2nd Weekend Crunch - UPDATE

This section is where you can post topics related to Challenges from other websites, such as Formula-BOINC, SETI-Germany and BOINCstats, as well as project challenges such as from WCG, PrimeGrid et al.

As a Team, we really want to engage as many team members with these challenges, as this gives us a great way of attracting more members to our Team...plus we get to show our strengths as a Team by (hopefully) doing well in each one.

PS: I have moved lots of topics into this section where they are relevant...as you can see, we've always been happy to take part in Challenges...and long may that continue ;-)
UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

2nd Weekend Crunch - UPDATE

Post by UBT - Timbo »

Here's the basic text I have just sent out to every member of our Team.

IMPORTANT UPDATE: 2nd "Weekend Crunch"
--------------------------------------
For those new to this team (who've joined since, say 16th March), please see here: http://www.ukboincteam.org.uk/ubt-fun.html for details of our 2nd Weekend Crunch - if you've been a member for at least the last week or so, you've been sent these details already !!

Team members recently chose "ROSETTA" as the next project that was going to be the main beneficiary from our "Weekend Crunch".

Unfortunately, it seems that their main application has a "bug" (note: NOT a virus - it's just that the program doesn't work very well at present), and this "bug" sometimes causes your computer to stop crunching work units once they to the 1% progress point. This is quite serious and it has already affected a lot of crunchers, both those who are members of our team as well as many others worldwide.

A "fix" will be forthcoming, but in the meantime, our forthcoming Weekend Crunch might now be in jeopardy as a result, as the fixed application is unlikely to be ready in time.

So, what can we do?
-------------------
There are a number of options available to us:

1) We could scrap the Weekend Crunch!
Personally, I'm not in favour of this option as we have already proved that the Crunch can benefit the projects significantly (as was seen in our 1st Crunch last month).

2) We can leave it as it and hope that no-one wastes any time crunching needlessly for ROSETTA. This is not so effective - people like to think that their contribution is worthwhile and don't like the idea of not crunching effectively. And no one can tell if/when they might receive a "buggy" work unit. Some members seem to be unaffected but no-one can guarantee this to be the case with everyone.

3) We can fall back to our back-up plan.
We always planned that if ROSETTA failed in some way - such as no work being available or the website was "down" - that the EINSTEIN project would be our back-up.

Decision time!
--------------
As things stand, I am keen to ensure that we maximise our efforts for this forthcoming weekend. And with ROSETTA in "trouble", it is with regret that I feel the need to recommend to you to consider making EINSTEIN the chosen project for this week-end.

If you wish to continue crunching for any other project, including ROSETTA, please continue to do so, especially if you are nearing the "completion dates" for any existing work units. We'll make ROSETTA the object of our next Weekend Crunch, by which time, the 1% bug should be a distant memory...!

So there we have it - our Weekend Crunch this weekend will be dedicated to EINSTEIN. And if you want, you can start crunching before midnight on Friday night - we've only got 47 hours of crunching time this weekend, (as someone, somewhere decided to put the clocks forward on Saturday night without asking us first !).

Hopefully we can still get SOME work done !!

Any Q's? Please reply here!

regards,

Tim
UBT - Mikee
Marvin the Dalek

Post by UBT - Mikee »

I'm in for sure!

Just a thought but may I suggest that members download and immediately suspend work units now (+No new work button)? If they do then there is more chance of the unit being verified as soon as the unit result is uploaded. It's not cheating as you will 'resume/start' the workunits during the Crunch time.

(Or does it not matter if the unit is verified or not?)
Follow us on Twitter... http://twitter.com/UKBOINCTeam

Image Image

UBT - Halifax-lad

Post by UBT - Halifax-lad »

Rosetta normally grants credits straight away and if your doing Einstein it doesn't take too long for results to get credit.

Also if your going to download WU's now for the weekend you will spend forever suspending all of them so if you have time to do that fair enough.

