Robocopy - Run don't Walk to Learn How to Use it :)

Having problems installing that new stick of memory? Found some great software or having issues with something? Or maybe want to chat about your PlayStation, X-Box, Nintendo, Sega, even your old Spectrum 48k....! Or maybe something you want to sell or acquire (computing related of course!). Let us know here...
Zydor

Robocopy - Run don't Walk to Learn How to Use it :)

Post by Zydor »

In chat with a few people around the Web it dawned on me that the existence of the "Robocopy" command (no quotes), is not well known, and copying was going on taking zillions of time.

Stats below are with a i7-3960x

Robocopy was introduced by Microsoft with Win 7, it does NOT work with earlier versions. It is an EXTREMELY fast copying utility. A test I did just before writing this so I could quote "live" stuff, copied 3.1Gb in 17 seconds .....

On that copy session, DOS reported the transfer as 179,435,063 Bytes per sec .... or 10267.356 Mega Bytes/min.

So, to Robocopy a Disc of 100Gb would take me around 9mins 20secs (not days ....)

The above example times are with an i7-3960x running the command inside a DOS box, so scale according to processor you have. Its still blindingly fast, whatever way you cut it, whatever processor you have, compared to other copy commands.

The Robocopy command will use Multi-Threading, hence the speed. Some of the command options need a little Focus by the user as the syntax is different from classic DOS commands - but the result is well worth the investment of time.

The full Robocopy command set can be seen at:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robocopy

Run, don't walk to get up to speed on Robocopy if you are not aware of it (and have Win V7 as a minimum) ..... :)

Make sure you read the guide properly ....... don't assume the Syntax is like all other MS copy-like commands, it's not - READ THE WIKI ARTICLE QUOTED ABOVE
UBT - PiezPiedPy

Post by UBT - PiezPiedPy »

Nice1, I'll be using that  8)
Zydor

Post by Zydor »

Be aware that one of the reasons its so fast, is that it copies the file structure almost instantly, then in the background downloads content. 3Gb in around 15 seconds with me.

Some regard that as "cheating" - somewhat silly attitude as this means the application returns control to you fast, and finishes off in the background. 100Gb in 9mins or so is fine by me - however they do it :)

There are a number of different "versions" of the overall function from different people/vendors - as to which each prefers, well that's a personal thing at the end of the day. Just be aware there are a number of utilities like this one meeting the need, Robocopy is not the only one....

... Teracopy (google it) is a Windows based front end to all this, I use it a lot, see: http://codesector.com/teracopy/  (don't be caught by the stupid Download button, scroll down the bottom of page for the Teracopy download)