Upload Issues

SETI@home and SETI BETA - project now closed, maybe for good :-(
UBT - Halifax-lad

Upload Issues

Post by UBT - Halifax-lad »

Unable to upload work at the moment but not a problem as work can still be downloaded
Martle

Post by Martle »

Guess who's just started crunching SETI?  :wink:

You can blame me for breaking it.  :D
UBT - Halifax-lad

Results now uploaded :D
James Box

Post by James Box »

What's the cause of Validate Error?

I uploaded this one yesterday, but when the 3rd one came in, they all got validate error.

http://setiathome.berkeley.edu/workunit ... d=94823475
UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Post by UBT - Timbo »

James Box wrote:What's the cause of Validate Error?

I uploaded this one yesterday, but when the 3rd one came in, they all got validate error.

http://setiathome.berkeley.edu/workunit ... d=94823475

Could be either a noisy or erroneous WU. Happens sometimes. Seems to be the specific WU at fault, due to 3 different computers all having the same error code....!

What a waste of crunching time.... :cry:

regards

Tim
Temujin

Post by Temujin »

UBT - Halifax--lad wrote:Results now uploaded :D
and down it goes again  :(

at least they're working on it
October 15, 2006
We are temporarily halting the project as we're bringing the upload server back online. This will affect both uploads and downloads until we have the server back in working order.
James Box

Post by James Box »

Just as I finish all the WUs I have...

Time to get another project started
UBT - Halifax-lad

Busy weekend. On Thursday afternoon our mail server up and died. We were planning on replacing it anyway but this more or less forced the issue. We are still in the process of recovery and dealing with configuration complexities. Mail behavior is mostly normal at this point, with occasional unexpected quirks that need to be ironed out.
On Sunday, our upload server (kryten) lost the ability to NFS mount another machine and this had a domino effect on the whole server back end. This has been a problem before (the sudden loss of NFS mounts) with far less tragic results, but the solution for this was and still is rather simple: reboot the machine. However, upon reboot the RAID device storing the uploaded results forced a resync, so we stopped the project for a few hours to let this happen in peace. Once back on line, the backlogged traffic caught up relatively quickly.

In general, server uptime has been excellent over the past 6-12 months when compared to days of yore. So naturally as soon as we started sending out a mass mail to inactive users asking them to rejoin the project, several servers decide to flake out on us. Talk about bad timing. Oh well.
UBT - Mikee
Marvin the Dalek

Post by UBT - Mikee »

Seems both the Seti servers are down again and unlikely to get a kick until tomorrow when the staff get back to campus. Hope everyone who run these remotely have a few days cache!

http://setiathome.berkeley.edu/forum_th ... p?id=36746
Follow us on Twitter... http://twitter.com/UKBOINCTeam

Image Image

Rockinfroggi

Post by Rockinfroggi »

After giving Einstein a quick burst I thought I'd give seti some of my time, managed to get wu's the other day and crunched away but now they are just in a constant state of downloading, download pending or retry.

I know the upload download sever was down for a while yesterday but they all show as running now but still nothing. Is there anything I need to do my end like reset project or something?

Confuzled

Gary.
UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Post by UBT - Timbo »

Rockinfroggi wrote:After giving Einstein a quick burst I thought I'd give seti some of my time, managed to get wu's the other day and crunched away but now they are just in a constant state of downloading, download pending or retry.....
Hi Gary,

I had the same issue on SETI Beta yesterday - completed WU's waiting to be uploaded back to SETI, but just errors.

In the end, they will clear themselves. Or you can try to upload directly, by selecting the project in the "Projects" tab and then click on "update".

Another way is is select the "Transfer" tab, click on a WU to upload and then click "Retry now".

But don't be too worried - after any issue, SETI takes a while to recover - it's simply due to the fact that SETI@home is the most successful BOINC project and hence has many thousands of people all trying to update/upload at once...!

regards

Tim
Rockinfroggi

Post by Rockinfroggi »

UBT - Timbo wrote:
Rockinfroggi wrote:After giving Einstein a quick burst I thought I'd give seti some of my time, managed to get wu's the other day and crunched away but now they are just in a constant state of downloading, download pending or retry.....
Hi Gary,

I had the same issue on SETI Beta yesterday - completed WU's waiting to be uploaded back to SETI, but just errors.

In the end, they will clear themselves. Or you can try to upload directly, by selecting the project in the "Projects" tab and then click on "update".

Another way is is select the "Transfer" tab, click on a WU to upload and then click "Retry now".

But don't be too worried - after any issue, SETI takes a while to recover - it's simply due to the fact that SETI@home is the most successful BOINC project and hence has many thousands of people all trying to update/upload at once...!

regards

Tim
Ok, thanks for that Tim, I had tried update and retry now so I guess while I wait for it to sort itself out I should crunch on another project to keep things moving.

Gary.
Rockinfroggi

Post by Rockinfroggi »

Still having no joy on one of my systems with downloads.
Three of my systems have received new work units from seti after a long delay but the fourth has been stuck in a state of downloading for nearly 3 days now.
I did yesterday hit the reset project button so now as well as wu stuck at zero progress download I also have the seti files trying to download.

Checked the messages and they throw no light on the problem just saying the project servers could be down which they are clearly not as I'm getting WU's on my other systems.

I was going to try and detach from the project and then re-attach but as the detach button is greyed out am unable to do so.

If anyone has any suggestions I would be most grateful.

Gary.
Temujin

Post by Temujin »

You could try restarting boinc. Shut it down completely and restart it.
Sometimes boinc can get confused if/when a projects DNS settings have changed and a quick restart can sort it.
Dunno if its the cause of your current problems but its an easy thing to try.
UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Post by UBT - Timbo »

Rockinfroggi wrote:Still having no joy on one of my systems with downloads......
If BOINC is running OK and you're able to download WU's for another project on this machine, then you could try the reset project function, which will just d/l all the required SETI files again.

If that doesn't work, you can shut down BOINC and do some manual deletions in the setiweb.ssl.berkeley.edu folder (under the BOINC/projects directory).

Alternatively, if you've got no WU's there from SETI or any other project, just uninstall BOINC and start again....making sure after you've uninstalled that you also delete the aforementioned BOINC program directory (coz uninstalling doesn't delete your user files...and you want to have a clean install).

If you've still got WU's to crunch, then let them finish and then try this...!

regards

Tim
Rockinfroggi

Post by Rockinfroggi »

I have tried that and a complete system reboot and have also updated the Boinc Manager.
While waiting for this to sort itself out I have been crunching Rosetta wu's and they seem to download with no problem, so it seems to be an issue with this one system and seti.

I'll give it a bit longer before I get the sledge hammer out, but I'm getting a headache from banging my head against the wall  :banghead:

Update: Out of the blue some of the files have started to download but not all, so I'll just keep an eye on things for now and see what happens.

Gary.
Papa

Post by Papa »

I'm having problems with Seti today too.

The upload and download servers are sluggish at best at one point one of my best machines ran out of WUs (it normally buffers abour 25 WUs) so it must have been struggling for a while.

I've attached it to SIMAP for now but I haven't the time to go around all my machines and attach to other projects on them too.

Papa
Papa

Post by Papa »

Most my seti clients have stopped reporting.

An update seems to fix things (which is easy if you just have 1 or 2 clients).

That's why my RAC has slumped from >4k to <3k

Time to get back on the horse.