Censorship Vote

A section to chat about whatever takes your fancy about the team in general. For queries about the UBT Forum, please post a message here. Likewise, any suggestions for making the forum better...
UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Censorship Vote

Post by UBT - Timbo »

Would be pleased on forum members views as per the following poll suggestion:

Can I add any other statement in order to cover this sort of issue?

- The admins should NOT censor anyone/anything.
- The admins should censor anyone/anything if forum rules are broken (once we've written them !!).
- The admins are in charge and members accept their best judgement.

Anything else - We can have a total of 10 options for this poll - so if the above are accepted, we need 7 more !!

regards,

Tim
UBT - Halifax-lad

Post by UBT - Halifax-lad »

Them 3 do it for me can't think of any more that need adding, keep it short & simple
Temujin

Post by Temujin »

UBT - Halifax--lad wrote:Them 3 do it for me can't think of any more that need adding, keep it short & simple
yep, they seem to cover everything
DJH@GB-Ro

Post by DJH@GB-Ro »

UBT - AJS wrote:
UBT - Halifax--lad wrote:Them 3 do it for me can't think of any more that need adding, keep it short & simple
yep, they seem to cover everything
Agreed!
Ian SB

Post by Ian SB »

:thumbright:
UBT - GysmoSan

Post by UBT - GysmoSan »

Sounds good to me :happy7:
Mark L.

Post by Mark L. »

Yep,

Those 3 will do fine for me
UBT - BHCJackie

Re: Censorship Vote

Post by UBT - BHCJackie »

UBT - Timbo wrote:- The admins should censor anyone/anything if forum rules are broken (once we've written them !!).
Ok, call me Miss Nit-Picky but aren't the two above basically the same thing said in a slightly different manner.

How about:
The Admins and Moderators are in charge of censoring anyone / anything, if / when Forum Rules are broken and the Membership accept their best judgement.
Kinda says it all really.
Temujin

Post by Temujin »

UBT - BHCJackie wrote:
UBT - Timbo wrote:- The admins should censor anyone/anything if forum rules are broken (once we've written them !!).
Ok, call me Miss Nit-Picky but aren't the two above basically the same thing said in a slightly different manner.
I think the main difference is that #1 would work to a set of predefined rules whereas #2 would be left to the admins to decide whats acceptable
UBT_Grumpy Old Bloke

Post by UBT_Grumpy Old Bloke »

UBT - Timbo wrote: - The admins should NOT censor anyone/anything.
- The admins should censor anyone/anything if forum rules are broken (once we've written them !!).
Fine by me.
UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Post by UBT - Timbo »

UBT - BHCJackie wrote:Ok, call me Miss Nit-Picky but aren't the two above basically the same thing said in a slightly different manner. How about: The Admins and Moderators are in charge of censoring anyone / anything, if / when Forum Rules are broken and the Membership accept their best judgement. Kinda says it all really.
Hi Jackie,

You're sort of on the same track as the middle option - we have rules, which the admins enforce - the difference between the two option you mention, as I see it, is in the "detail".

Basically, we've set up a public forum and we now have (essentially) 30+ odd "strangers" (most of whom have never met/spoken any of the other members - yes, I know there are some exceptions !!) and what we really need to do, is to set up some form of "administration" so that the forum can allow people on this platform to "talk" about the Team and how to get the best from it as well as having a bit of fun.

I'm also keen to ensure that everyone has a voice, that we are all "singing from the same songsheet" and that we are all aware of our collective responsibilities.

As such, we have at least 3 choices:

- the first option should be obvious - it's a free for all (within the guidlines already mentioned). At present, this is what we have as all the sections on the forum are currently unmoderated.

or

- I can "offer" it to everyone to decide the how/what/when's of what is permissable, by us agreeing in advance on what constitutes the "rules" and then we're all clear and hopefully there can be no mis-interpretation. All the members will then be aware of the "rules" and the forum will hopefully be self-policing. (This is the middle option).

But for this to happen, we've got to be in general agreement about what is/isn't allowed......! This might take a while to become the "RULES" as there may be objections to all sort of wordings, phrases, topics for inclusion, etc

or

- the admins alone "enforce" their own personal standards, (which may not be to everyones taste). This is basically the last option.

