It DIED!

Having problems installing that new stick of memory? Found some great software or having issues with something? Or maybe want to chat about your PlayStation, X-Box, Nintendo, Sega, even your old Spectrum 48k....! Or maybe something you want to sell or acquire (computing related of course!). Let us know here...
jaysback

It DIED!

Post by jaysback »

Hi all.
Well 2 days my p.c. in the sig died.
So you will be around 850 credits a day down :cry:
Had a couple of reboots and bsod.
Closely followed by windows telling me that the registry was fragged.
Then a reboot, with the overclock dropped off and some wierd mem timings that it decided where there safe settings.
Re-installed windows and then after a few hours trying to move video and mp3 files off the main drive (resulting in bsod)  it fell over and shuffled off its mortal coil.
So i bring you this message via a very old duron 900, with a whole 128mb of ram and a massive 16mb vodoo 3dfx machine.
If only old p.c's were like some old cars.
Have not even bothered putting boinc on here as the 50 odd credits it stumble through a day isn't worth the hassle.

Anyway it may well mean that i move onto the next big overclocking project.
Core 2 duo, i think a E6400 2gb of geil 6400 and the abit 680i board which should be out mid december.
If all clocks well should get me 1000 credits a day i hope if not a little more.
UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Re: It DIED!

Post by UBT - Timbo »

jaysback wrote:Hi all.
Well 2 days (ag) my p.c. in the sig died.
So you will be around 850 credits a day down :cry:
Hi there,

Know the situation well......had three different PC's fail on me in the last 6-9 months - 2 were "older" machines that had been "handed down" and were just crunching, the other was my main PC and (luckily) I was able to get another motherboard (of the exact same type) and do a straight swop...!

And after all, it'll be Chrissymas soon, so a new mobo plus ancilliaries is just what you need  :wink: Personally I can't wait for the new Core Quattro's (or whatever they will call 'em.....) 4 CPU's on a single die...hmmmmmmm!

Good luck with your new "cruncher" and hope you recover all your data...

regards

Tim
jaysback

Post by jaysback »

Right are you sitting down.
http://www.scan.co.uk/Products/ProductI ... tID=491970
Check out the price.
UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Post by UBT - Timbo »

jaysback wrote:Right are you sitting down.
http://www.scan.co.uk/Products/ProductI ... tID=491970
Check out the price.
:oops:  :oops:  :oops:

and that's just for the CPU !!

Mind you, it's not quite 4 CPU's on the same "die"....aren't these really two dies on a single slab of circuit board...? (so as to fit a 775 socket).

regards

Tim
jaysback

Post by jaysback »

true.
but still - bit of overclocking on water and i reckon 3 gig per core.
Should be good for 2400ish RAC on boinc at a rough guess.
Now anyone know this sats lotto numbers.

*edit*
plus add in the cost of a real nice M/B asus stricker
http://www.scan.co.uk/Products/ProductI ... tID=505230
Then some top spec ram, couple of raptors and while we are at it a pair of these.
http://www.scan.co.uk/Products/ProductI ... tID=495286

If only santa could fit that down the chimney for me.
jaysback

Post by jaysback »

It lives.
Yet another stick of crucial ballistix goes belly.
2nd time with these.

Will ask them this time to give me some ddr2 and get myself into the whole core 2 duo scene.
UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Post by UBT - Timbo »

jaysback wrote:It lives.
Yet another stick of crucial ballistix goes belly.
2nd time with these.
Maybe there's some truth then that you shouldn't overclock (expensive) memory, coz it fails (eventually).

I've just had a Elixir 512Mb (not over-clocked) stick fail - tried it now in 3 machines and each one boots, runs and then after a short time, it's the BSOD.

S'posed to have a lifetime wrranty, but how you go about claiming a replacement is tricky as so many sources are not "official dealers" and hence the validity of the warranty is difficult to prove.

regards

Tim
jaysback

Post by jaysback »

stick running under rated speeds  (by only 5mhz) but still under.
There is a massive amount of these that have or are going bad. There was a whole thread on one of the overclocking forums regarding them  :shock:
Just to top it off there were from overclockers.co.uk
They don't / won't sell them anymore.
Tells me a story that.
UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Post by UBT - Timbo »

jaysback wrote:There is a massive amount of these that have or are going bad. There was a whole thread on one of the overclocking forums regarding them  :shock:
Just to top it off there were from overclockers.co.uk
They don't / won't sell them anymore.
Tells me a story that.
It's also shows how "competitive" the market place is - and how brands are trying to "out-do" each other by perhaps claiming that "x" is better than "y" - this is all fine and dandy - except that when short-cuts are taken to preserve margins, (and make profits in such a market), then they run the risk of products "dieing" once in use, simply because corners are being cut.

And now with the 'Net, people can find out (hopefuly) that product "x" might appear good, but actually they should stay clear of it, because "x" percentage of said products fail/don't work, etc.

I know of a few examples in my industry where products get a "boost" due to a good "one-off" review, which then leads to an over demand for the product, which over-stretches the company and forces them to cut production quality.

And the fact that I can think of two or three very specific cases where the items were "price-driven" (and hence low manufacturer margin) - so any increase in retail price would've killed the demand and people would have bought the competitor product instead...!

