UK home computer pioneer honoured

Having problems installing that new stick of memory? Found some great software or having issues with something? Or maybe want to chat about your PlayStation, X-Box, Nintendo, Sega, even your old Spectrum 48k....! Or maybe something you want to sell or acquire (computing related of course!). Let us know here...
UBT - Mikee
Marvin the Dalek

UK home computer pioneer honoured

Post by UBT - Mikee »

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/6217447.stm

Anyone remember (or is old enough) to remember the old BBC2 computer programs in the late 70's/early 80's with this guy? Always plugging the Acorn/BBC computers - Spectrum and Z80's got the briefest of mentions.

They also had a wierd device for downloading computer programs. A little light receiver you placed on the TV screen - when downloading, a small 1" square section on the TV flashed rapidly and was received by the receiver. Never found out if it actually worked though!
Follow us on Twitter... http://twitter.com/UKBOINCTeam

Image Image

Jeffers
Active UBT Contributor 15+ yrs

Post by Jeffers »

I remember the programmes, but not the download system.
I had a much loved BBC Micro model B for a number of years.
Looking back it was quite amazing what those machines could acheive with only 32k (yes, kilobytes!) of memory.
The game that I spent most time on was the original Elite where, after countless hours on the quirky little analogue joystick, I finally got to the rank of Elite. Ah, happy days...... :)

Sorry, just had an acute attack of nostalgia! LOL.
UBT - Simon

Post by UBT - Simon »

I had a BBC as well :D It was my first ever computer.  I got it cos the college my mum worked at was moving over to Applemacs and she picked it up for next to nothing. Shame most of the games on it was 'educational' but at least I got a good score on 'Grannys Garden' oops did i say that ach well but i did have elite but no joystick :( so it was very anoying to play with the direction keys.