This is close to a dictatorship approach where an "unelected" person makes decisions for the rest of the membership and hopefully the membership abides by whatever decision is taken.

(Of course there are perhaps other options, which is why I was asking for more....!).

Does the above help?

regards,

Tim
Last edited by UBT - Timbo on Fri Mar 24, 2006 12:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
UBT - BHCJackie

UBT - AJS wrote:[I think the main difference is that #1 would work to a set of predefined rules whereas #2 would be left to the admins to decide whats acceptable
Yeah I see that but for a poll isn't a simple Yes / No choice better than Yes / No / Maybe?

Forum Administration, Yes / No / Maybe
- The Admins should censor anyone / anything if forum rules are broken (once we've written them !!).
- The Admins should NOT censor anyone / anything.
- The Admins are in charge and members accept their best judgement{*}.

Forum Administration, Yes / No
- The Admins and Moderators are in charge of censoring anyone / anything, if / when Forum Rules are broken and the Membership accept their best judgement.
- The Admins and Moderators should NOT censor anyone / anything.

{*} No offence meant but I'm calling this Maybe because it all depends on the Admin's best judgement.
I've been on lists / forums where there has been no concept of fairness and impartiality and the list / forum has been a dictatorship.
I've been on others where the Admin's idea of best judgement was to encourage a free-for-all flame-zone.
I've also been on some where I wouldn't trust the Admin's as far as I could spit and I wouldn't even try dribbling and I've known Admins that I wouldn't p*ss on if they were on fire - obviously I didn't last long on any of these :D

I trust Darren and Tim but there may be a time in the future when we've got Mr Flamers-Are-Us and Mrs Dictator as Admins so IMHO it's better to vote for or against Forum Administration rather than dicking about with a third wooly option and regretting it later.

Again no offence meant.
UBT - BHCJackie

UBT - Timbo wrote:You're sort of on the same track as the middle option - we have rules, which the admins enforce - the difference between the two option you mention, as I see it, is in the "detail".
See my post above. I think the third option is wooly, it depends too much on the Admin's best judgement.
We have good Admins now but in the future...............?
UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Post by UBT - Timbo »

UBT - BHCJackie wrote:See my post above. I think the third option is wooly, it depends too much on the Admin's best judgement. We have good Admins now but in the future...............?

Exactly - think we're talking on the same wavelength, but from different sides.

I personally do NOT want to be the "judge and jury" on the forum deciding what I like and what I DON'T like!! (I'm sure Darren doesn't want this either).

But...... as responsible people, we've got to give members the choice - if the majority WANT to give up ALL responsibility for having anything to do with the forum admin and what is/isn't allowed then at least we admins know what we have to do.

Hopefully the consensus will be in the direction you've already suggested. Just hope that once we've at least got some options, then we can let members decide for themselves....!

But we've got to give the options to people first...!

As for the future - if anyone can predict the future....?

As for the admin side - I'll hopefully be around for a while yet. Am sure Darren probably will and in time, I'm sure we'll have to appoint others simply because as I feared (in the distant past when having a team forum was first suggested to me) this is VERY time consuming (as I thought - no, re-phrase that - KNEW it would be). I've purposely taken (most of) the last two weeks off work so as to help get this up and running....!

And, being self-employed, I do need to earn some money to help pay for it (and other things as well).
UBT - BHCJackie

UBT - Timbo wrote:As for the future - if anyone can predict the future....?
But
you wrote:Not too worry - that all happened in your future !! - I still have that to look forward to and next time, I'll get it right - shame you lot won't be around in 2540 to see my victory!
Are you not The Master then? :wink:
UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Post by UBT - Timbo »

UBT - BHCJackie wrote:
UBT - Timbo wrote:As for the future - if anyone can predict the future....?
But
you wrote:Not too worry - that all happened in your future !! - I still have that to look forward to and next time, I'll get it right - shame you lot won't be around in 2540 to see my victory!
Are you not The Master then? :wink:

Ah, now that would be telling !!

Actually, I haven't seen the Master for a while - think he's been too busy putting in some time on the set in Cardiff !

I'm sure he'll be back sometime - once things warm up here and he can start to impose himself a little bit more....trouble is, when he's on the PC, I can't do any work...!

