1 core only

Anything "BOINC" specific can be commented on here...such as Project news and announcements etc. Also: any problems with BOINC or maybe you have found something interesting, tell us about it. Chat about the various 3rd party client applications used for some of the projects such as optimised clients.
krazy_olie

1 core only

Post by krazy_olie »

Is there a way to set BOINC to run on 1 core only at times, it turns up the temperature about 7 degrees on each core when running, and I think i pay the electricity bill for this place.
UBT - Halifax-lad

Post by UBT - Halifax-lad »

Go to the general preferences for one of the projects you are running and alter the "On multiprocessors, use at most" to 1.

Then save it go back to BOINC select the project you have just updated the preference on through the Projects tab and click update, this will download the new setting and should start just using the 1 CPU.
gregoryw
Active UBT Contributor 10+ yrs

Post by gregoryw »

You could set the On multiprocessors, use at most setting to 1. This is in the general settings, which can be reached via Your Account on one of your projects. Next time your system accesses that project (or when you force it to access it by choosing Update), it'll pick up this new setting.

EDIT: Beaten to it by Halifax lad.
UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Post by UBT - Timbo »

gregoryw wrote:You could set the On multiprocessors, use at most setting to 1. This is in the general settings, which can be reached via Your Account on one of your projects. Next time your system accesses that project (or when you force it to access it by choosing Update), it'll pick up this new setting.

EDIT: Beaten to it by Halifax lad.
You gotta be quicker than that to get ahead of Halifax.....!

Personally I think he's got a wireless VPN straight into the forum and as soon as anything happens, he online, bashing away at the keyboard and keeping everyone informed  :D

Personally I think he should change his user name to "BOINC--Lad"... 8)

regards

Tim
krazy_olie

Post by krazy_olie »

Cheers :)
gregoryw
Active UBT Contributor 10+ yrs

Post by gregoryw »

UBT - Timbo wrote: You gotta be quicker than that to get ahead of Halifax.....!
My mistake was putting in the formatting and double-checking the exact text used in the config screen. There were only a few minutes between our replies, so I might have got ahead of UBT Halifax--Lad if I'd skipped that.

I reckon that Halifax must be paying Darren to delay the forums for the rest of us! That's how he appears to reply so fast! :twisted: