Multiple Hosts

Anything "BOINC" specific can be commented on here...such as Project news and announcements etc. Also: any problems with BOINC or maybe you have found something interesting, tell us about it. Chat about the various 3rd party client applications used for some of the projects such as optimised clients.
UBT - BHCJackie

Multiple Hosts

Post by UBT - BHCJackie »

Just wondering why this happens :confused5:
Am I doing something to encourage it or is it one of those things?
UBT - Mikee
Marvin the Dalek

Post by UBT - Mikee »

Something happened between 18th March and 22nd! 1 Computers last result was 18th then a second came in on the 22nd. Both computers have the same details.

I had the same probs but this was due to upgrades. Anything will do this, motherboard, hard drive, I think even if you change memory it will show up as a different computer.

If it is the same computer and you want stats to show just the 1 then you can merge the computer(s)/results. The way I did it was to go to a project site, 'your account', 'view results', click on a 'credit granted' 'work unit ID link'.

Then, in the computer column, there will be a list of 3/4/5 clickable links. You have to find which is yours (click on each - the top line will then show the owner). When you think you've found yours, go to the bottom of the page where's there's a link saying 'merge this computer'. Select 'all' then 'merge'.

Easy! :)

I also think you have to go through the whole routine for each project.

That's the way I did it but if there's an easier way I'm sure someone will say!

HTH
Follow us on Twitter... http://twitter.com/UKBOINCTeam

Image Image

UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Re: Multiple Hosts

Post by UBT - Timbo »

UBT - BHCJackie wrote:Just wondering why this happens :confused5:

Things can get "out of synce" for all sorts of reasons.

Normally it's not a problem, but as a house-keeping chore, it something to look into every few months.

Depends on what might have caused it - sometimes, the project changes it other times, it might be something you do (change details, hardware etc).

In the early days of BOINC, I had Win98SE OS on my main PC (P4/3GHz) machine and it crunched pretty well.

Then I upgraded to Win XP Pro in order to crunch two WU's at once (i.e. to "enable" the HT on the CPU)

Guess what - I can't merge that machine with this because each of these two OS's recognises the speed of this same PC differently.....so they will be forever different machines on my stats....but nothing else changed - just the OS and hence I have this same machine listed twice...!

Oh well - at least all the stats total up OK anyways.

regards,

Tim
UBT - Halifax-lad

Re: Multiple Hosts

Post by UBT - Halifax-lad »

UBT - BHCJackie wrote:Just wondering why this happens :confused5:
You have not said what project or projects it is happening on is it one of then or all of them :?:

If its all it will be because you have recently upgraded BOINC clients and that will more than likely be the reason for it, unless you have been reseting the project or joining back upto it again.

Anyway its not a problem just merge all the hosts the facility is there to do it