ive emptied my cache :banghead:

turned BBC on instead since it's got a WU
Temujin

Post by Temujin »

UBT - PiezPiedPy wrote:No WU's left at Seti and ive emptied my cache
what sort of cache size do you have?
I have mine set to 5 days, so I hardly ever run out of seti WUs
UBT - PaulT

Post by UBT - PaulT »

UBT - PiezPiedPy wrote:Poooooo :evil:

No WU's left at Seti and ive emptied my cache :banghead:

turned BBC on instead since it's got a WU
Think whatever the problem was has been solved as I have just managed to download about 20 workunits.
UBT - PiezPiedPy

Temujin wrote:
UBT - PiezPiedPy wrote:No WU's left at Seti and ive emptied my cache
what sort of cache size do you have?
I have mine set to 5 days, so I hardly ever run out of seti WUs

3 days,   some WU's have come in since though :roll:
UBT - Halifax-lad

TOP 50!!

According to BOINCstats we are now in the top 50 :!:

:occasion5:
UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Post by UBT - Timbo »

Hi all,

Well, we're now about 4 ½ days into the Crunchathon and I've done some brief "up to now" stats, which if they carried on, over the full 168 hours, then I think we'll be sitting pretty.:

OK - so after 111 hours we have:

SETI - 279,087 credits at a rate of 2,511 per hour (average)

Overall: - 434,960 credits at a rate of 3,913 per hour (average)

Extrapolating this to the full 168 hours worth:

SETI - we should achieve 421,000+ credits for the week

Overall: we should achieve 657,000+ credits for the week
, which is slightly higher than normal.

(Also, this amount of credit is usually more evenly spread amongst all the projects, whereas at present, the Crunchathon is generating more than it's normal percentage share of credits for SETI).

Lastly, as of now, we're just 20,000 credits shy of 9 million credits for SETI....! So, sometime around 11pm tonight we should make this new milestone !

Keep on crunching !

regards,

Tim
Temujin

Post by Temujin »

UBT - Timbo wrote:Extrapolating this to the full 168 hours worth:

SETI - we should achieve 421,000+ credits for the week

Overall: we should achieve 657,000+ credits for the week
, which is slightly higher than normal.
One thing I noticed from the last crunch weekend was that it took 2 whole weeks after the crunch weekend for ALL my einstein WUs to be awarded credit.

so, assuming seti behaves in a similar manner, we should see the seti figures higher for the next 2-3 weeks
UBT - Halifax-lad

With SETI you normally don't have to wait too long for the credits to come through due to the amount of users, thats one benefit of having loads of active participants, but then there is always one who has like 900 WU's stashed away waiting to be crunched that slows the process down :lol:  :lol:

All my WU's have been given credit so far have joined the crunch late now my BOINC client has been sorted
UBT - PiezPiedPy

Most of my WU's done this week have been awarded credit, only a few pending :)
UBT - Halifax-lad

Time for me to shut off the work supply to BOINC and let it crunch what it has got, there are 25 WCG WU's awaiting the SETI work to go
UBT - Mikee
Marvin the Dalek

Post by UBT - Mikee »

Bu**er Bu**er bu**er (that ain't butter BTW!).

Just got back and the modem was flashing at me = no connection! Been disconnected since 17th so ran out of Seti WU's! Computers been doing the backups instead and so I've just uploaded about 50/60 various WU's inc. HashClash/Einstein/Rosetta's and loads of Seti's. Good job I had them as backup's or the computer would have just been sitting here twiddling electronic thumbs! Just checked them and they've ALL had credit granted so that's a bonus.

Image Image

UBT - Halifax-lad

Oh well, at least there was something for it to do
UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Post by UBT - Timbo »

UBT - Timbo wrote:Lastly, as of now, we're just 20,000 credits shy of 9 million credits for SETI....! So, sometime around 11pm tonight we should make this new milestone !

And right on cue - we're at 9,002,341.77 SETI credits - and it's just 11pm (as I predicted).

It is SO COOL being predictable.....!

regards,

Tim

PS Congrats to all for the fine work... WELL DONE EVERYBODY!