Think I'm going to do Einstein seen as though its really quick and easy
UBT - Steve Taylor

Post by UBT - Steve Taylor »

Im all for Einstein my last rosetta ones didnt work

48 hours to get to 50%
UBT - GysmoSan

Post by UBT - GysmoSan »

Einstein it is then :cheers:

Martin
UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Re: 2nd Weekend Crunch - UPDATE

Post by UBT - Timbo »

UBT - Timbo wrote:Here's the basic text I have just sent out to every member of our Team.
Should re-phrase the above to:

How to send out over 400 emails and get over 400 enemies very quickly.... :oops:

Thankfully it isn't as bad as all that - will suspect I'll get more "bad replies" over the next 24/48 hours - and some people might even leave the team - which would be a real shame....!

So, I'll take this on the chin - the old "pressure of trying to get out a message to everybody across 20+ projects and compiling one mailing list from around 1300 email addresses (all of the projects) to ensure no-one gets a duplicate" excuse doesn't really work in this case.....!

Having got it all written, proofed, re-edited about 6 times, spell-checked and then went and pasted the email list into the wrong box...and hit send !

Ah well.....off to bed.

Will panic more in the morning...!

regards

Tim

(PS I'm NOT looking for sympathy - just been a very long day !)
Darren

Post by Darren »

I have no choice. I took The Master's advice, earlier in the week, and filled my cache with Rosetta. So I'll be all alone doing my bit for the weekend crunch with no team mates there to help me. :sad1:

But I don't care every credit counts.
UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Post by UBT - Timbo »

Dazza wrote:I have no choice. I took The Master's advice, earlier in the week, and filled my cache with Rosetta. So I'll be all alone doing my bit for the weekend crunch with no team mates there to help me. :sad1:
But I don't care every credit counts.

You can always crunch Rosetta until around Friday, then suspend the project, download a few Einsteins for the weekend and then re-start on Monday on the Rosetta WU's

Oops, but then I forgot - you've got several hundred PC's !!! :oops:

As you say, they'll all count whether they are Rosetta's, Einsteins or anything else...! And all the WU's have to be done sometime!

regards,

Tim
UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Post by UBT - Timbo »

UBT - Timbo wrote:IMPORTANT UPDATE: 2nd "Weekend Crunch"

And we're OFF !

Good luck everybody, crunching for your chosen project, if not for Einstein !!

Let's see them CPU's working hard and we'll see what real crunching power can do over the next 47 hours (or longer if you so desire) - remembering that the clocks go FORWARD on Saturday night...!

regards,

Tim
UBT - GysmoSan

Post by UBT - GysmoSan »

Kicked mine off last night. I'll be out all weekend but the PC's are chrunching away 8)

Martin
Francis McDermott
Active UBT Contributor 15+ yrs

Post by Francis McDermott »

Hi all,

Just like to say that I'm crunching for Einstein too this weekend :) I did the SETI one too last month and hopefully be able to do all of the others in future.

I did get a few Rosetta WUs completed and didn't have such a bad failure rate as some people seem to have, but have never had many problems with Einstein so am happy to be doing this one.

Also thought I'd better get myself registered if the emails are going to be sent to registered users, and I can try out the new sig graphic.

Francis
UBT - Steve Taylor

Post by UBT - Steve Taylor »

Im Also crunching away at Einstein

And welcome to Francis We know have 40 registered Users
DJH@GB-Ro

Post by DJH@GB-Ro »

Started at just before 100pm last night :blob5:
DJH@GB-Ro

Post by DJH@GB-Ro »

UBT - Brabus SLR wrote:Started at just before 100pm last night :blob5:
100pm? :tard: I meant 11pm
UBT - PiezPiedPy

Post by UBT - PiezPiedPy »

I'm in - Started Friday 10pm :twisted:
UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Post by UBT - Timbo »

UBT - Timbo wrote:And we're OFF ! Good luck everybody, crunching for your chosen project, if not for Einstein !!

OK - so after 14 hours or so, we've seen a VERY HEALTHY increase in credits granted for both Einstein AND Rosetta.

Lookie here:
Einstein:
http://www.ubtchase.icandothis.co.uk/pr ... =eah&vs=uk

Rosetta:
http://www.ubtchase.icandothis.co.uk/pr ... =rah&vs=uk

And be WATCHFUL - one of my PC's (crunching Einstein) just hit a "No work sent - reached daily quota of 32 results" error !!

