Climate Predication - Phase 2 Collapse

Anything "BOINC" specific can be commented on here...such as Project news and announcements etc. Also: any problems with BOINC or maybe you have found something interesting, tell us about it. Chat about the various 3rd party client applications used for some of the projects such as optimised clients.
UBT - John

Climate Predication - Phase 2 Collapse

Post by UBT - John »

Just back form three very hot weeks in Australia - made the usual indent to the supplies of Carlton Cold. Swicthed on the computer to find that my Climate Predication model was AWOL - late in phase two - again! This is the second time this has happened  - again after a long haul trip -  and a lot of computer time has been wasted.
Any idea why this happens and is it recoverable from my Programme Files?
Meanwhile the computer has downloaded a new model and is happily chewing away to the exclusion of the other three projects.
MikeMarsUK
BOINCSynergy team member

Post by MikeMarsUK »

There are a list of FAQ items and so forth in the following location:

http://www.climateprediction.net/board/ ... m.php?f=36

If you provide a link to the result on the website I can have a look at it and try to make some suggestions.  

But one suggestion I can make without looking at anything is it's well worth keeping a backup of Boinc when you're running the climate project.  There are several different ways to do this in one of the READMEs above.  It takes about 5 minutes in total, and if a crash happens you can go back and restore the backup.  I do it weekly, but some people do it daily.

When you say 'late in phase 2', does that mean you were running a 5-phase Sulphur model?  The coupled models always stay in phase 1 (although they do have hindcast/forecast sections, 1920-2000 + 2000-2080).
UBT - John

Post by UBT - John »

Mike,

The previous models were the 1 to 5 phase models that take the best part of 4000hrs to complete and I've lost them after about a 1000hrs. On each occasion it was after a boot up of the computer following a long haul trip.

Thanks for the advice - I'll follow the link and do a backup.  

Sorry for the late reply but I've been away...

Cheers,

John.
MikeMarsUK
BOINCSynergy team member

Post by MikeMarsUK »

The current models (coupled model) take perhaps 2.3x the time of the sulphur model, the coupled models were released late Febuary '06.