Primegrid cheaters.

A section to chat about whatever takes your fancy about the team in general. For queries about the UBT Forum, please post a message here. Likewise, any suggestions for making the forum better...
Jeffers
Active UBT Contributor 15+ yrs

Primegrid cheaters.

Post by Jeffers »

I was amazed to see the announcement from Primegrid that they had caught people cheating to gain credits! 1 billion points deducted from one of the teams involved! I just can't imagine why someone would want to do this. It's pathetic and goes against everything that these distributed computing projects stand for.
hgblade

Post by hgblade »

Wow - that's incredible!! But if I read the notice correctly it suggests that several teams have each had more than 1 billion deducted (which is even worse).

I'm coming up to 200 million - a personal objective I set myself some time ago, although without a definite timescale as I've done other things as well. When crunching PG it's been nice to keep an eye on my PG ranking - so knowing that people have been cheating like this is particularly annoying!!
Jeffers
Active UBT Contributor 15+ yrs

Post by Jeffers »

Yep, on re-reading the notice it does imply that more than one team has lost more than a billion credits....
I'm glad that it's nothing to do with us!
UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Post by UBT - Timbo »

Hi all,

Like others, I'm astounded that any crunchers would be so flagrant as to cheat in order to gain credits on something so "basic" as BOINC.....I can understand it from a BitCoins perspective as one can trade those....and hence there's something for these fraudsters to gain...

But cheating in order to obtain extra credits on BOINC?? What's the point (other than proving that it can be done)...?

I hope no one from UBT is involved in cheating any of the BOINC projects...

regards
Tim