Don't they KNOW what we are doing for them this very weekend ??? :D

Keep on crunching !

regards,

Tim
Last edited by UBT - Timbo on Sat Mar 25, 2006 4:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
UBT - PiezPiedPy

I'm goin through 1 WU an hour, so I hopefully won't get the same error.

Have you told Einstein about the weekender ?? :violent1:
Temujin

Post by Temujin »

I know its a bit late in the day but I've just switched my 2 home computers over to Einstein.
every little helps :D

Is the default einstein app optimised?? or do I need to dl one from somewhere else?
oh, linux and winxp btw
UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Post by UBT - Timbo »

PiezPiedPy wrote:Have you told Einstein about the weekender ?? :violent1:
We hadn't actually planned on doing Einstein this weekend ! - it was going to be Rosetta - but due to issues with a bug they have, affecting some PC's, so we had to switch to Einstein (which was already confirmed as Plan B, just in case!).

As such, the decision to switch was only made on Weds just gone - as we'd heard that Rom had been brought in to help Rosetta out - but it soon became clear that he couldn't fix it in time for us for this weekend, so we reluctantly had to swop over.

Rosetta certainly knew what we were planning - but we'll do a crunch for Rosetta at a later date, once they have 100% good WU's.

regards,

Tim
UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Post by UBT - Timbo »

UBT - AJS wrote:Is the default einstein app optimised?? or do I need to dl one from somewhere else?
oh, linux and winxp btw

Hi John,

Check the "optimised" page on our website - click the graphic at the top of the forum to go there quickly - the link to the latest opti (S39L) for Einstein is for a Win XP client.

Am not sure if "Akosf" (the creator of it) has a Linux version client.

In time (soon) I hear Einstein has adopted his code to be incorporated into the default client. (Too late for this weekend).

regards,

Tim
Temujin

Post by Temujin »

UBT - Timbo wrote:Check the "optimised" page on our website - click the graphic at the top of the forum to go there quickly - the link to the latest opti (S39L) for Einstein is for a Win XP client.
Thanks Tim, thats in and running on my winxp box now.
UBT - JsF

Post by UBT - JsF »

All my machines busy crunching away Einstein.
I hope, :idea: just off to double check. :wav:
Temujin

Post by Temujin »

UBT - AJS wrote:
UBT - Timbo wrote:Check the "optimised" page on our website - click the graphic at the top of the forum to go there quickly - the link to the latest opti (S39L) for Einstein is for a Win XP client.
Thanks Tim, thats in and running on my winxp box now.
Stone me thats quick, my p4 2.5 has just rattled off 3 WUs in 20 min each :thumbup:
I'm sure this same computer used to take 7 hour/WU when I ran Einstein before.
mind you, its only claiming 4 or 5 credits whereas it used to claim 70ish
UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Post by UBT - Timbo »

UBT - AJS wrote:Stone me thats quick, my p4 2.5 has just rattled off 3 WUs in 20 min each :thumbup: I'm sure this same computer used to take 7 hour/WU when I ran Einstein before. mind you, its only claiming 4 or 5 credits whereas it used to claim 70ish
Hi John,

On my P4 2.4GHz, I've had some WU's over the last day or so that have a completion time of 1hr 30m, but some of the latest WU's are only 24 mins....!

Obviously a few variations coming through !!

So, nothing to worry about!

regards,

Tim
UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Post by UBT - Timbo »

UBT - Timbo wrote:And we're OFF !

After 24 hours, the DAILY credits for the following projects is:

Rosetta: 10,550.03 (normally daily RAC is 4,169) UP 6,381 (up 60%)

Einstein: 13,963.12 (normally daily RAC is 7,781) UP 6,182 (up 44%)

Will publish final results on the Team site on Monday !!

Keep it up people....!

regards,

Tim
DJH@GB-Ro

Post by DJH@GB-Ro »

Too many pendings! I should have built up my cache a few days ago in preparation :tard:
UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Post by UBT - Timbo »

After 36 hours, the DAILY credits for the following projects is:

Rosetta: 15,916.29 (normally daily RAC is 4,169 so 1½ days should be 6,253 - we've more than DOUBLED - 2½ times in fact!)

Einstein: 20,106.61 (normally daily RAC is 7,781, so 1½ days should be 11,671 - we've DOUBLED that!)