And he keeps leaving these wenches around the place - very offputting it is - they get bored and keep making me pots of tea and asking if I need any shopping done - they are very nice girls, but somehow, I think they like to be dominated and I'm not really that type - soon as the Master gets back, I'll have to make my own tea !!

regards,

Tim
UBT - Mikee
Marvin the Dalek

Post by UBT - Mikee »

If you want 7 more options then is it possible to vote on more than 1 item?

I was thinking of a 'right to appeal option if someone did get banned/thrown out/cencored etc.' or am I getting to much into politics as this is supposed to be a 'fun' style forum?
Follow us on Twitter... http://twitter.com/UKBOINCTeam

Image Image

UBT - Halifax-lad

Post by UBT - Halifax-lad »

Lets just have something that basically says behave yourself or else, no swearing etc etc, what you do in PM's is up to you.

You can only vote on a option once in a poll
bosh

Post by bosh »

UBT - Timbo wrote:Would be pleased on forum members views as per the following poll suggestion:

Can I add any other statement in order to cover this sort of issue?

- The admins should NOT censor anyone/anything.

Anything else - We can have a total of 10 options for this poll - so if the above are accepted, we need 7 more !!

regards,

Tim
Have i inspired this bill of rights?
UBT - PiezPiedPy

Post by UBT - PiezPiedPy »

UBT - Timbo wrote:And he keeps leaving these wenches around the place - very offputting it is - they get bored and keep making me pots of tea and asking if I need any shopping done - they are very nice girls, but somehow, I think they like to be dominated and I'm not really that type - soon as the Master gets back, I'll have to make my own tea !!
Kill the Master and consume his wealth his kingdom and his wenches, then you will have endless supplies of tea with the knowing reassurance that you will never have to make tea again 8)
UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Post by UBT - Timbo »

PiezPiedPy wrote:Kill the Master and consume his wealth his kingdom and his wenches, then you will have endless supplies of tea with the knowing reassurance that you will never have to make tea again 8)

See, this is all well and good (and not a "bad plan", when you think about it), but you do realise now, that you've TOLD him what might happen and he'll know now - he has this "mind-mail" facilty (like an ESP version of email), so he can "check up" on things without actually "logging in" in the conventional way.... I mean, he even got into my "Yahoo" account pretty easy enough and started posting messages - everyone thought it was me....! :oops:

Mind you, when he's away, life around here does just get a little bit boring....so, to have him around isn't too bad - I s'pose it's just what you get used to in the end...! And he's great at putting up shelves - doesn't even need a spirit level :shock: - the shelf just levitates up into position and stays put - exactly level - until I can mark the hole for the brackets.

regards,

Tim
UBT - PiezPiedPy

Post by UBT - PiezPiedPy »

UBT - Timbo wrote:See, this is all well and good (and not a "bad plan", when you think about it), but you do realise now, that you've TOLD him what might happen and he'll know now - he has this "mind-mail" facilty (like an ESP version of email
Bugga, Plans scrapped, maybe if we put a lead helmet over his head he won't be able to further ESPionarge our wench swooping plans.
RodEllery

Post by RodEllery »

Go ahead with the vote with your basic 3 options. BUT until the rules are decided the moderator/admins decided current policy. That way we get a discussion on the rules and the admins etc can stop the c**p if they have to.

--
Rod
Temujin

Post by Temujin »

Another board I use which is also phpBB, has an auto swear word replacer.
If anyone tries posting a swearword it is replaced with a harmless work, much like the recent word change in the person above you game thread.

I'd like to suggest that as another option

It does annoy people from Sdoodahhorpe though :D
Robert Boon

Post by Robert Boon »

UBT - Temujin Posted: Sat Apr 01, 2006 5:56 pm Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Another board I use which is also phpBB, has an auto swear word replacer.
If anyone tries posting a swearword it is replaced with a harmless work, much like the recent word change in the person above you game thread.

I'd like to suggest that as another option

It does annoy people from Sdoodahhorpe though
Plenty of placenames can run into trouble depending on how Puritanical a swearword filter is set - I once saw a genealogical website where Essex, Middlesex and Sussex all had their final three letters replaced by *** rendering the entire thing ludicrous .