A Question on Optimised Clients

Anything "BOINC" specific can be commented on here...such as Project news and announcements etc. Also: any problems with BOINC or maybe you have found something interesting, tell us about it. Chat about the various 3rd party client applications used for some of the projects such as optimised clients.
UBT - Steve Taylor

A Question on Optimised Clients

Post by UBT - Steve Taylor »

I don't have any and was wondering are there any advantages from a UBT point of view i.e credits

I totally understand if a wu finishes twice as fast then the science benefits from more results

Am I right in thinking that credits are granted on time taken per wu therefore one that used to take 4 hours and now takes 2 will be granted half the credit
Temujin

Re: A Question on Optimised Clients

Post by Temujin »

UBT - Steve Taylor wrote:Am I right in thinking that credits are granted on time taken per wu therefore one that used to take 4 hours and now takes 2 will be granted half the credit
Err...yes and no
[edit 2] i'm talking seti here [/edit]
if you just go for an optimised seti application (Crunch3rs for eaxmple) you'll tend to claim a reduced credit based on the amount of time taken.
But, if you also use Truxs calibrating boinc client you'll claim credit based on the amount of work done and claim a more "normal" credit.

With both Truxs calibrating boinc client and crunch3rs optimised seti application you should easily expect to double or treble your RAC

[edit 3] Of course, what you claim isn't what you'll be awarded, if everybody else claims a lower credit, you'll be awarded lower

[edit 1]
for pressing submit rather than preview

too many damned edits :oops:
Last edited by Temujin on Sat Mar 25, 2006 2:15 pm, edited 3 times in total.
DJH@GB-Ro

Post by DJH@GB-Ro »

I think you could be right (claimed credits anyway)

Look at these below on my computer:
(CPU time (sec), - claimed credit - granted credit)

With the S39L:
7,501.39 - 20.79 - 43.34

With the A36:
14,436.06 - 40.00 - 40.00
15,406.16 - 42.69 - 42.69

With no optimisation:
20,605.47 - 57.10 - pending
Temujin

Post by Temujin »

totally Off-topic but how does a Brabus SLR compare to a Mclaren SLR?
UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Post by UBT - Timbo »

UBT - AJS wrote:too many damned edits :oops:
John,

Do one more edit - change your sig to include this instead of BOINCstats:

http://ubtforum.icandothis.co.uk/stats/ ... 663a39.png

Much nicer :D

regards,

Tim
DJH@GB-Ro

Post by DJH@GB-Ro »

UBT - AJS wrote:totally Off-topic but how does a Brabus SLR compare to a Mclaren SLR?
Well not much apart from appearance actually
http://www.brabus-online.de/prog21e.htm

Most of the performance modifications are not road legal and are for a racing version. Brabus do some serious performance improvements to other Mercedes' http://www.brabus.com/homee.htm but the SLR is so damn fast anyway there isn't that much done
Temujin

Post by Temujin »

UBT - Brabus SLR wrote:Well not much apart from appearance actually
http://www.brabus-online.de/prog21e.htm
oh right, so its sort of a Brabus Mclaren Mercedes SLR rather than a Brabus Mercedes SLR?
The Mclaren SLR is the 1st thing on my shopping list when I win the lottery :D
Temujin

Post by Temujin »

UBT - Timbo wrote:Do one more edit - change your sig to include this instead of BOINCstats:
I'm having a play with it right now :thumbup:
Temujin

Post by Temujin »

UBT - AJS wrote:
UBT - Timbo wrote:Do one more edit - change your sig to include this instead of BOINCstats:
I'm having a play with it right now :thumbup:
Ok, I'm done :D
DJH@GB-Ro

Post by DJH@GB-Ro »

UBT - AJS wrote:oh right, so its sort of a Brabus Mclaren Mercedes SLR rather than a Brabus Mercedes SLR?
The Mclaren SLR is the 1st thing on my shopping list when I win the lottery :D
Yes, Brabus is just the name of the tuning company, a bit like Aplina BMWs.

And wise choice! 8) The main reason I like it so much is because of the noise that engine makes!
Temujin

Post by Temujin »

Off topic AGAIN!!
How did you change you username?
I fancy changing to my seti/classic username but can't see anything in Profile to let me change it, whats the secret?
DJH@GB-Ro

Post by DJH@GB-Ro »

I sent a pm to Dazza and asked him to do it for me :wink: after having changed my name in all my Boinc projects
Temujin

Post by Temujin »

ta
Robert Boon

Post by Robert Boon »

[Enters dim mode]

Can anyone explain to me the difference between an optimised client and an optimised project application.

[Exits dim mode]
UBT - Halifax-lad

Post by UBT - Halifax-lad »

Robert Boon wrote:[Enters dim mode]

Can anyone explain to me the difference between an optimised client and an optimised project application.

[Exits dim mode]
A optimised client is tweaked to run faster than the normal app, in SETI's case the code for graphics has been removed which speeds up the process loads
Temujin

Post by Temujin »

Robert Boon wrote:Can anyone explain to me the difference between an optimised client and an optimised project application.
Much is made of this on the Seti Number Crunching board. some people get quite upset when you call seti client.

the client is boinc
the application is seti (or einstein or climate etc)

Variuos people had a go at optimising the seti application. It started with just using a different compiler, then CPU specific compiler versions, then improvements were made to the code, using different libraries, caching repeated calculations etc.

The result of this is that the optimised seti application can crunch upto 3 times faster than the standard application.
BUT, if you use the standard boinc client, you claim 1/3 credit.
So some people decided to do the same optimisation to the boinc client which improves the claimed credit.
They are even at the stage now with trux, that his opti bloinc client claims near enough the same as the standard client (some people see this as cheating, I don't)

Its all above board, the optimised applications return the same results as the standard application, they just do it quicker.