Keep on crunching - you know it makes sense

regards,

Tim
Last edited by UBT - Timbo on Sun Mar 26, 2006 11:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Darren

Post by Darren »

UBT - Timbo wrote:Rosetta: 15,916.29 (normally daily RAC is 4,169 so 1½ days should be 6,253 - we've more than DOUBLED - 2½ times in fact!)
According to my stats Rosetta's RAC on Friday at 11:59pm was 3,508.01 so those figures should look even better!

Darren
UBT - PiezPiedPy

Ive got about 30 WU's pending about 30 credits each :D

Don't know when they will come in :?
UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Post by UBT - Timbo »

Strictly speaking, we should only be "counting" any Einstein units that are credited within the 48 (47?) hours which make up the 2nd Weekend Crunch.

Now, of course I know that some WU's won't be validated and credited until after midnight tonight - so they will just have to be "extra's".

So, to MAXIMISE the credits we might be awarded BEFORE midnight tonight, please make sure you go the the Projects tab in BOINC Manager, single click on Einstein in the project window and then click UPDATE to "flush through" any finished work that's at 100% progress.

(Do the same with any other projects you might have on the go as well - so we can get a good total for all projects for the entire weekend...! )

regards,

Tim
UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Post by UBT - Timbo »

Dazza wrote:According to my stats Rosetta's RAC on Friday at 11:59pm was 3,508.01 so those figures should look even better! Darren
Hi Darren,

I was in such a tizz on Friday night, that I forgot to check the RAC for both projects. So, the figure I quoted above was from the two project sites, after 24 hours - even so, it's still an impressive performance by the team.

It'll be interesting to see how many actually "crunched" solely for the two projects.

regards,

Tim
Temujin

Post by Temujin »

Well I ran out of work for Einstein on my P4, it will only let me have 32 WUs a day and they're only taking 20 min each :(
I'm gonna let it run till tuesday morning to make up.
UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Post by UBT - Timbo »

UBT - AJS wrote:Well I ran out of work for Einstein on my P4, it will only let me have 32 WUs a day and they're only taking 20 min each :(
I'm gonna let it run till tuesday morning to make up.
Hi John,

I had the exact same problem - those "short" WU's are a real problem for a fast machine, if they limit to 32 WU per day...!

But fortunately, with a 2 day cache already started mid-last week, I've just got enough to get me to the small hours of Monday - then the relevant PC will switch back to SETI.
Temujin

Post by Temujin »

UBT - Timbo wrote:But fortunately, with a 2 day cache already started mid-last week, I've just got enough to get me to the small hours of Monday - then the relevant PC will switch back to SETI.
Yes well, as you know, I left it a bit late this time and as official UBT Donkey User Of The Day thats to be expected :D
UBT - BHCJackie

Post by UBT - BHCJackie »

UBT - Timbo wrote:Strictly speaking, we should only be "counting" any Einstein units that are credited within the 48 (47?) hours which make up the 2nd Weekend Crunch.
No offence, oh honoured Master, but surely any WU's that are sent by the project and completed during the weekend should be counted.

One of my WU's was sent to another user on 16th and they haven't reported back yet, their deadline is 30th.
IMHO whatever credit I get for that WU should be counted in the weekend because that's when I crunched it. If I'd had one of you guys the WU would probably be done by now so UBT would get the credit.

Just my £0.02 :confused2:
Temujin

Post by Temujin »

UBT - AJS wrote:Yes well, as you know, I left it a bit late this time and as official UBT Donkey User Of The Day thats to be expected :D
haha, nice one Tim :sign5:
UBT - Halifax-lad

UBT - BHCJackie wrote:IMHO whatever credit I get for that WU should be counted in the weekend because that's when I crunched it. If I'd had one of you guys the WU would probably be done by now so UBT would get the credit.
The problem with that is no one has the time to check through all the results just to see what was done at the weekend and credited at a later date.

and the other problem is if we did have some one sad enough to do that Einstein don't keep a log of results that users have done once there in and credited there gone again, so no lists of Wu's completed
UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Post by UBT - Timbo »

UBT - BHCJackie wrote:No offence, oh honoured Master, but surely any WU's that are sent by the project and completed during the weekend should be counted. One of my WU's was sent to another user on 16th and they haven't reported back yet, their deadline is 30th. IMHO whatever credit I get for that WU should be counted in the weekend because that's when I crunched it. If I'd had one of you guys the WU would probably be done by now so UBT would get the credit. Just my £0.02 :confused2: [/color]

Hi Jackie,

Trouble is this:

1) We cannot easily find out when the work unit you downloaded was returned.

