Benefits of a spring clean

A section to chat about whatever takes your fancy about the team in general. For queries about the UBT Forum, please post a message here. Likewise, any suggestions for making the forum better...
hgblade

Benefits of a spring clean

Post by hgblade »

One of my computers died last week, so I had to recover the contents of the disks (most of which was backed up, anyway) and install one of the drives in my other machine whilst I await delivery later this week of a new replacement.

I took the opportunity to give the working system a complete clean out while the cover was off - and what a difference!

I've been running Eon and Asteroids on both machines, and getting a combined RAC of around 690 on Eon and 1150 on Asteroids. Since cleaning the working system the RACs have gone up to 730 and 2300 - on just the 1 machine!!!
whitecrow

Post by whitecrow »

Thats real cool any tips for cleaning?

I take 4 fan filters which catch most dust clean them every Mounth if i can.
but only 4 the fans got filters.
3 other fans no filters but can wipe around clean .

not attempted to disconect my two crossfire graphics cards yet to clean them some how.

but i see dust building up around allrdy.

seem get loads dust my room dam it.  :twisted:  :evil:
If i turn all my fans on max it like air con in summer prety cool but to noisy i keep them min setting.
hgblade

Post by hgblade »

Don't know if this is the most efficient - or even the safest - way, but it's proven useful.

We've got a small vacuum cleaner with variable speed control, so I attach the thin plastic nozzle (I think it's for getting down into chairs and sofas) and with the vacuum on a low suction I clean carefully as much dust out as possible. You can also use something like a small paintbrush to encourage some of the dust to move. Then I use a can of compressed air to finish the job off - still keeping the vacuum going. Using the plastic straw attachment on the air can it's possible to get into many of the more awkward places. I've never needed to remove the graphics card.
whitecrow

Post by whitecrow »

Seems simlair to what i do. but with my crossfire Graphics cards its hard get in there.

I got Card on top Card conected togeatour. they both have two fans each oh card.

so card tops fans are above the other one strange.there big cards .

----
----    <--- like that

also one normual my fans has corsair cooling conected to Prossesor i use hover on that seems ok. .

maybe i need air spray . just can't' get in there with hover or need small atachment i guess.
UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Post by UBT - Timbo »

Hi,

Whilst a vacuum cleaner (plus attachment) is a worthwhile device to use, I team it up with a half-inch paintbrush (which is kept for cleaning duty and has never seen a drop of paint ever :-) ).

Then, it's just a question of using the paint brush to carefully move/flick up any dust off any surface (or any nooks & crannies), which the suction from the cleaner then sucks safely away.

This also works for keyboards and laptops, though you need to be a bit careful, in case the suction removes the keytops ;-)

regards,
Tim
Last edited by UBT - Timbo on Sat Feb 16, 2013 4:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
hgblade

Post by hgblade »

UBT - Founder wrote:Hi,

This also works for keyboards and laptops, though you need to be a bit careful, in case the suction removes the keytops ;-)

regards,
Tim
Tell me about it!!!  :roll:

And it's no fun looking through the dustbag for 3 or 4 escapees. A salutory lesson indeed.  :)
Zydor

Post by Zydor »

Useful trick for cleaning the reverse side of fan blades, from the front of the machine without battling through a cage from the inside ....

Visit a local Dentist, and get hold of a packet of the largest Dentil Brushes designed to clean inside the gaps/slots between teeth, most will give them away, but they are cheap enough if you have to buy them.

They are just the right size - and right softness/stiffness balance -  for getting into the recessed part of the curve on the back of the front  fan blades of the PC. Its then a breeze to clean the back of them properly. Old Toothbrush is a good substitute, but the Dental Brushes are near perfect.

Squirt of air blows off the last bits of matted dust dislodged by the brush(es)