I know of one specific company that actually went bust, because the demand for a specific "budget" product was far greater than the brand could keep up with, so they were forced to increase the number of production staff, which forced up their overheads - and at the same time, the more expensive products were selling in fewer numbers, as the new "cheapie" product was claimed (by the reviewers) to be much better value. So, the double whammy was that the cheap product was being sold at a loss and the more expensive products (which should have helped to subsidise the cheaper product) weren't being sold at all...

Result: financial collapse

regards

Tim
UBT - PiezPiedPy

Post by UBT - PiezPiedPy »

I use komplett for my stuff

save £15 on your CPU, super fast delivery aswell
http://www.komplett.co.uk/k/ki.asp?sku=327436

P.S. Don't bother with crucial memory, it's for kids  :wink:  It can't take the punishment, they get hot spots or track leakage when you start hitting low latencys. I like to use Corsair XMS (had no probs yet, with them on constantly for yrs, unless they get over 75C loool) :twisted:
jaysback

Post by jaysback »

It's not all good news on the corsair front tbh.
I was looking at getting a pair of the 6400C4 pro with the led's on (would look good in my window case).
But after a little investigating i found this out.

Originally Posted by OP in the thread I linked to
Basically here's what corsair did:

It made Version 1.1 of Ram with Micron D9's which overclocked great, which reviewers and early custoemrs got reporting back that these are infact D9's.

Then quickly they changed their ram to version 2.2 which have PROMOS IC's, which don't over clock for crap.

I got caught into their fish net... Read that these are D9's got em because ********s HZ's were out of stock everywhere i looked and payed the price.
Basically I just received a nearly 300$ low quality ram with Promos chips...

This so called enthusiast ram but these promos chips don't overclock worth crap! They crash in orthos at their rated speeds and only become stable at DDR800 with 5-5-5-18 timings. Doesnt matter what voltage you give it.

Its rated to do DDR2 800 at 4-4-4-12 at 2.1 volts. Well guess what it fails orthos after about an 10 minutes on those settings. Great isnt it?

Im pretty ****ed off about this, talking with newegg now to exchange these for some ram where I know ill be getting D9 chips.

Warning to people who thought about buying this ram, don't buy this ram its terrible!

Basically cosrair is charging 300$ for ram which you can buy for 200ish!

Which is not so good.
I know they have offered to upgrade ppl to the 8500 stuff, but then if we had wanted that we would have got it in the first place.

But corsair in up till this point have had a very good track record.
UBT - PiezPiedPy

Cheers for that :wink:
It's gona be 18 moon till I get new hardware, so I hope someone gives em a kick up da ass before I buy new stuff  :evil:
jaysback

Post by jaysback »

I will look at be looking first thing in the new year.
Looks like it will be intel for the first time for me, have been AMD since first build back when the slot a stuff first hit the streets.
Looking at
E6600 duo
asus P5B deluxe wifi
Geil ultra 6400
22" asus monitor and a few other bits and bobs.

I will be over the moon if i can get 3.6 on it but will be happy with 3.4
Should help my RAC out a bit more.
Did look at the quad, but £650 on a cpu - too much.
Thats would cover a HID conversion and rolling road tune up to 195bhp on my A4.
I know which i would rather have.
UBT - PiezPiedPy

I'd go for the tune-up on my car - Loooool

If you know someone with a PCM-ECU programmer, I've got all the remaps  :wink:
jaysback

Post by jaysback »

Its a shame that the programmers are so much :(
Also i don't have a clue how to do it lol......

Found out last night that hey will be releasing a cheaper quad core.
Looks like it will be E6600 (2.2 per core) based.
I reckon £450ish?
MikeMarsUK
BOINCSynergy team member

Post by MikeMarsUK »

If you wait for Q2-Q3/2007 AMDs will be out too, so the prices for both AMD and Intel quads will drop like a stone.  Intel will keep the prices highish until then.

I want to get a twin-quad when the 4x4 plantform + FX-76 are released (Intel equivalent would be a Clovertown Xeon on a twin socket m/b), but I may have to wait for a year or two for the prices to drop to a level where I can afford them! :-)
jaysback

Post by jaysback »

Thats always the problem with upgrading.
How long do you wait?
There is always the next best thing just around the corner.
If only money was no object.
I could go back to phase change and shoot for quad core @ 3.6 and watch those credits come rolling in.
DREAM MODE OFF!
Last edited by jaysback on Sun Dec 24, 2006 8:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
UBT - PiezPiedPy

I'm gona wait for AMD to pop up with sumit and the prices drop, then I might get a quad board but that gives 16cpu's and the only prob with multi processors is the licensing for the software  :evil: unless you use Linux.
But most of the CAD/CAE/FEA software I use runs on windows which limits the amount of CPU's I can use.
Must be a way I can get windows to use all processors without getting eight licenses, probably a sly tweek in the registry.
jaysback

Post by jaysback »

Vista will be the killer.
Unless you fork out for the top price one you are limited to 1 cpu.
Quad core would be fine, but if you had dual quad whatever you would then have to fork out for vista professional ultimate @ £250ish before you even start on all your other software.
nightmare
jaysback

Post by jaysback »

Found this earlier.
As it stands, its not looking good for the current AMD quad solution.
http://www.hothardware.com/viewarticle. ... =911&cid=1
MikeMarsUK
BOINCSynergy team member

Post by MikeMarsUK »

While each processor only has two cores, it's not a particularly good platform, but once the quad-cores are released mid-2007 things should be different.  An overclockable 8 core system... :-)