2) We cannot easily find out when (or even if) it will be validated.

3) We cannot easily find out if it received any credits after validation.

So, in the strictest sense, the easiest way to see the "effect" of having a Weekend Crunch is to just start crunching a couple of days before in order to build up a "head" of completed WU's that will be credited over the period (and hence they will count). Likewise, I chose midnight as the start finish time for a couple of reasons:

1) few people (except the dedicated few) stay up that late, so chances are the "Crunch" will start earlier than the start time and will finish after the ending time. So, the effect of the Crunch will be greater anyways.

2) Secondly, we need to think of "swings and roundabouts" as some WU's will not be credited perhaps for a week or two - (but they will still count towards our running total of combined credits).

If somehow, we can count the credits given for a WU that was "returned" within the period of the crunch, that might help to be more "accurate".

But in the end, the main point of doing a "Crunch" is to feel that as many members as possible are all doing the same thing at once....even if the credits turn up at different times.

And in that, we've been particularly successful.

So, if we've created a "surge" of interest and people continue to think we're having some fun and still churning out the results for the projects, then it's a "win, win" thing.

And if you think a Weekend Crunch is "cool" - wait 'til you hear what we've got coming up.....!!

regards,

Tim
UBT - Halifax-lad

UBT - Timbo wrote:And if you think a Weekend Crunch is "cool" - wait 'til you hear what we've got coming up.....!!
I have already told you that I am not going to do a naked Victory dance for you on webcam :!:
Mark L.

Post by Mark L. »

UBT - Halifax--lad wrote:I have already told you that I am not going to do a naked Victory dance for you on webcam :!:
Thank goodness for that!

Oh, was that out loud?

:wink:
UBT - BHCJackie

UBT - Timbo wrote:So, in the strictest sense, the easiest way to see the "effect" of having a Weekend Crunch is to just start crunching a couple of days before in order to build up a "head" of completed WU's that will be credited over the period (and hence they will count).
OK, no worries
UBT - Timbo wrote:And if you think a Weekend Crunch is "cool" - wait 'til you hear what we've got coming up.....!!
You're going to rewrite the Llama Song and it's going to be the official team anthem - YAY :cheers:
UBT - BHCJackie

UBT - Halifax--lad wrote:I have already told you that I am not going to do a naked Victory dance for you on webcam :!:
But I thought you were supposed to be doing a naked Victory Dance while singing the Llama Song.
I'm heartbroken now :crybaby:
UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Post by UBT - Timbo »

UBT - AJS wrote:haha, nice one Tim :sign5:

Aaah - you spotted it too quickly - gonna have to think up a new one now you've changed the avatar.....

maybe "aluminium tin-can man"?

or "teutonic terror"

or.......(thinking cap on mode )

regards,

Tim
Temujin

Post by Temujin »

haha, nice one Tim :sign5:
Aww, you've gone and changed it back :(
UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Post by UBT - Timbo »

UBT - AJS wrote:Aww, you've gone and changed it back :(

Oh no I haven't !!!!!

regards,

Tim
UBT - Halifax-lad

UBT - BHCJackie wrote:
But I thought you were supposed to be doing a naked Victory Dance while singing the Llama Song.
I'm heartbroken now :crybaby:
you can dance to it if you like, the Llams song needs to die :violent2: :violent2:
UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Post by UBT - Timbo »

After 48 hours, the TWO DAY TOTAL credits for the following projects is:

Rosetta: 18,691.37 (normally daily (correct) RAC is 3,508.01 so 2 days should be 7,016.02 - and we have improved on that by a factor of 2.66!)

Einstein: 28,247.91 (normally daily (correct) RAC is 7,113.05, so 2 days should be 14,226.10 - and we HAVE DOUBLED that!)

WELL DONE EVERYBODY !!

regards,

Tim